Rob L

gotta bad case of Fear-bola

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
By Mel Robbins
Robbins: 'Fear-bola' is spreading fast
UPDATED 2:33 PM CDT Oct 15, 2014

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/national/robbins-fearbola-is-spreading-fast/29145984#ixzz3GTap3iaE

CNN) —Right now, two-thirds of Americans are suffering from "Fear-bola," according to a new Washington Post poll. It's a hyper-contagious disease that affects the brain, making sufferers fear a widespread Ebola outbreak in the United States.

Fear-bola is an airborne disease that spreads through conversation, entering your brain through your ears. Fear-bola is so contagious that some victims have contracted it by simply seeing images and videos about Ebola.

Once inside your body, Fear-bola attacks the part of the brain responsible for rational thinking. It starts with a low-grade concern about the two health care workers diagnosed with Ebola in Dallas and slowly builds into fear of a widespread epidemic in the United States. Almost half of the people affected by Fear-bola are also "very" or "somewhat" worried they themselves will catch the virus.

Fear-bola is dangerous because it leads to confused decision-making and illusions. People who favor travel bans, for example, suffer from Fear-bola. Anyone convinced Ebola is an airborne virus is suffering from the disease. If the news that a second health care worker in Dallas diagnosed with Ebola made you think you're in a real-life "Contagion" or "Outbreak" movie, you suffer from Fear-bola.

Fear-bola can also affect institutions. Navarro College, a small community college outside Dallas, has contracted Fear-bola and has stopped accepting students from countries with confirmed cases of Ebola, according to The Daily Beast.

Navarro has rejected every student application from Nigeria, a country with 174 million people and 20 cases of Ebola. By the way, after "world-class epidemiological detective work," that outbreak was traced back to a Liberian-American. Nigeria is five days away from being declared Ebola-free by the World Health Organization.

To put this story in perspective, it would be like Harvard suddenly sending rejection letters to every high school applicant from Texas, stating: "Unfortunately Harvard is not accepting applications from students in states with confirmed cases of Ebola." As you can see, Fear-bola is extremely dangerous at an institutional level because it leads to widespread discrimination.

I almost caught Fear-bola from a good friend when he told me: "You better believe I'm worried about Ebola. Sure, the docs say, 'Don't worry. It's not airborne. You must touch fluid to get it' ... but what if a person on plane or subway sneezes, sending fluid particles at me or a few drops on the seat. ... That's not airborne to docs ... but that's fluid and now I have Ebola. Yeah, I'm very afraid."

That was all it took to contract Fear-bola. Suddenly, I felt the urge to Google "how far does a sneeze travel?" (It's 200 feet, by the way.)

Once you contract Fear-bola, you can't help but spread it to others. After talking to my friend, I called my mom -- who luckily gave me a dose of common sense. As she put it, "I don't know what everyone is so worried about Ebola. If you're in West Africa, yes, you should be afraid, but here? It's ridiculous.

"One person has died in the United States from Ebola and that's awful. But if you want to worry about a contagious disease that can kill you, worry about the flu. Did you know tens of thousands of people died from the flu last year, tens of thousands? I don't see people stampeding to CVS to get a flu shot."

She's right. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, from 1997 to 2007, flu deaths ranged from a low of about 3,500 to a high of 49,000 deaths a year. The flu reached epidemic levels in last year's season. And just like that I was cured of Fear-bola with a dose of the facts. Unless you are a health care worker or family member caring for an infected patient, you are not going to contract Ebola in the United States. You have nothing to fear.

We cannot allow Fear-bola to take over America because the world needs our help. We need to think rationally, and we need to think globally. In West Africa, the facts are grim -- more than 4,000 dead, and the outbreak is doubling in size every three weeks. The World Health Organization says West Africa could see 10,000 new Ebola cases a week by December.

It's spreading quickly in West Africa because the affected countries are politically unstable and recovering from war, and they lack the public health infrastructure to quarantine people properly, provide health workers with protective gear and educate the population about risks and best practices.

We're right to be concerned about the welfare of the medical professionals who were treating Thomas Eric Duncan, who died from Ebola in Dallas. But an outbreak is not likely. Our public health and communication infrastructures are yet another reason why there will never be a major Ebola outbreak here. The spread of Ebola overseas has more to do with the social and political realities in West Africa than the reality of the virus.

It is vital to mobilize our health care experts and nongovernmental organizations overseas quickly. The best way to prevent Ebola in the United States is to protect people in West Africa. Here, two people are infected with Ebola in Dallas; in West Africa, more than 8,000 are infected. The fewer people who get it in West Africa, the less likely it will spread here. It's counterintuitive, but a travel ban driven by Fear-bola would actually spread Ebola, as this article in Forbes explains.

A travel ban would also seal us off when invaluable resources from the CDC and the National Institutes of Health need to be deployed to help stop the spread of Ebola on a global scale. If a ship is sinking, what good does it do to lock ourselves below deck in our cabins? In 2002, we were invaluable in fighting SARS and in 2009, working with China to curb the swine flu outbreak.

If you live in West Africa, you have reason to be afraid. If you care for Ebola patients, you must be extraordinary careful. If you have been placed in quarantine, you better remain there until you are cleared.

For the rest of us here in the United States, it's time to eradicate Fear-bola and focus on how you can help those who are suffering from the Ebola outbreak overseas. And while you're at it, you should probably get a flu shot.

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/national/robbins-fearbola-is-spreading-fast/29145984#ixzz3GTZi464x

Edited by Rob L

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

The conspiracy theorists' question is this ...

"What's going on out of sight, while Ebola is the distraction story of the hour?" :unsure::ph34r:

"The fast and the Benghazian pullout in Iraq"

Filed: Other Timeline

It's not disease, pestilence, phony scandals and corruption that bothers the Americans who maintain common sense, it's the madman living in Washington and the hope that a life-flight helicopter will pick him up and take him to a blanket party to get the treatment he needs.

Timeline

Someone who frequents my wife's workplace was on the plane with Ebola Nurse #2. Said person has now been put into isolation and has no symptoms or signs of disease. The workplace put out an email broadcast saying this would happen. There is now widespread panic at her place of work. People are literally having massive panic attacks and she's spending more time calming people down than doing her actual job.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Someone who frequents my wife's workplace was on the plane with Ebola Nurse #2. Said person has now been put into isolation and has no symptoms or signs of disease. The workplace put out an email broadcast saying this would happen. There is now widespread panic at her place of work. People are literally having massive panic attacks and she's spending more time calming people down than doing her actual job.

Pity. All this was so avoidable had the Kenyan simply used common sense and deny anyone and everyone entry to the US who have traveled to the affected areas within the last thirty days. So, what does the Kenyan do? Why, of course, he blames the victims for being afraid of dying.

Timeline

Pity. All this was so avoidable had the Kenyan simply used common sense and deny anyone and everyone entry to the US who have traveled to the affected areas within the last thirty days. So, what does the Kenyan do? Why, of course, he blames the victims for being afraid of dying.

All of this was so avoidable had the news not spent the last little while whipping the entire western world into a horrified frenzy. If the various media outlets had reported on this in a calm, collected manner and listened to what very nearly every expert on the disease out there has been saying, in terms of the likelihood of the US having an epidemic of ebola, fear-bola would not be a thing.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

All of this was so avoidable had the news not spent the last little while whipping the entire western world into a horrified frenzy. If the various media outlets had reported on this in a calm, collected manner and listened to what very nearly every expert on the disease out there has been saying, in terms of the likelihood of the US having an epidemic of ebola, fear-bola would not be a thing.

0bama rubber his followers are glue, whatever Fox says bounces off him and sticks to RWNJs.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

The world's media be responsible? : huh:

You're fuuuuuuuuuuny! :rofl:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

The world's media be responsible? : huh:

You're fuuuuuuuuuuny! :rofl:

Hey, as much as it PAINS ME to admit it, Fox News has had an anchor who was intensely responsible. Shepherd Smith. He basically told everyone to calm their doggy doo-doo because there's nothing to panic over. Though of course, if you tell people with Fear-Bola that, they just tell you that he's part of a conspiracy or 'drinking the kool-aid'.

I think there are people who have had variants on fear-bola since before the first gulf war and that the spread of the original forms of fear-bola intensified strongly after 9/11 until now, when the actual fear-bola has hit systems ripe for the taking and overwhelmed brains to the point that it may be incurable.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hey, as much as it PAINS ME to admit it, Fox News has had an anchor who was intensely responsible. Shepherd Smith. He basically told everyone to calm their doggy doo-doo because there's nothing to panic over. Though of course, if you tell people with Fear-Bola that, they just tell you that he's part of a conspiracy or 'drinking the kool-aid'.

I think there are people who have had variants on fear-bola since before the first gulf war and that the spread of the original forms of fear-bola intensified strongly after 9/11 until now, when the actual fear-bola has hit systems ripe for the taking and overwhelmed brains to the point that it may be incurable.

Stop watching US media outlets, then. None of them report the news, only their opinionated take on the stories on which they want to report. :mellow:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

Stop watching US media outlets, then. None of them report the news, only their opinionated take on the stories on which they want to report. :mellow:

Eh, I'm not at risk for fear-bola. I believe in science. And know how to actually find information from reputable sources. And have access to journal articles on things to actually determine the reality of stuff.

I mostly watch US media outlets for the sheer 'W T F' factor of seeing the ridiculousness of the country I'm moving to.

(And I firmly believe that comedy central news shows are more fair and balanced than 'real' news media in the US)

Edited by Not a Tailor

March 13, 2014 Married!