Penny Lane

Canadians stand up to Islamophobe in social experiment that ends with punch

24 posts in this topic

A video attracting a lot of attention online proves that multiculturalism packs a punch in Canada, when the filmmaker’s "social experiment" demonstrates how some Canadians will leap to the defence of a Muslim person singled out for abuse, even in the wake of recent attacks by self-radicalized Islamists.

Omar Albach --- an 18-year-old student at York University --- and two friends --- tested Canada’s racial tolerance by staging a charade involving an actor dressed head-to-toe in traditional Islamic garb and another Caucasian actor who accosts him in public.

They recorded what transpired on a video posted to YouTube, ‘Canadians react to Ottawa shooting racism,’ that has attracted a lot of attention since it was posted on Monday, garnering more than 400,000 views as of Wednesday morning.

The "racist" character in the video asks the "Muslim" character to step out of a line of people waiting for a bus, accusing him of being a terrorist threat. None of the bystanders in the video support the "Islamophobic" actor. One man emphatically rejects the diatribe, pointing out that Canadians can’t blame all Muslims for the violent action of fanatics.

"You know what? You can’t stereotype and judge people by their clothes," the man says in the video.

Another man gets so aggravated that he punches the heckling actor in the face, giving him a bloody nose.

Albach, who was born in Canada of Palestinian descent says the purpose of the video was to “to see if people feel safe around Muslims or people who look like Muslims.”

The video was created in Hamilton, Ont. --- the home town of murdered Canadian soldier Cpl. Nathan Cirillo --- to gauge if Canadian Islamophobia was on the rise following the shooting rampage by lone wolf gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau at the National War Memorial and Parliament Hill last week.

"I wanted to see how that would change the views of Canadians," Albach told CTV News Channel in an interview Wednesday.

"They all responded perfectly, they all stood up for the Muslim man," he said.

Albach, who is Muslim, feels encouraged by the outcome of his video.

"I’ve learned that Canada is very tolerant --- it’s proven that Canadians have become more tolerant and knowledgeable about who is a terrorist (and who is not) --- and just because there is one radicalized person in a sect or religion does not make every person in that religion a radicalized person," he told CTV News Channel.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadians-stand-up-to-islamophobe-in-social-experiment-that-ends-with-punch-1.2077093

[i'd embed the actual video BUT APPARENTLY I have forgotten how to do that. It's linked in the article.]

Edited by Penny Lane

Yeah for Canada.

Nothing speaks about Tolerance for others views like beating someone in the face for having a different opinion. You must be bursting with pride for the peace and tolerance displayed in that video.

AWESOME <3 <3 <3

I don't condone how physical it got!!

BUT.... I am very proud to see that others are still willing to stand up for those being mistreated!

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Yeah for Canada.

Nothing speaks about Tolerance for others views like beating someone in the face for having a different opinion. You must be bursting with pride for the peace and tolerance displayed in that video.

I am.

I'm sorry you missed everything except the last thirty seconds of that video somehow. I don't condone violence (and I don't think it's necessary to exaggerate and call one punch a beating) and that guy was in the wrong, too. That's not the way to go about voicing an opinion.

Again, sorry you missed the positives and focused on the negative.

Glad to see folks stand up for him. It's a shame the guy hit him in the face. Racial and religious intolerance has no place anywhere.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I am.

I'm sorry you missed everything except the last thirty seconds of that video somehow. I don't condone violence (and I don't think it's necessary to exaggerate and call one punch a beating) and that guy was in the wrong, too. That's not the way to go about voicing an opinion.

Again, sorry you missed the positives and focused on the negative.

Apology accepted

If I hit you in the face and cause your nose to bleed. Reckon the Po PO won't charge me because it's really not a beating

Shame he was not in the US and armed.

Edited by The Nature Boy

If I hit you in the face and cause your nose to bleed. Reckon the Po PO won't charge me because it's really not a beating

...the police won't charge you if you bloody my nose if I don't file a complaint. How many bar fights do cops break up without arrest?!

thank goodness he was not in the US and armed!!

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

[sos] That was one of the things I thought too.

If everyone involved had a gun, the entire situation would have been resolved in a far more civilized manner. [eos]

...the police won't charge you if you bloody my nose if I don't file a complaint. How many bar fights do cops break up without arrest?!

thank goodness he was not in the US and armed!!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Apology accepted

I said nothing about the police or charges. Just that I wouldn't call one punch to the face a beating.

Not sure this is the video to be using as a tool for showing a level of tolerance. When someone gets sucker punched in the face, I'd say tolerance was lost and so was the message.

Not sure this is the video to be using as a tool for showing a level of tolerance. When someone gets sucker punched in the face, I'd say tolerance was lost and so was the message.

Ignoring the peaceful words of the vast majority and focusing on the physical acts of the minority makes no sense to me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I knew it. Canada loves Islamic terrorists.

I sense an imminent threat from the North. I propose we gather our pitchforks and weapons and maintain a diligent eye on all Canadians trying to come down and corrupt our values. We should continue this vigilance until Canadians adopt the proper level of paranoia, intolerance. distrust and alarmist attitudes that are necessary to keep our society safe.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265