elgringo954

Form I-864 Affidavit of Support / section Part 5 / household size/somewhat confusing!!!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Under the instructions it states not to count one person twice and it says to add 1 if married. But now if your sponsoring your newly wed bride from a fiancé petition, then what?? So essentially if in my household im sponsoring my newly wed wife/former fiancé, myself and paying child support on my son whom lives with my Ex, how would I total that?? Help please, instructions are a little confusing. Thanks all

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I think that married part you're mentioning is for people like joint sponsors where an LPR or USC (who isn't married to the beneficiary) includes their husband/wife in the checkbox to show they have an extra person in their household other than the petitioner and beneficiary being sponsored.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Timeline

ok, well then in simple terms if my household is going to cover my fiancé/now wife, myself and my son not living with me but supporting financially is the count then going to be 3?? The sponsored fiancé/wife, myself and my son?

Timeline

I was under the impression that I was supposed to fill out that section, hummmmmm, confusing and the instructions dpnt really make it any clearer if your sponsored person is your wife because it just says add one if youre married

Timeline

My mom and I are filling at our I-864's through Skype together this weekend. I'm not looking forward to it one bit because of that one stupid checkbox section. Wayyyy to confusing and then the "instructions" don't make it one bit easier.

But let's see...
You're sponsoring one immigrant, correct? that's 1 from part 3 line 7. 1 for yourself not being sponsored. 1 for your son as a dependent child. lines 1-7 would indeed equal 3.

I think you and I are just making it harder than necessary, haha. Your household is obviously going to be three people anyway, so it's only a matter of checking the correct boxes.

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.

(IR-1 Journey):

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

You cannot count the same person twice, because one person could fit more than one category. If you previously sponsored a spouse or a child they could fit in box 3 and 6 or 4 and 6, respectively.

Since you are sponsoring your spouse, they are included in no 1, so you cannot count her again in box 3, just leave it blank. Your son is in box 4. If you have never sponsored anyone else, have no other children/dependents, then the total on no 8 is 3.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

3 people :)

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Timeline

its making more sense now but only one question remains, I listed my son only because I pay child support, however I don't claim him on my taxes, so technically I probably don't even need to list him then, I think. What do you think?

Timeline

Its starting to make more sense now and only one question remains: My son that I listed as claiming him

I only thought so because im paying child support, but I don't claim him on my taxes so im thinking that I probably don't really need to list him then as a dependent??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Its starting to make more sense now and only one question remains: My son that I listed as claiming him

I only thought so because im paying child support, but I don't claim him on my taxes so im thinking that I probably don't really need to list him then as a dependent??

you count all minor children regardless of whether they are claimed as dependents on your tax returns or not.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Timeline

understood. Thanks so much for everyone's assistance in this matter

understood. Thanks so much for everybody's input and assistance in this matter

Just to add, you also need to include anyone you previously sponsored for LPR if they are still subject to the I-864. I don't know if this applies to you, just wanted to point it out.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

Thanks, but fortunately our case is one of the easier ones. My husband's the only immigrant I've ever had to deal with, haha.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.