LibCampFireClub

Tempest over Obama's tea cup salute: Commander-in-chief sparks anger by saluting US Marines with drink in his hand

90 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Does this story seem petty? As a US war veteran I understand how our troops feel when our leaders do something like this in our presence. He's got a lot on his plate right now, but it would be a real good idea for him to apologize to these men, and to the people of America. Yes, apologize to your own people for a change.
Tempest over Obama's tea cup salute: Commander-in-chief sparks anger by saluting US Marines with drink in his hand
2je8odj.jpg
President Barack Obama saluted a pair of United States Marines on Tuesday while holding what appeared to be a styrofoam cup in his saluting hand, a breach of military regulations that won't win him fans among veterans and servicemen.
Obama is known for drinking tea, not coffee, when he travels, especially before delivering speeches.
His quasi-saluting gesture was an instant embarrassment for the White House, and not because his environmentally taboo drinkware clashed with the green-policy speech he was on his way to deliver at a UN Climate Summit.
Edited by ExExpat

Oh my God, who cares.

I know. It does seem petty. I get both sides. I also get that that this president is in his second term and is finally getting his share of criticism. Our fighting men and women spend months learning proper salute protocol. Making a mistake or missing a salute is a very serious offense. As the Commander in Chief, saluting in this manner shows everything it should not. Improper poster or position of hand and fingers, even forgetting to salute altogether does not register on the disrespect meter like this does. These little simple things matter to the young men and women who put their lives on the line every day.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Oh my God, who cares.

The service personnel who will go into combat and put their lives on the line, at his say so. :mellow:

They might to know that he respects them and the sacrifice they are prepared to make. Is the courtesy of a proper return salute too much to ask of their Commander-in-Chief?

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know. It does seem petty. I get both sides. I also get that that this president is in his second term and is finally getting his share of criticism. Our fighting men and women spend months learning proper salute protocol. Making a mistake or missing a salute is a very serious offense. As the Commander in Chief, saluting in this manner shows everything it should not. Improper poster or position of hand and fingers, even forgetting to salute altogether does not register on the disrespect meter like this does. These little simple things matter to the young men and women who put their lives on the line every day.

He screwed up. He should recognize it and apologize to the soldiers that were there as well as all the others in a public statement. People screw up. Its like that time he messed up and then went back to shake the soldiers hand an apologize. And FTR I appreciate your response. Its sensible and makes a good point.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by others for this, so just a heads up to those that plan to tell me how this president hates the military or something, don't waste your time.

The service personnel who will go into combat and put their lives on the line, at his say so. :mellow:

They might to know that he respects them and the sacrifice they are prepared to make. Is the courtesy of a proper return salute too much to ask of their Commander-in-Chief?

See the first paragraph of my response to ExExpat.

Our fighting men and women spend months learning proper salute protocol. Making a mistake or missing a salute is a very serious offense.

seriously, months to learn 'proper salute protocol'? seems like a complete waste of time but i guess that's why i'm not in the military..

He screwed up. He should recognize it and apologize to the soldiers that were there as well as all the others in a public statement. People screw up. Its like that time he messed up and then went back to shake the soldiers hand an apologize. And FTR I appreciate your response. Its sensible and makes a good point.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by others for this, so just a heads up to those that plan to tell me how this president hates the military or something, don't waste your time.

Yes. He's human, and like I said, he's got a lot on his plate. There is no need for a congressional inquiry, or getting beat to death over it.

Several years ago in basic training, I walked past a senior officer and did not salute. I just didn't see him as I was having a conversation with my friend next to me. We were immediately shouted down to halt. We did. Then, we were sent to a 16-hour non-stop salute and marching party. From that day forward I knew what I was supposed to do or get in bad trouble. It wasn't until later that I learned the more subtle reasons of why our fighting men and women are taught to do this. It's more than just protocol. It's more about the absolute respect and trust you must have to follow your leaders into dangerous places from which you may never return. It's about doing it with the pride and respect for your fellow soldiers and most especially for the people of America, and our Commander in Chief.

I don't believe he hates the military. But, he needs to remember those who are dying for their country and put their lives on the line range in age mostly from 17-22 years of age. He just needs to acknowledge it, and avoid ever doing it again.

Edited by ExExpat

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

:thumbs:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

Yes. He's human, and like I said, he's got a lot on his plate. There is no need for a congressional inquiry, or getting beat to death over it.

Several years ago in basic training, I walked past a senior officer and did not salute. I just didn't see him as I was having a conversation with my friend next to me. We were immediately shouted down to halt. We did. Then, we were sent to a 16-hour non-stop salute and marching party. From that day forward I knew what I was supposed to do or get in bad trouble. It wasn't until later that I learned the more subtle reasons of why our fighting men and women are taught to do this. It's more than just protocol. It's more about the absolute respect and trust you must have to follow your leaders into dangerous places from which you may never return. It's about doing it with the pride and respect for your fellow soldiers and most especially for the people of America, and our Commander in Chief.

I don't believe he hates the military. But, he needs to remember those who are dying for their country and put their lives on the line range in age mostly from 17-22 years of age. He just needs to acknowledge it, and avoid ever doing it again.

I can respect that.

Exactly, struting out of a Helicopter with shades on, and throwing a salute with an espresso in your hand says-- I may order you to die tomorrow, but I don't have the courtesy to return your salute with any effort.

Timeline

I wish all threads were like this. I'm about ready to start a sing along.

Eta, spoke too soon. *sigh*

Edited by GandD