nachosph

ECC (exit permit), question about getting Filipino passport for child

10 posts in this topic

my son was born on aug of 2011. i went to the philippines on his 6th month to apply for his crba and us passport. he is now 3 years old, and I am now half way petitioning my wife. I just now noticed this whole Exit permit thing that my son needs in order to leave the country since he has only his us passport. I read, to avoid this exit permit fee, i could get my son a filipino passport. My question is, would that seems suspicious? I mean, it took my wife 3 years to get him his filipino passport, and only getting it just to avoid a permit fee before leaving the country. The question may sound stupid, i just want to make sure of things. That exit fee will kill me with that over stay payments that add on, and since my son is 3, thats pushing almost 15k php. so, if anyone has done this process...filipino passport is the way to go? Even if my son's face on his us passport and filipino passport will be different ( since he grew).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to the Philippines regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

my son was born on aug of 2011. i went to the philippines on his 6th month to apply for his crba and us passport. he is now 3 years old, and I am now half way petitioning my wife. I just now noticed this whole Exit permit thing that my son needs in order to leave the country since he has only his us passport. I read, to avoid this exit permit fee, i could get my son a filipino passport. My question is, would that seems suspicious? I mean, it took my wife 3 years to get him his filipino passport, and only getting it just to avoid a permit fee before leaving the country. The question may sound stupid, i just want to make sure of things. That exit fee will kill me with that over stay payments that add on, and since my son is 3, thats pushing almost 15k php. so, if anyone has done this process...filipino passport is the way to go? Even if my son's face on his us passport and filipino passport will be different ( since he grew).

Your son is dual citizen so it is very common to have both passports. Most get both passports for their child after CRBA.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 months later...

I wonder how did it go on your case? we have the same issue because our son is now 3 years old also and this what happened to us last week when i went to the BI..and the worst is, they want me to pay 70,000 PHP!!! I was so shocked and almost cried to what i've heard. They said that thats for ECC and penalty for not registering our son the soonest he got his passport. They also said that its their new law. I mean #######!!! what kind of law is that?! SERIOUSLY BI!?!

Someone told me to just get an appointment for PI passport, so he will be a dual citizen, NO NEED ECC and NO QUESTIONS on the DEPARTURE. LESS HASSLE. I am a Filipina i dont deserve to deal with their business in BI.

Okay, I see why an ECC is required in your son's case: (http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/emigration-clearance-certificate-ecc)

1. Who should apply for an Emigration Clearance Certificate?

ECC has two (2) types, ECC –A (also referred to as regular ECC and ECC-B.

The following foreign nationals must secure an ECC-A prior to their departure:

1. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (also referred to as tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for six (6) months or more;
    2. Holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas;
    3. Holders of valid Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas but are leaving for good;
    4. Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time;
    5. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Orders to Leave;
    6. Bona fide seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more and has a duly approved discharge from BI.

ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily.

If you can get a birth certificate from the NSO, you can get him a passport: (http://www.passport.com.ph/info/requirements/for/new)

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
  • Personal appearance
  • Confirmed appointment
  • Birth Certificate (BC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Certified True Copy (CTC) of BC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by NSO. Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in NSO Birth Certificate are blurred or unreadable. (Report of Birth duly authenticated by NSO if born abroad)
  • No need to submit a passport size photo
  • Valid picture IDs and supporting documents to prove identity (Please refer to List of Acceptable IDs and List of Supporting Documents)
NSO Birth Certificate

Birth Certificate (BC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Certified True Copy (CTC) of BC issued by the Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO depending on the NSO signatory.

For Minor Applicants (below 18 years old) General Requirements:
  • Confirmed appointment (except for 1 year old and below)
  • Personal appearance of the minor applicant
  • Personal appearance of either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)
  • Original Birth Certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by NSO or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by NSO. Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in NSO Birth Certificate are blurred or unreadable. Report of Birth duly authenticated by NSO is required if minor was born abroad.
  • Document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17 years old (for first time and renewal applicant) such as School ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal
    • For minor applicants who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / by mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) detailing the reasons why the child is not in school, is required
  • Marriage Certificate of minor’s parents duly authenticated by NSO
  • Notarized Affidavit of Support and Consent to travel from either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / from mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)
  • Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor
  • Photocopy of valid passport of either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) or identification documents (Please refer to List of Acceptable IDs)

Good luck.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wonder how did it go on your case? we have the same issue because our son is now 3 years old also and this what happened to us last week when i went to the BI..and the worst is, they want me to pay 70,000 PHP!!! I was so shocked and almost cried to what i've heard. They said that thats for ECC and penalty for not registering our son the soonest he got his passport. They also said that its their new law. I mean #######!!! what kind of law is that?! SERIOUSLY BI!?!

Someone told me to just get an appointment for PI passport, so he will be a dual citizen, NO NEED ECC and NO QUESTIONS on the DEPARTURE. LESS HASSLE. I am a Filipina i dont deserve to deal with their business in BI.

Yes YOU are a Filipina, but your son is a USC ;) "he" is the one dealing with BI. The best way to avoid this is to have both U.S. and Philippines passports.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

We are on the same boat. I will apply passport for my daughter early next year too. She is holding us passport as well. As far as i know, that should not be a problem. By law, our kids are dual citizen. So they are entitled to obtain passport.

Besides i dont think dfa would know if the child has a passport from another country..

But i will still fill up the portion where it is asked if the applicant has another passport :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to apply passport for my daughter last dec 23. there was no problem. They just wanted to see her us passport.

They needed photocopy of my passport, nso marriage cert orig, nso birth cert orig, notarized support and consent, photocopy of her us passport.

We were prioritize since she is a minor, took us 15minutes total. God is good.

They won't ask why you're only now getting him a PH passport. Just be sure to bring all the docs on your appointment. I got my daughter a PH passport for the sole reason of avoiding an ECC which IMO is a big scam. 70k for a 3 y/o?? #######.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

What do you need to bring to BI to get the baby ECC? I was offloaded last night for no ECC and need to try to fly again in 1-3 days, no time for passport. Unless they can do a passport in 1-3 days.

This policy needs to change. I have paid ECCs at airport in emergencies and I'm American. My Son's mom is filipina and he gets offloaded? Outrageous, born filipino and now treated worse than a tourist.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.