cometaj

Green Card holder acquiring US passport?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

I was wondering. I currently have my US Green Card and I was wondering if it was possible for me to acquire a US passport (or is it even necessary)?

My company would need me to travel around outside the contry to Europe and I was wondering if my green card was sufficient or if I needed a passport. And If I need a passport, is it possible for me to acquire one given my conditional permanent residence status?

Regards

cometaj

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello all,

I was wondering. I currently have my US Green Card and I was wondering if it was possible for me to acquire a US passport (or is it even necessary)?

My company would need me to travel around outside the contry to Europe and I was wondering if my green card was sufficient or if I needed a passport. And If I need a passport, is it possible for me to acquire one given my conditional permanent residence status?

Regards

cometaj

You do not get a US passport until you are a US Citizen.

YMMV

Timeline
Hello all,

Regards

cometaj

You do not get a US passport until you are a US Citizen.

What do you mean by "I do not"? Do you mean that "I cannot"?

Regards

cometaj

Edited by cometaj

You must be a U.S. citizen to acquire a U.S. passport:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

If you need to travel internationally you can still use your passport from your home country.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

do not... means, do not, can not... not possible.... you are United States Resident, meaning you only reside here, you are NOT a citizen, and you only get passports of any country ifyou are a citizen... so... until you get your united States CITIZENSHIP (not residency) you CAN NOT, DO NOT, WILL NOT, get a USA Passport... if you need to travel outside teh US all you need is your passoprt from YOUR COUNTRY and your green card to be ablke to leave teh US and come back into teh US....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
do not... means, do not, can not... not possible.... you are United States Resident, meaning you only reside here, you are NOT a citizen, and you only get passports of any country ifyou are a citizen... so... until you get your united States CITIZENSHIP (not residency) you CAN NOT, DO NOT, WILL NOT, get a USA Passport... if you need to travel outside teh US all you need is your passoprt from YOUR COUNTRY and your green card to be ablke to leave teh US and come back into teh US....

I think even the OP should be able to get that message!

What I wonder is wrong in using your Canadian passport?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Daniellecc,

Thank you

YMMV

Timeline

Hehe, don't get mad, the context wasn't clear to me :devil: . And it is possible for me to leave the contry even thought I have a green card/conditional permanent residence? Or are there restrictions to me leaving the contry?

I'm asking because I seem to remember that I couldn't leave the country at some point, but I'm unsure whether it applied to before I got my green card or if it still applies until I get my full citizenship.

Unfortunately, I think that my home country passport has expired. I'd have to double check though.

Regards

cometaj

Filed: Timeline

You need to read up on being a greencard holder and your rights.... USCIS website is a good place to start....

Yes you can travel outside the usa as a greencard holder... you need a valid passport from your home country and your greencard to get you back into the USA...

Kez

Timeline
You need to read up on being a greencard holder and your rights.... USCIS website is a good place to start....

Yes you can travel outside the usa as a greencard holder... you need a valid passport from your home country and your greencard to get you back into the USA...

Kez

Alright :). Thanks much for the info guys :thumbs: . I'll see if my passport is still valid. *Cross my fingers* :blink: .

I'm curious where you are getting the information that you must have both a permanent resident card AND a passport from your country? If you look on the USCIS website on the new passport regulations and the customs and border patrol website, it states clearly:

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs)

must provide one of the following:

* I-551, Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”)

* Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa endorsed with a CBP Admission Stamp

* Temporary Residence Stamp (ADIT stamp) contained in a passport or on Form I-94

* Valid Reentry Permit

* Unexpired Immigrant Visa

It only mentions ONE document is needed for re-entry to the US. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/alerts/w...ents_needed.xml

I'm trying to find out if my husband, who is not yet eligible for citizenship but has an expired passport from his country and a valid permanent resident card, can travel to Mexico or the Caribbean for a one week vacation and re-enter the US using only his green card. To renew his passport is now taking 8-12 months and costs $600.

From the websites, it seems he only needs his green card but when I have mentioned this to people, they get so alarmed and insist this isn't possible, so what's up? Even the Nebraska Service Center was wrong. I asked them clearly about a one week vacation to Mexico and they told me on the phone that he needed to file the I-131 ($170, 4-6 month timeframe) for a travel document but after reading the form instructions in detail I notice it said:

If you stay outside the United States for less than one

year, you are not required to apply for a reentry permit.

You may reenter the United States on your Permanent

Resident Card (Form I-551).

http://www.uscis.gov/ - (go to the forms section and look for I-131, you have to download it to read the instructions)

So to cometaj, you might want to verify all this before you go to lengths renewing your passport, not sure it's needed from what I found but I would still like to know for sure from someone who has actually done it, though you would think the government websites I listed above are providing accurate information.

Edited by mew5280

May 29, 2003 - K-1 Visa Petition filed (1st NOA)

November 23, 2003 - Petition approved (2nd NOA)

December 23, 2003 - Cleared NVC

March 23, 2004 - US Interview

March 23, 2004 - Visa Received

May 7, 2004 - Arrival in US

May 14, 2004 - Married!!!

May 16, 2004 - Filed for EAD

May 20, 2004 - EAD Application Received by Serv Ctr

July xx, 2004 - Filed AOS

August 16, 2004 - Denied EAD (I filled out the form wrong, sent to the wrong place)

August 30, 2004 - Re-applied for EAD

September 30, 2004 - Fingerprint Appt

December 17, 2004 - Received EAD

February 3, 2004 - NOA Interview Scheduled (for AOS) on March 4

March 4, 2004 - Perm Resident Card with conditions

January 6, 2007 - Application to remove conditions mailed to SC, received at SC 1/16/07

February 15, 2007 - Biometrics

December 27, 2007 - InfoPass appt, received 6 mos I-551 stamp

January, 2008 - Service Request submitted by local office

February 28, 2008 - Interview scheduled letter!!!! March 20 interview

March 20, 2008 - Interview at local office, was informed we were approved, waiting for approval letter and/or green card

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm curious where you are getting the information that you must have both a permanent resident card AND a passport from your country? If you look on the USCIS website on the new passport regulations and the customs and border patrol website, it states clearly:

* Temporary Residence Stamp (ADIT stamp) contained in a passport or on Form I-94

* Valid Reentry Permit

It only mentions ONE document is needed for re-entry to the US. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/alerts/w...ents_needed.xml

I'm trying to find out if my husband, who is not yet eligible for citizenship but has an expired passport from his country and a valid permanent resident card, can travel to Mexico or the Caribbean for a one week vacation and re-enter the US using only his green card. To renew his passport is now taking 8-12 months and costs $600.

From the websites, it seems he only needs his green card but when I have mentioned this to people, they get so alarmed and insist this isn't possible, so what's up? Even the Nebraska Service Center was wrong. I asked them clearly about a one week vacation to Mexico and they told me on the phone that he needed to file the I-131 ($170, 4-6 month timeframe) for a travel document but after reading the form instructions in detail I notice it said:

http://www.uscis.gov/ - (go to the forms section and look for I-131, you have to download it to read the instructions)

So to cometaj, you might want to verify all this before you go to lengths renewing your passport, not sure it's needed from what I found but I would still like to know for sure from someone who has actually done it, though you would think the government websites I listed above are providing accurate information.

How do you think he will enter the foreign country without a passport? :blink:

The information above is concerning re entry to the USA. The foreign country however will require a passport to enter it and no airline will let you board without the correct documentation.

Edited by DelcoCouple
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

* Valid Reentry Permit

The information above is concerning re entry to the USA. The foreign country however will require a passport to enter it and no airline will let you board without the correct documentation.

Mexico and the Caribbean do not require passports for entry. It is the US that has changed it's entry requirements, not Mexico or the Caribbean. I would definitely check with the country you/we are visiting first.

May 29, 2003 - K-1 Visa Petition filed (1st NOA)

November 23, 2003 - Petition approved (2nd NOA)

December 23, 2003 - Cleared NVC

March 23, 2004 - US Interview

March 23, 2004 - Visa Received

May 7, 2004 - Arrival in US

May 14, 2004 - Married!!!

May 16, 2004 - Filed for EAD

May 20, 2004 - EAD Application Received by Serv Ctr

July xx, 2004 - Filed AOS

August 16, 2004 - Denied EAD (I filled out the form wrong, sent to the wrong place)

August 30, 2004 - Re-applied for EAD

September 30, 2004 - Fingerprint Appt

December 17, 2004 - Received EAD

February 3, 2004 - NOA Interview Scheduled (for AOS) on March 4

March 4, 2004 - Perm Resident Card with conditions

January 6, 2007 - Application to remove conditions mailed to SC, received at SC 1/16/07

February 15, 2007 - Biometrics

December 27, 2007 - InfoPass appt, received 6 mos I-551 stamp

January, 2008 - Service Request submitted by local office

February 28, 2008 - Interview scheduled letter!!!! March 20 interview

March 20, 2008 - Interview at local office, was informed we were approved, waiting for approval letter and/or green card

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

* Valid Reentry Permit

Mexico and the Caribbean do not require passports for entry. It is the US that has changed it's entry requirements, not Mexico or the Caribbean. I would definitely check with the country you/we are visiting first.

Mexico does not require a passport from example a European or African national????? The Caribbean is not a country but a collection of Islands which have varying entry requirements according to which country you are visiting. A number of them do require passports even from US Citizens.

As the OP referred tobeing a green card holder it is safe to assume they are not a US citizen and are more likely than not to require a passport.

An obvious exception being Canada. It would be helpful if the OP were to tell us what nationality the GC holder is and which country/ies they intend to visit rather than just Europe to obtain an accurate answer.

Edited by DelcoCouple
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

Filed: Timeline

As a UK citizen I am required to have a valid UK passport to enter mexico or any of the Caribbean islands... yes you only need a greencard to re-enter the USA but you still need a valid passport to enter other countries... I know of no airline that will let you board an international flight without having a valid passport...

On our return to the US is sept last year the CBP officer stamped both my UK pasport and my husbands US passport with an entry stamp...

Kez

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.