Empress1

what does the approval date on the I-797 mean?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Guys,

we are freaking out that the "Approval Notice validity date" means that i have to be in the US that date, regardless of a date on the Visa. And the end of that date is coming quicker than expected.

So our understanding was that when the K1 visa is eventually given, it will have a US arrival date that confirms that I have to BE LIVE in the US before the expiration of the "I-797 Approval notice valid date".

So this expiration on the I-797 is getting close, but the procedure isn't moving fast enough (in our estimation) to allow us meet that date. so I had tried to do some research about the meaning of that date and these links are the better ones:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/52523-whats-form-i-797-im-confuse/

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-I129f.html (see 3.7

it appears to suggest that due to time delays not caused by the petitioner and the fiance, the 4 month is NOT always the case, and that the K-1 visa date would override the (soon expiring) approval date on the NOA-2 so we should expect the visa itself to have a more future date for us to plan for our wedding in the US as well as travel and arrival in the US - which would be nice to transition life over 2 countries. So the K1 process knows about this condition (shortness of 4 months on NOA-2 to meet that approval date) and in anycase, the K-1 Visa itself would give you more time to travel

Please, anyone with history on these circumstances, especially from Lagos consulate, please respond on here. does the time on the visa ensure you have to respect the Approval Notice dates.

Also any advice is welcome. It appears we don't have to do any thing apart from just keep to our own end of the bargain.

Cheers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

the "validity date" will be extended by the embassy if necessary if you have not reached the interview stage yet.

9/16/2013-I-129-F Petition Rec`d-(Dallas lockbox, transfered to CSC)
9/19/2013-Notice Date- NOA-1
10/1/2013-Notice Date- NOA-2-I-129-F Petition Approved!
11/1/2013-NVC Rec`d I-129-F Petition
11/14/2013- U.S.Consulate- BKK Rec`d I-129-F
11/23/2013-Rec`d Packet 3
12/1/2013-Medical Exam
12/9/2013-Packet 3 sent to U.S. Consulate-BKK
12/16/2013-Rec`d Packet 4
1/22/2014-Interview/Approved!
1/25/2014-Rec`d Visa/Passport (Korat)

4/30/2014-POE-Chicago-O`Hare
5/1/2014-Successful S.S.# Application(Chicago office)Marriage License(Cook County)
5/2/2014-Married!
5/16/2014-AOS,I-765,I-131 package received by U.S.C.I.S.
5/19/2014-Notice Date- NOA-1`s
5/23/2014-Rec`d Biometrics Appointment Notice
5/30/2014-Early Biometrics(Chicago location)
7/26/2014-I-765 and I-131 Approved (card production)
8/01/2014-Rec`d Combo Card
9/10/2014-Rec`d Potential Interview Waiver Letter
3/20/2015-Filed form with CIS Ombudsman requesting assistance with AOS.
3/21/2015-Rec`d case# from Ombudsman.
4/03/2015-Sent I-765/I-131 renewal documents to U.S.C.I.S.
4/9/2015- NOA Notice Dates-I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/10/2015-NOA Notice Date-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/27/2015-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.

5/22/2015-Rec`d RFE for expired Medical Exam.

5/23/2015-Rec`d Renewal Combo Card.

6/8/2015-Updated I-693 Medical Exam sent to U.S.C.I.S. (New York office)

6/20/2015-Rec`d Welcome Letter.

6/24/2015-Rec`d Green Card via U.S.P.S.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Verify the visa approval extension with the embassy.

:time: It helps everyone that uses the forum, or is helped by the forum.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Approval date of the I-129F petition and approval date of the actual K-1 visa are not one in the same. The approved I-129F petition allows the foreign fiance(e) to apply for a K-1 visa at the US consulate in their country. You are supposed to interview before the expiration date. Once they apply and are approved after a K-1 visa interview, then the visa will be issued and validity of the visa begins from there, or from the date of the medical if there was a medical condition noted. Typically the K-1 visa will have an expiration date of 6 months from date of issue. You must enter the US before the expiration date on the visa.

If you won't be interviewing before the 4 month expiration of the I-129F petition, then many consulates will automatically extend its validity. You can always contact the consulate to let them know and make sure it will be extended for you.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.