AmandaLane102

Affidavit of Support with PENSION/RETIREMENT funds?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Namibia
Timeline

Hey guys,

My mom is going to co-sponsor my husband, but she gets her income from pension/retirement funds. My question is does she need to provide anything further then the tax return transcripts???? I see other people submit employment letters and W-2's and paystubs, but since she is retired what can she provide to show ongoing income?

I found the below from travel.state.gov and it seems to say that evidence of income is only necessary IF the tax return reflects income BELOW the poverty guidelines. Is this true? If so, then all we will need to send in will be our tax return transcripts?

If you completed Form I-864, I-864A, or I-864EZ and the income reported on this form or your tax return reflects income below the poverty guidelines for the year the form was submitted, submit evidence of your income. This can include the following documents:

• For those who are employed by an individual or company, submit a photocopy of an employment letter, pay stub, or pay advance (direct-deposit receipt) that meets the criteria below:
    • Includes your name and the company’s name;
    • Is on signed, business letterhead (you cannot sign the letter yourself); and
    • Is issued within the last three months.
  • For those who are self-employed, obtain a photocopy of one of the following:
    • Your business license.
    • A signed letter on business letterhead that was written within in the last three months.
    • A contract between you as an independent contractor and a company.
  • For those who are unemployed or retired, submit a photocopy of ongoing income from other means, such as:
    • retirement benefits;
    • other household members' income; or
    • other significant assets.
  • If you are currently self-employed in any of the following ways, you do not need to obtain submit evidence of income:
    • Babysitter, elderly caretaker, construction worker, handyperson, housekeeper, landlord, musician, nanny, seamstress, tailor, artist, or writer.

06.21.13 : Met in Namibia

06.21.14 : Married in Namibia (L)

USCIS

• 10.11.14 : Submitted I-130 via DHL from Namibia to Chicago Lockbox
  • 10.15.14 : Petition Received (according to online case status)
  • 10.20.14 : NOA1 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to California Service Center
  • 10.31.14 : NOA2 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to NVC (11 days from NOA1)

NVC

• 12.11.14 : Case # and IIN # received from NVC via e-mail
  • 12.11.14 : DS-261 Choice of Agent Form Generated (notified via e-mail) & Submitted
  • 12.11.14 : AOS Fee Invoice Generated (notified via e-mail)
  • 12.24.14 : AOS Fee Paid
  • 01.13.15 : IV Fee Invoice Generated (notified via e-mail)
  • 01.24.15 : IV Fee Paid

*** Intentionally Delayed Further Submission ***

• 09.26.15 : DS-260 Submitted
  • 10.20.15 : AOS & IV Packages Submitted
  • 10.22.15: AOS & IV Packages Received by NVC (scan date)
  • 12.2.15: Cased Closed at NVC - Received Interview Date for January 14

EMBASSY

• 12.18.15: Medical Completed in Johannesburg

*** Intentionally Delayed Interview ***

• 01.20.16: New Interview Date Scheduled for March 17
  • 03.14.16 & 03.15.16: New Medical Completed (First one would expire before our preferred date of entry!)
  • 03.17.16 Interview in Johannesburg - successful!
  • 04.02.16 Visa received (Expires 9/14/16)
  • 07.11.16 USCIS ELIS fee paid
  • 08.26.16 Date of Entry (POE Boston)

When it comes to the USCIS, I always tend towards providing more evidence than necessary - better safe than sorry! :) We provided both tax returns and pay stubs, just to be sure.

Is there any documentation of the benefits she is receiving from her retirement/pension funds? if so, I would submit that.

If she gets a check, photocopies of the check or check stub. If she gets direct deposit of her pension, photocopies of the bank statements highlighting the pension deposits.

If she gets an annual plan statement of benefits, a copy of that statement.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate thread removed. Please don't post multiple threads for the same or similar question(s)~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

A couple more questions for you guys since you seem knowledgeable - my mom gets most of her money from IRA "Individual Retirement Account" - which I guess is money she put away while working that now comes to her on a monthly basis. Is this suitable as income or is it considered assets?

Also - when she is filling out the I-184, her household size will be her, my dad (since they file jointly) and the beneficiary - will it also include me? I do not have domicile yet in the STates as I live abroad with my husband, so will the household size be considered 3 or 4?

Lastly, on the I-184 it asks to calculate your individual income but my parents file taxes jointly, so will the income be their income combined or what?

This I-184 makes me want to tear my hair out, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

USCIS

• 10.20.14 : NOA1 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to California Service Center
  • 10.31.14 : NOA2 (received initially via e-mail); Case Transferred to NVC (11 days from NOA1)

NVC

• 12.11.14 : DS-261 Choice of Agent Form Generated (notified via e-mail) & Submitted

EMBASSY

• 03.14.16 & 03.15.16: New Medical Completed (First one would expire before our preferred date of entry!)

A couple more questions for you guys since you seem knowledgeable - my mom gets most of her money from IRA "Individual Retirement Account" - which I guess is money she put away while working that now comes to her on a monthly basis. Is this suitable as income or is it considered assets?

Also - when she is filling out the I-184, her household size will be her, my dad (since they file jointly) and the beneficiary - will it also include me? I do not have domicile yet in the STates as I live abroad with my husband, so will the household size be considered 3 or 4?

Lastly, on the I-184 it asks to calculate your individual income but my parents file taxes jointly, so will the income be their income combined or what?

This I-184 makes me want to tear my hair out, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

IRA is assets, not income.

Household size is her, your dad, the immigrant, previous immigrants with an active I-864, and other dependents they would claim on their taxes. Not sure if they can or do claim you, so you might or might not be in the household size.

Married people filing jointly can't really sponsor on their own. Your mother would fill out an I-864 and your father and I-864A. Their income would be reported jointly, as they file taxes jointly.

Hope that helps to make it slightly less murky.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

IRA is assets, not income.

Household size is her, your dad, the immigrant, previous immigrants with an active I-864, and other dependents they would claim on their taxes. Not sure if they can or do claim you, so you might or might not be in the household size.

Married people filing jointly can't really sponsor on their own. Your mother would fill out an I-864 and your father and I-864A. Their income would be reported jointly, as they file taxes jointly.

Hope that helps to make it slightly less murky.

Hi thanks,

just to clarify - for the question that asks "individual income" on the I-184 , will they still use the combined income from the tax return for that since they filed jointly?

Also, I have read and received varying information regarding an IRA being income vs. assets. My father says they are taxed on the IRA and it is considered income. I am concerned because this is their main source of funds - it is a monthly deposit that comes in on a consistent basis, so can it not be considered income? If all else fails, she also receives a pension but it only equals 26,000 a year - is this enough to meet the poverty guidelines for a household of 3 (her, my dad and the beneficiary)? I think it just makes the cut off? I am just not sure how to report the IRA as it is taxed as income on their statements but you say its assets?

USCIS

NVC

EMBASSY

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Good luck to you and your husband

Hi thanks,

just to clarify - for the question that asks "individual income" on the I-184 , will they still use the combined income from the tax return for that since they filed jointly?

Also, I have read and received varying information regarding an IRA being income vs. assets. My father says they are taxed on the IRA and it is considered income. I am concerned because this is their main source of funds - it is a monthly deposit that comes in on a consistent basis, so can it not be considered income? If all else fails, she also receives a pension but it only equals 26,000 a year - is this enough to meet the poverty guidelines for a household of 3 (her, my dad and the beneficiary)? I think it just makes the cut off? I am just not sure how to report the IRA as it is taxed as income on their statements but you say its assets?

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.