nickwhan

SSN - name change

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys,

I just wanna ask I have two names Maria Whanda, but I was thinking of dropping MARIA when I get to the US when is the best time to do it? When I apply for the SSN 2weeks after I arrive in the US or when I change my name to my Married name? Can I apply for an SSN with just the name WHANDA? what are the necessary documents I need since all my credential is named MARIA WHANDA.

Thank you

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS-related processes, post K1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you are talking about changing your first name through marriage, you most likely will not be able to do so. You should call your local courthouse and ask about the laws of your state for changing your name through marriage. You will most likely need a court ordered name change to change your first name.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

First, you can't apply SSN card with your married name if you came here under K-1 visa. According to some knowledgable member here (Darnel), the name won't match on the system since you will bring your passport with I-194 to apply SSN. You can change your maiden name into married name at least after you get an EAD. About dropping one of your first names, let others chime in about that.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Timeline

Maria is a good name..

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2014-03-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-27

I-129F RFE(s) : 2014-06-04

RFE Reply(s) : 2014-07-07

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-07-29

NVC Received : 2014-08-04

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2014-09-02

NVC Left : 2014-08-13

Consulate Received : 2014-09-02

Interview Date : 2014-10-20

Interview Result : Approved :dancing:

Timeline

Thank you all...I want to drop Maria not because I don't like it, its just that my WHANDA might become my middle name that's what I don't like, I wanted to use my father's last name as my middle. But since dropping Maria might not be possible I'll keep it then :)

Of course it's possible for you to change your name. You don't have to wait to become an LPR either to change it. It may vary by state, here in NY for example they let anyone change their names. I changed my entire name while I was still a minor.

You wouldn't be able to change your first name through marriage, only your last names. If you want to change your first name you have to go to court. But this process is fairly easy and you don't need a lawyer.

The best time for you to change your name would be after your AOS is approved though because if you try to change it before you get married, the 90 day window might run out.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

Of course it's possible for you to change your name. You don't have to wait to become an LPR either to change it. It may vary by state, here in NY for example they let anyone change their names. I changed my entire name while I was still a minor.

You wouldn't be able to change your first name through marriage, only your last names. If you want to change your first name you have to go to court. But this process is fairly easy and you don't need a lawyer.

The best time for you to change your name would be after your AOS is approved though because if you try to change it before you get married, the 90 day window might run out.

What 90 day window? If they are going to change their name, it would be best to do it before they file for AOS. The name they use on the forms is the name the EAD/AP and green card will come with. Changing the name on the green card after you get it will cost hundreds more and could take months.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

What I meant to say was if she wanted to change her name before getting married, the 90 day window might run out because a name change could take a couple of months. It's not an overnight process.

I'm not sure why you say that it would cost hundreds more and take months if she changed it after getting AOS approved, it's the same thing. If you are referring to her GC, she could wait until it's time to do ROC to change the name on it, as I'm sure plenty of people do. My grandmother didn't change the name on her GC for like 20 years after getting divorced.

By the way I only suggested she wait until after AOS is approved is because someone places may not allow her to change her name while she's not an LPR. I know NY courts allows it, but I cannot speak for other states or courts.

What 90 day window? If they are going to change their name, it would be best to do it before they file for AOS. The name they use on the forms is the name the EAD/AP and green card will come with. Changing the name on the green card after you get it will cost hundreds more and could take months.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

Because filing an I-90 to change the green card after it is issued takes months and the form fee is $450. Yes, they could wait for ROC. You are just telling me info I just posted yesterday in another thread on this same topic. This OP was asking about changing their name when married and on the SSN. I was informing them that they cannot change the first name through marriage. If they were going to change it through the court, then they should do it before filing for AOS, after they are married, which is when AOS is filed for. No 90 window there. Of course if they want to wait and change it before filing for ROC, then they could do that and use the new name for getting their 10 year card.

Timeline

I was thinking of doing it before I get married, but its not possible so I will stick to Maria Whanda and just made sure that they won't take it as my middle name but part of my first name, that's what my concern really I love my name just don't want WHANDA to be consider my middle name I want to use my father's name as my middle name, I know in the US they are not so particular with the middle name or something but that's what I'm used to FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME LAST NAME :) thank you all guys for the inputs I know what to do now :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.