GBCW

Is D.C. Statehood a Matter of Civil Rights?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Nonprofit and legal experts say the statehood debate is, at heart, part of a larger conversation about fundamental civil rights in the U.S. At stake are the voices of a population that has swelled by almost 100,000 over the past decade, reversing shrinking trends during 60 of the past 70 years.

The district’s demographics are changing rapidly, with blacks now composing just less than half of the population.

D.C.’s population ... is greater than those of two states—Wyoming and Vermont—and is denied a degree of self-determination because the feds control much of the city’s budget.

“We still live in a situation where members of Congress whom we did not elect hold ultimate sway over our budget and our legislative agenda,” Jones explains. “Most Americans would find that abhorrent.”

Critics of D.C. statehood have argued that the district is not a “state-like entity,” and that such a change would require a constitutional amendment, based on the fact that the district was originally carved out of two contiguous states. Furthermore, some conservatives argue that the new state would exercise undue influence over the federal government, and mainly represent urban, not rural, interests.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2014/09/is-dc-statehood-a-matter-of-civil-rights/380648/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Not that we need any more commies/democrats in congress, but I don't get how there is a place in this country that is not represented by 2 Senators and at least one congressperson. Seems they should do something about that.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Another issue would be DC self-governance. We don't have full control of local government and budget is largely controlled by Congress.

Not that we need any more commies/democrats in congress, but I don't get how there is a place in this country that is not represented by 2 Senators and at least one congressperson. Seems they should do something about that.

I would rather they give it to another small state. Maybe Wyoming. There's nothing in the Constitution that says states must be contiguous, right?

Timeline

I would rather they give it to another small state. Maybe Wyoming. There's nothing in the Constitution that says states must be contiguous, right?

Kentucky, Virgina, Michigan have parts of the state that are not contiguous, although there's water separating them.

The constitution spelled out specifically that the area was to be a district, not a represented state. It's 68 square miles; hardly worth amending the constitution over. And as far as "taxation without representation" goes: they have a non-voting representative that does nothing but embarrass herself and her constituents. And don't think DC doesn't suck down more than its share of federal benefits.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kentucky, Virgina, Michigan have parts of the state that are not contiguous, although there's water separating them.

Yeah I never understood how we cheated Indiana out of a few miles on the other side of the ohio river near Henderson.

Timeline

Yeah I never understood how we cheated Indiana out of a few miles on the other side of the ohio river near Henderson.

I was actually referring to Kentucky Bend.

kybend.gif

Timeline

Sweet we got that too. Take THAT Missouri/Tennessee!

Kind of interesting:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/28816/welcome-bubbleland-life-strange-little-chunk-kentucky

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I love mental floss. Still though, that is some absolute wasted space in my brain now. But I wasn't aware if the bubble before today. I wonder if that's where Darnell got his "handle". He's familiar with Kentucky.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Kids in Point Roberts need to leave the US/ Enter Canada /Leave Canada/ Enter the US just to go to school

snapper1183254901169.png

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I love mental floss. Still though, that is some absolute wasted space in my brain now. But I wasn't aware if the bubble before today. I wonder if that's where Darnell got his "handle". He's familiar with Kentucky.

ya, Pa's a Hillbilly, we go back often before I graduated high school.

Plus, I likes the crackers...

my handle is a cracker handle...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/309601-how-did-you-come-up-with-your-vj-username/?view=findpost&p=4662164

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Nonprofit and legal experts say the statehood debate is, at heart, part of a larger conversation about fundamental civil rights in the U.S. At stake are the voices of a population that has swelled by almost 100,000 over the past decade, reversing shrinking trends during 60 of the past 70 years.

The district’s demographics are changing rapidly, with blacks now composing just less than half of the population.

D.C.’s population ... is greater than those of two states—Wyoming and Vermont—and is denied a degree of self-determination because the feds control much of the city’s budget.

“We still live in a situation where members of Congress whom we did not elect hold ultimate sway over our budget and our legislative agenda,” Jones explains. “Most Americans would find that abhorrent.”

Critics of D.C. statehood have argued that the district is not a “state-like entity,” and that such a change would require a constitutional amendment, based on the fact that the district was originally carved out of two contiguous states. Furthermore, some conservatives argue that the new state would exercise undue influence over the federal government, and mainly represent urban, not rural, interests.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2014/09/is-dc-statehood-a-matter-of-civil-rights/380648/

to be certain, DC has gotten too populated.

I say -

reduce the population down to 1/3 of what it is now,

and force all Congressmen to live inside the district, taking the bus to work each day.

No need to build new places - there's lots of residential buildings there that are easily converted into 1-floor, 1 family residences, complete with security and maids quarters, for almost no money.

Limit the occupation of Georgetown to ONLY college students, as well. Profs can live elsewhere...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !