linh1

A different married or single tax filing decision problem

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We have been married close to 5 years. My husband's income is all from investments, which have nice deductables, so he does not need me for tax purposes.

I am never been to the States, never had a US visa, have no income, and am not required to file a US tax return. I have no SSN and no other tax ID.

Therefore we definitely are not filing separately.

So my husband just filed "single."

Did he (we) screw up?

Linh1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

But 1040 asks for my SSN. I don't have one, cant get one. And the way it worked on the TAX ID number (TIN) was: He could not file electronically because as expat, he needed to submit a form that had to be mailed. In that case I would have to apply for a TIN by mail, AND AND, I could not use that TIN for that TAX year, only the next one.Says plainly.

So no SSN or TIN, so he filed singly. And I have zero connection to the USA. Except wife.

OK, so he has to submit ammended forms for last how many years? Three?

I guess that will take six months to go through system.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If the tax are due and you are trying to file for the TIN you actually have to file them together at a different location. They are very specific about that.

I want to do this for 2014. The previous years I filed Head of Household and the IRS and State approved it. We have one son. I think it had something to do with us living in two separate countries or something. I spoke to the IRS about it on several occasions explaining that I have been married for 9 years and they did not indicate that I would have to refile those tax years. In my case, if I did then they would owe me money and that could be why they do not bother with it. Personally, I want it to be done correctly for 2014.

Paula

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.