xmgirl

Support from the husband who signed i-864 and separation

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I too urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to obtain your U.S. citizenship as a top priority. Follow this advice, and you might thank us in the future. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your replies...

I have a degree in computing systems as well and I have never worked as IT, i have been in manufacturing for more than 20 years, my Experience in Mexico helped me to get a job here in the same area, there are many places where they need somebody who can handle information. Don't despair.

K

Meet 12/2000; Married 01/2004; AOS 01/2005; R-C 07/2007; Citizen 06/2008
In love for 14 years and happily counting...

Hi,

I'm not trying to argue with you so please don't misinterpret this post, but either you were lied to (which they do a lot) and/or you tried to apply for medicaid before Obamacare.

Medicaid is a federally funded program, meaning it has to follow federal law. That said, federal law requires that you be an LPR for 5 years in order to receive federally funded medicaid. States have the option to provide medicaid to their residents who have been LPR's for less than 5 years at their own expense. They cannot deny medicaid to an LPR who has been in status for at lest 5 years if he/she is otherwise eligible.

From the links I will post below, it looks like Maryland was one of those states that didn't offer medicaid to any adult that wasn't disabled or with children. However, after the medicaid expansion, medicaid should now be available to any adult who is otherwise eligible and makes below 138% of the poverty level. If you are an LPR who has been in status for 5 years you would be eligible.

You were told the truth in regards to needing SSI to get Medicaid in MD, but this was before Obamacare, not true anymore. However, you were lied to about SSI. LPR's are indeed eligible for SSI, but only after they have 10 years of work, i.e. 40 social security credits. Pre 1996, LPR's were qualified to receive SSI regardless of work credits. After the welfare reform act, if you are an LPR you are eligible after you have earned these credits, USC's can qualify for SSI at anytime.

Therefore, if you didn't qualify for medicaid before Obamacare, you would qualify now assuming you meet all other requirements. By the way, I don't agree that the OP should start applying all over the place for benefits, but I don't think that poster's intention were for the OP to lie. If she truly needs assistance and she is eligible for it, she can apply for it. She has met the prerequisite amount of time required by federal law to qualify for these benefits and she shouldn't be afraid to apply for them.

Sorry, but, the portion bolded is not true for all states. I can vouch that for Maryland. To qualify for Medicaid, you need to have SSI and to have SSI, you need to be a citizen. In MD, they do not give you any of these benefits except food stamps and CHIP without you being a citizen. Tried that myself, and have rejection letter from Social security.

Lot of times people refer to medicaid but, actually mean emergency medical assistance or emergency medicaid. Even the DSS folks refer to this relief as medicaid. Emergency medical assistance is not a mean tested benefit.

And to the moron who is advising the OP to seek benefits everywhere to get back at her STBX, go to hell. OP will land in more trouble than what she is in for. In most cases, she will not qualify and if they catch her lying on any of these papers and finds discrepancies anywhere, she will be in Govt. hell. Just get a divorce and move on. Life hands you a lemon, try to make a lemonade.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

By the way, the above post only applies to states that opted for medicaid expansion. Other states still have their own eligibility requirements, but they cannot deny medicaid to an LPR in status for 5 years who is otherwise eligible.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Also I think I may just pay the fine for not enrolling in the Obamacare. I have heard some people are going to choose to do that instead of pay the high rates of health coverage with these crazy and bad new laws >:(

Edited by xmgirl

If you are getting divorced, that may qualify as a "major life event", but I'm not sure if you have be in divorce proceedings or if it has to be final, you may want to find out in your state's health exchange. You should apply for health coverage because you don't know what you may qualify for.

Also I would just like to note since others mentioned this and I'm not telling you whether you should do it or not, I'm just pointing out a fact, the I-864 does give you the right to sue your husband for support.

This is a lawsuit separate from divorce and is solely based on the I-864. People were incorrect in saying that the form is only for the government to sue for benefits you receive, I verified this by reading the I-864 again and I know there have been lawsuits against sponsors, but mostly from an ex spouse.

Edited by Ian H.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If you are getting divorced, that may qualify as a "major life event", but I'm not sure if you have be in divorce proceedings or if it has to be final, you may want to find out in your state's health exchange. You should apply for health coverage because you don't know what you may qualify for.

Also I would just like to note since others mentioned this and I'm not telling you whether you should do it or not, I'm just pointing out a fact, the I-864 does give you the right to sue your husband for support.

This is a lawsuit separate from divorce and is solely based on the I-864. People were incorrect in saying that the form is only for the government to sue for benefits you receive, I verified this by reading the I-864 again and I know there have been lawsuits against sponsors, but mostly from an ex spouse.

Can you please provide us with links of your sources? Law can be interpreted differently, and if you have links of any successful court cases that would help other posters to be able to help others in the future.

Until sources are cited, I'm afraid this is just going to be considered a case of "I saw a naked man on a flying unicorn once". (I really did!)

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Read page 7 on the I-864, the very last part where it says "what if I do not fulfill my obligations". Also I'm not bothered if you or anyone doesn't believe it to be true, there have been cases, successful cases where they have sued for support. I'm just not going to bother looking for it, I know I proved my point already in another thread a few months ago so I'll just go about my day. Feel free to research this yourself if you want. :)

Can you please provide us with links of your sources? Law can be interpreted differently, and if you have links of any successful court cases that would help other posters to be able to help others in the future.

Until sources are cited, I'm afraid this is just going to be considered a case of "I saw a naked man on a flying unicorn once". (I really did!)

Edited by Ian H.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kinda of hard to get money for support when he is not working and from the sounds of it wont be anytime soon.

If by the time they get divorced she is working it may backfire on her and she could be paying him support. I doubt it but wouldn't put it past some people.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

That's why I wasn't suggesting that she sue him for support or not, but simply correcting others who said that it's not possible to sue your sponsor under the I-864. She would have about the same hard time being able to collect on a judgment as the government agency would. Many assets and income are exempt from debt collection.

By the way, the fact person doesn't have income doesn't mean you can't sue. You just wouldn't be able to collect until they have income. If that were the case creditors wouldn't be able to sue their broke debtors.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes some courts have used the it as a base to set up support. I think someone on here has posted it happening to them. It's not used very often successfully. But this is a topic for a different thread.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Read page 7 on the I-864, the very last part where it says "what if I do not fulfill my obligations". Also I'm not bothered if you or anyone doesn't believe it to be true, there have been cases, successful cases where they have sued for support. I'm just not going to bother looking for it, I know I proved my point already in another thread a few months ago so I'll just go about my day. Feel free to research this yourself if you want. :)

Oh my... I thought I was as unoffensive as possible. I didn't mean to give insult.

My purpose of asking for sources was so that others who may be able to offer advise on a similar subject can read these cases, perhaps bookmark them, and use them to advise other users later down the road.

I personally did not question your honesty, integrity, or other such gentlemanly attributes. I simply asked for sources for others to be able to read and add to their library of knowledge. There is no need to get your hackles up, sir, as no offense was given. I seek only knowledge for myself and others.

Edited by d3adc0d3

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.