gelernu

E2 getting money not from your sponsored company

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I work for a company which sponsorized my E2 Visa.

So with the E2 Visa I know you can work for one only company and that's my case.

But let's say that at night and at weekends I want to write a blog where I have adsense banners on it.

Can I receive the money from adsense google? Talking about 8-9k dollars a year

Or would this be considered a second company? I don't have a contract with them

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Would your visa allow you to go work at Mc Donolds ? I think the only way it would work is if the advert company was part of your visa sponsor company

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I don't think getting paid for putting ads on your blog is the same thing because this is something someone could do from outside the US. Similarly if you were to rent out your apartment, rental income isn't considered income you work for.

Unless the E2 visa doesn't allow you to receive any income other than from that company, then I don't know. Does the E2 visa strictly only allow earned income from that company or are you allowed to receive unearned income?

Income where you don't have to actually work for it is considered unearned, such as getting paid for ads, child support, alimony, interest, stocks, bonds, rental income, etc.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Even if it's without a contract and for 8-9k a year? Talking about the side job (the blog....)

You are actively involved in the content of this blog. How do you think you can justify it as passive income? See if you can convince yourself and then decide if USCIS would buy it. Note carefully - you just referred to it as a "side job".

If you did this, you would be getting paid by a US company. You will get a 1099 in the mail. You would be claiming it as income. You would be putting your status in the US in jeopardy.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

You are actively involved in the content of this blog. How do you think you can justify it as passive income? See if you can convince yourself and then decide if USCIS would buy it. Note carefully - you just referred to it as a "side job".

If you did this, you would be getting paid by a US company. You will get a 1099 in the mail. You would be claiming it as income. You would be putting your status in the US in jeopardy.

Thank you for your message.

To clarify more, this advertising money I would get are for a website runned in europe but that I updates sometimes here.

So should I not get the money earned?

Do you get paid to run the blog? That would be considered earned income because you are working to run the website. Is the website your own personal website and you just place ads on it? That is unearned income because you aren't working for the company providing you with ads. That I know, anyone can get paid for running ads on their website. You could be living outside of the US and still be doing this because you are not considered employed under this scenario. You do have to clarify what your situation is to know for sure.

Do you get paid to run the blog? That would be considered earned income because you are working to run the website. Is the website your own personal website and you just place ads on it? That is unearned income because you aren't working for the company providing you with ads. That I know, anyone can get paid for running ads on their website. You could be living outside of the US and still be doing this because you are not considered employed under this scenario. You do have to clarify what your situation is to know for sure.

I'ts my own website, so it's not another company paying me. I get money (about 8-9 k a year) by placing adv on the blog

If this is a personal blog that you run where you don't sell things, then this is considered unearned income. This is your own website and placing ads on it is not considered earned income, meaning that you aren't working for this company. Now I don't know how the E2 visa works, but if they restrict all kinds of income, which I higly doubt, then you wouldn't be able to use adsense. If they only restrict your work activities, this isn't considered work for that purpose.

Timeline

If this is a personal blog that you run where you don't sell things, then this is considered unearned income. This is your own website and placing ads on it is not considered earned income, meaning that you aren't working for this company. Now I don't know how the E2 visa works, but if they restrict all kinds of income, which I higly doubt, then you wouldn't be able to use adsense. If they only restrict your work activities, this isn't considered work for that purpose.

And you are going to get this guy in trouble because of that.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Thank you for your message.

To clarify more, this advertising money I would get are for a website runned in europe but that I updates sometimes here.

So should I not get the money earned?

I think you are looking for ways to make this a grey area when it's already black and white.

Google would pay you for this service, thus you would be considered a private contractor under IRS regulations. The only way around that is if your company buys google.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

I think you are looking for ways to make this a grey area when it's already black and white.

Google would pay you for this service, thus you would be considered a private contractor under IRS regulations. The only way around that is if your company buys google.

Ok for you it's considered like a proper job.

For me it's a kind of grey area.

Ofcourse it is good to listen to other opinions

Timeline

Ok for you it's considered like a proper job.

For me it's a kind of grey area.

Ofcourse it is good to listen to other opinions

You are right. It really only matters what USCIS thinks. This is not a grey area to them.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.