grad_student

Getting NVC Case number and Invoive ID number from NVC

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Assuming the I-130 petition is approved and your case is forwarded to NVC. I am wondering if NVC sends out a welcome letter with NVC case number, Beneficiary ID, and Invoice ID number on it, as has been stated on DOS website? (link below)

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Submit_Visa_Application.html

I am curious because both Saylin and James Shortcuts on VJ Wiki instruct to call up the NVC and get this information from the operator / customer service rep. This way of communication just seems so inefficient and old. Plus, I have to fulfill my 2 year residency requirement so I am not really in a hurry to process my case.

Come join the Scan Date to Case Complete thread. To be added to the Scan Date to Case Complete spreadsheet, simply post your Scan Date and/or Case Complete date in the thread. You will be added to the spreadsheet which is available now.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/592291-scan-date-to-case-complete-spreadsheet/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLgqeV5tr9zHOSY5IqtYn3RURVO3C0iMBGVwUviVruk/edit#gid=0

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Assuming the I-130 petition is approved and your case is forwarded to NVC. I am wondering if NVC sends out a welcome letter with NVC case number, Beneficiary ID, and Invoice ID number on it, as has been stated on DOS website? (link below)

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Submit_Visa_Application.html

I am curious because both Saylin and James Shortcuts on VJ Wiki instruct to call up the NVC and get this information from the operator / customer service rep. This way of communication just seems so inefficient and old. Plus, I have to fulfill my 2 year residency requirement so I am not really in a hurry to process my case.

They will send email (if you put an email address on your I-130) to you yes with IIN and Case# and instructions.

The reason why we say to call because many times you get case# way before they send out that email getting a jump on things.

But if not in a hurry you can just wait for email. But many also call so they can give NVC the petitioner and beneficiaries email so you both get it. If for some reason their was not an email then the postal service will deliver now that still takes forever.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

They will send email (if you put an email address on your I-130) to you yes with IIN and Case# and instructions.

The reason why we say to call because many times you get case# way before they send out that email getting a jump on things.

But if not in a hurry you can just wait for email. But many also call so they can give NVC the petitioner and beneficiaries email so you both get it. If for some reason their was not an email then the postal service will deliver now that still takes forever.

I really dont see where they ask for an email address on I-130 or g-325A. So yea, they dont have any of our emails on file as of now. So, will I get the NVC Welcome Letter in mail, or do they not do that now?

Come join the Scan Date to Case Complete thread. To be added to the Scan Date to Case Complete spreadsheet, simply post your Scan Date and/or Case Complete date in the thread. You will be added to the spreadsheet which is available now.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/592291-scan-date-to-case-complete-spreadsheet/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLgqeV5tr9zHOSY5IqtYn3RURVO3C0iMBGVwUviVruk/edit#gid=0

Timeline

I really dont see where they ask for an email address on I-130 or g-325A. So yea, they dont have any of our emails on file as of now. So, will I get the NVC Welcome Letter in mail, or do they not do that now?

It probably is from the G1145 or when you register your account on the USCIS sight there you enter where you want to get email and text messages.

They will mail. But in your case after you get approved at USCIS if you get no mail in like 2 to 3 months than I would call.

Also reason why many people call is we can't assume your petition will be sent correctly or at all to NVC. Many people have sat here expecting to hear from NVC finally they call to find out their approved petition 3 , 4 heck I know of a few 8 months later found out their petition has been either lost mis-shipped or just sitting at USCIS. That's why we call. Some of us are in a hurry or just want to keep tabs and know where our petitions are is all.

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Did you submit a G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance form with your i130 packet? This is normally how USCIS/NVC would have your email.

If not then you can phone NVC and give them your email address over the phone.

I would make sure that NVC have your email since you need your case number and invoice number in order to log in to CEAC and start paying fees and submitting documents. NVC are not quick in sending out paper copies.

If NVC does have your email then there is absolutely no point in phoning them constantly to get verbal updates, it doesn't expedite your process.

I"m unsure why calling the NVC seems less antiquated than waiting to receive a letter via the postal service?

The point of caling them is to get the numbers as soon as possible AND give your email addresses so that correspondence can go through email. However, the NVC takes up to 2 weeks to respond to emails so calling is actually faster.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I didnt knew about VJ when I filed our I-130 petition. I didnt knew about G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance form either. I did register my I-130 petition to get email updates. But since no G-1145, NVC has no way of knowing my email address.

As far as I understand the discussion in this thread, calling is quickest option to get the NVC case number and IIN while physical mail is the slowest method of getting the NVC case number and IIN, while email from NVC lies between these two methods.

Reason I am concerned is I am out of USA as of now and my wife is busy with work on weekdays, and is not that convenient to call NVC very frequently. But it all depends on how you prioritize things in life.

One more question: If my wife calls NVC and gives them my and her email address so that correspondence can go through email, will I still receive the physical mail in addition to emails or the correspondence will be exclusively through email?

Timeline

I didnt knew about VJ when I filed our I-130 petition. I didnt knew about G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance form either. I did register my I-130 petition to get email updates. But since no G-1145, NVC has no way of knowing my email address.

As far as I understand the discussion in this thread, calling is quickest option to get the NVC case number and IIN while physical mail is the slowest method of getting the NVC case number and IIN, while email from NVC lies between these two methods.

Reason I am concerned is I am out of USA as of now and my wife is busy with work on weekdays, and is not that convenient to call NVC very frequently. But it all depends on how you prioritize things in life.

One more question: If my wife calls NVC and gives them my and her email address so that correspondence can go through email, will I still receive the physical mail in addition to emails or the correspondence will be exclusively through email?

No if they have email no postal mail will be sent.

You also can notify them via email. Put your USCIS receipt# in Subject line and the Beneficiaries Full name and in the body of email say you are adding your emails to the case (for those who don;t want to call). May take them about 30 days to get to it but they will.

ROC I-751

N-400

The point of caling them is to get the numbers as soon as possible AND give your email addresses so that correspondence can go through email. However, the NVC takes up to 2 weeks to respond to emails so calling is actually faster.

Yes, I second that calling is the best way to ensure that they have the email address, since they are so slow at reading emails. I would really recommend that the OP goes the email route since NVC are so slow at sending mail.

However, getting the case number and invoice number as soon as possible still does not change the speed with which the case proceeds. The user's account on the CEAC portal does not unlock until after the NVC has sent emails. You might have your numbers, but you can't do anything with them.

Timeline

Ok. Thanks a lot for all the help. The discussion in this thread has been very helpful. Will ask my wife to call them and give them our email addresses once our I-130 petition is approved and case is forwarded to NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.