bluesunshine

Sharing on how to expedite EAD based on job offer

32 posts in this topic

I haven't gotten any update from USCIS @ChurChur and I did called on the 17th July, got a mail from them later that night and sent all necessary documents by fax the next which was a Saturday. Whenever I check my case status on the website, late update was all on the same day, the 17th, the friday I made a request to expedite, which was before I sent my documents, which included my job offer letter that I'm suppose to start on Monday, 27th.

I did get in contact with the immigration liason officer of my Congressman, sent her the job offer and biometrics and NOA1 and 2, she said she has gotten in touch with them the same day, 20th but I still see the same update on mycase USCIS website.

I'm worried, should I call them to remind them or just still wait and try to solicit for my time at the employed organization? But how long do I have to wait, this seems like they had not even dealt with the case yet, probably the NBC office at Lee Summit, MO is running behind.

Any advice is welcomed, Thanks guys.

Edited by shynepapin

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I just wanted to say a huge thanks for this thread.

I followed these steps pretty much to the word, including the letter to congressperson. I requested the expedite on Monday 7th, contact congress woman's office and sent all documents on 8th.

I just checked (today being the 10th) and my case has been updated to card being produced.

So, 3 days for them to sort, wow.

Best of luck to everyone in a similar situation. Do your research, prepare ahead of time and good things will happen!

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've just submitted my expedite today and did not bother to call congress just faxed everything to them and they have since replied via email confirming they will work on it.

I have also received an email from USCIS requesting the evidence.. did anyone else get this and submit direct to USCIS? Or just leave it in the hands of congress?

18th March 2016 - USCIS receives i-129f package at Lockbox23rd March 2016 - NOA1 text/email notification10th June 2016 - USCIS tracker showed petition was approved 9 June 201613th June - Received NOA2 in mail.8th July - NVC received12 July - MTL Consulate received19 July - Packet 4 received26 July - Medical done<p>10 August - Interview

POE - 27th Sept 2016
Married - 1st Oct 2016
Sent AOS - 6th Oct 2016
USCIS received 11th Oct 2016
NOA 1 - 19th Oct 2016
Bio Appt - 10th Nov 2016
Request for EAD expedite - 15th Nov 2016
EAD expedite approved - 21st November 2016
AP approved - 21st November 2016
EAD mailed - 23rd November 2016

AOS I-485 status updated to 'ready to schedule interview' - 25th November 2016

EAD combo card received - 28th November (even though AP tracking hasn't changed since approval)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I just wanted to say a huge thanks for this thread.

I followed these steps pretty much to the word, including the letter to congressperson. I requested the expedite on Monday 7th, contact congress woman's office and sent all documents on 8th.

I just checked (today being the 10th) and my case has been updated to card being produced.

So, 3 days for them to sort, wow.

Best of luck to everyone in a similar situation. Do your research, prepare ahead of time and good things will happen!

Thanks

Hi I was curious to know how long from your online status updating to card in production to receiving the card in the mail?

18th March 2016 - USCIS receives i-129f package at Lockbox23rd March 2016 - NOA1 text/email notification10th June 2016 - USCIS tracker showed petition was approved 9 June 201613th June - Received NOA2 in mail.8th July - NVC received12 July - MTL Consulate received19 July - Packet 4 received26 July - Medical done<p>10 August - Interview

POE - 27th Sept 2016
Married - 1st Oct 2016
Sent AOS - 6th Oct 2016
USCIS received 11th Oct 2016
NOA 1 - 19th Oct 2016
Bio Appt - 10th Nov 2016
Request for EAD expedite - 15th Nov 2016
EAD expedite approved - 21st November 2016
AP approved - 21st November 2016
EAD mailed - 23rd November 2016

AOS I-485 status updated to 'ready to schedule interview' - 25th November 2016

EAD combo card received - 28th November (even though AP tracking hasn't changed since approval)

Timeline

Hi I was curious to know how long from your online status updating to card in production to receiving the card in the mail?

Hi! My status was updated to "New Card Is Being Produced" on Nov 10th, and I received the card on Nov 18th/19th (could have come in late post, I didn't check until the 19th).

I was wondering the same thing prior to receiving mine, from various threads I gathered that 7-10 days is the norm. Mine being 8/9 backs that up!

Best of luck.

Timeline

I've just submitted my expedite today and did not bother to call congress just faxed everything to them and they have since replied via email confirming they will work on it.

I have also received an email from USCIS requesting the evidence.. did anyone else get this and submit direct to USCIS? Or just leave it in the hands of congress?

I contacted congress same day as I requested the expedite and gave them all my documents. So by the time USCIS had sent me a letter asking for more information to be sent, my case was already updated to successful. I reckon congress can send your information on (hence the privacy release document), so you don't have to.

If you can, just wait a couple of days to see if congress can handle it, although I don't think that submitting directly to USCIS would slow anything down, so if you have the time, you may as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Hello,

I am writing to kindly ask for advice in applying to expedite my EAD.

I've already contacted USCIS and began the process. I received an email that requests additional information to submitted through fax in order to prove financial hardship.

My husband is a freelancer and doesn't have a steady income, in addition bills (Tax bills, credit card bills, and my college bills) have pilled up since I cannot contribute financially. Also my husband's adjusted income is under the poverty line and we had to submit a new form for a joint sponsor.

I was wondering if anyone has cover letters to help us compose our own and a list of documents that we need to fax.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I would like to thanks Bluesunshine for this post, I use the steps he/she recommended, send a expedite request based on job offer to congressman and have successfully expedited my wife EAD application!

Timeline:

23 Dec 2016: I-765, I-485, I-131 concurrent filing for me and my wife

27 Jan 2016: Send expedite EAD petition request based on job offer to Congressman office

31 Jan 2016: Biometric done

9 Feb 2016 (my wife EAD expired)

10 Feb 2016: My wife EAD new card is produced!! 49th day!

Praise the Lord!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I would like to share my case, so maybe you can give me an advice. Here is goes:

• I arrived in the US on a student visa (F-1) and graduated from college.
  • In the meantime, I started a relationship with my now husband. 
  • I graduated in May 2016 and started my OPT in June 2016.
  • We got married in January 19th, 2017.
  • We filed AOS(I-485) for me along with I-130, I-131, and I-765 on March 27th, 2017.
  • Case received by USCIS on March 29th, 2017.
  • We received the receipt numbers in the mail on April 9th, 2017.
  • I got a promotion on April 14th,2017 (a job offer that would allow me to be a full-time employee at the company I have worked since June 2016). 
  • I opened a service request to expedite my EAD card process on April 17th, 2017. When they asked for a reason, I told them this would cause me a severe financial loss. During the phone call, I asked if it would be possible to get email notification on this service request, and my phone call was transferred to a Tier 2 officer. This Tier 2 officer then told me that my request to open a service request would/should not be accepted because I am applying for a green card through family, and my husband reported that he can support me when filing the AOS. Therefore, since he can support me, the case of financial loss is invalid for my case, and I just have to wait. 

So, I am just wondering, it sounds like a lot of people here are/were in the same situation. Were you at any point told the same thing? If yes, how did you proceed? Also, here is what I don't understand: Although my husband is able to support me financially, that doesn't change the fact that if I lose my job (and I will because my employer already told me that they would terminate my employment if I don't have a valid EAD), that is a severe financial loss to me. I mean I have worked at this place nearly a year and worked hard to get promoted. Also, we are planning a wedding party and honeymoon this fall. If I am not employed, it will actually be tough to get through this year.

Please let me know what you think and how you would approach to this problem.

I appreciate your help!

Best,

N

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

This thread has been extremely helpful to me so I thought I would share my story regarding EAD.

Filed for i130, i131, i485, i765 - Feburary 24th (case received)

Biometrics done - March 29th

Job offer to start for June 2nd

Expedite Request for i765 - April 27th through congreesman

New card is being processed - April 28th

The reason I filed for expedite processing is because of the recent delays and the withdraw of the 90 days processing window. I attached my offer letter, benefits summary, and had the company also draft a letter explaining the job, why they hired me, and why it is important to have EAD on time. In addition, I used to template from this forum and edited it towards my case. I must say that the congressman's office was extremely helpful. I was in constant email exchange with the staff assistant. However, this might be due to the fact that my father in law personally knows the congressman. 

PS: I would go through congress office and have them request the expedite rather than trying to request yourself through the phone. 

On 4/18/2017 at 10:12 AM, nk0119 said:

Hi everyone,

I would like to share my case, so maybe you can give me an advice. Here is goes:

• I arrived in the US on a student visa (F-1) and graduated from college.
  • In the meantime, I started a relationship with my now husband. 
  • I graduated in May 2016 and started my OPT in June 2016.
  • We got married in January 19th, 2017.
  • We filed AOS(I-485) for me along with I-130, I-131, and I-765 on March 27th, 2017.
  • Case received by USCIS on March 29th, 2017.
  • We received the receipt numbers in the mail on April 9th, 2017.
  • I got a promotion on April 14th,2017 (a job offer that would allow me to be a full-time employee at the company I have worked since June 2016). 
  • I opened a service request to expedite my EAD card process on April 17th, 2017. When they asked for a reason, I told them this would cause me a severe financial loss. During the phone call, I asked if it would be possible to get email notification on this service request, and my phone call was transferred to a Tier 2 officer. This Tier 2 officer then told me that my request to open a service request would/should not be accepted because I am applying for a green card through family, and my husband reported that he can support me when filing the AOS. Therefore, since he can support me, the case of financial loss is invalid for my case, and I just have to wait. 

So, I am just wondering, it sounds like a lot of people here are/were in the same situation. Were you at any point told the same thing? If yes, how did you proceed? Also, here is what I don't understand: Although my husband is able to support me financially, that doesn't change the fact that if I lose my job (and I will because my employer already told me that they would terminate my employment if I don't have a valid EAD), that is a severe financial loss to me. I mean I have worked at this place nearly a year and worked hard to get promoted. Also, we are planning a wedding party and honeymoon this fall. If I am not employed, it will actually be tough to get through this year.

Please let me know what you think and how you would approach to this problem.

I appreciate your help!

Best,

N

That does not make sense to me. Everyone that files for i485 has a sponsor. I believe you should rather file through your congressman's office.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Anyone else who requested an expedite, can you tell me what these case updates mean? We didn't get an email, should we be expecting one or a letter?

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 9.28.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 9.30.15 PM.png

03-16-2017 Sent I-130, I-145, I-131, and I-765 renewal to Chicago Lockbox

03-20-2017 Priority Date according to I-797C

03-28-2017 NOA1 Text and Email notifications received

04-03-2017 NOA1 documents received in the mail 

04-05-2017 RFIE notification

04-07-2017 Biometrics letter arrived

04-10-2017 RFIE letter received for birth certificate (that we already sent)

04-11-2017 InfoPass and mailed RFIE response

04-19-2017 RFIE response received by USCIS

04-21-2017 Biometrics appointment

06-08-2017 EAD/AP approved (day 80)

10-03-2017 Sent online case status inquiry for I-485

11-06-2017 InfoPass appointment about case status 

12-05-2017 Requested case update from Congressperson's office

01-22-2018 Interview!! Approved on the spot

Hi all, I got so much information and help from all the forums on VisaJourney and I received my EAD card on Day 58 after I did my concurrent filing of I-485, I-130, I-131 and I-765 in early July 2014. I'd thought it'd be nice to collate all the resources I found and do a step-by-step list on how to expedite an EAD based on a job offer.

• Make sure that you have a job offer letter that clearly states your start date. The USCIS will only expedite processing if you can prove that a lack of the renewed EAD will cause financial loss to you. More info can be found here http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria.
  • Call National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 and put in a request for an expedited EAD under the “Severe financial loss to company or individual” criteria. You will most likely be speaking with a Tier 1 officer who won’t be able to help much. It’s just a crucial step for you to ensure that your expedited request gets in the USCIS system.
  • Note the Service Request case number – this is the number that the congressman’s office will use to look up your expedited request with the USCIS.
  • Find your congressman at http://www.house.gov/htbin/findrep?ZIP=98004&Submit=FIND+YOUR+REP+BY+ZIP
  • Go to the congressman’s website and search for the privacy release form. It will look something like this: http://adamsmith.house.gov/uploadedfiles/privacy_release.pdf . You needs to print out this completed form.
  • Draft up a letter explaining why you need to expedite the processing of his renewed EAD. I’ve attached an edited version of my letter in this thread for your reference.
  • Call the congressman’s office and request to speak to an immigration liaison staff. He/she will ask you to sign the privacy release form and fax the completed form before they will do anything.
  • Fax the completed privacy release form together with the drafted letter and any supporting documents to the congressman’s office
  • The congressman’s office should be able to get back to you within 2 weeks (or less, this is just based on my own experience!) about whether or not your expedited request was approved

Please note that this is only based on my experience, and is not representative of everyone's experience nor is it an official representation of the process. Obviously you have to be fairly certain that your EAD WILL not arrive before the start date of you job. If your EAD is scheduled to arrive within the next 2 weeks, then there is no point in expediting it. My job offer letter came on Day 29 after I did my concurrent filing, and there was no way my EAD card would have arrived in time for me to start my job.

I wouldn't have received my EAD so fast if it wasn't for all the information and resources here. I just want to pay it forward and help anyone else who’s in a similar situation as I was. Mods, please delete this thread if you think that it's inappropriate. Thanks!

Letter to Congressman for EAD Expedite based on job offer.doc

If I'm reading the sample letter to Congressman right, you waited until after biometrics appointment.  Is that necessary or can the expediting process be started before then?

08/13/2005     Married USC

05/08/2017     mailed I-130 / I-485 / I-864 / I-765 / I-131

05/16/2017     Case accepted and routed to NBC

05/22/2017     4 NOA1's arrive in the mail

05/27/2017     Biometrics appointment letter arrives in the mail

06/07/2017     Biometrics complete

06/12/2017     Requested expedited EAD

06/15/2017     EAD approved

06/22/2017     EAD/AP arrived in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.