K1 Fees lower?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Did I read this correct?

K – Fiancé(e) or Spouse of U.S. citizen category visa: $265.00
​​

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/fees-visa-services.html

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : California Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Caracas, Venezuela I-129F Sent : 2014-09-15 I-129F NOA1 : 2014-09-19

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It increased actually from 240 to 265 now. Maybe you mistakenly understood as the I-129F fee which is still 340.

AOS Journey:

March 30 - AOS/EAD/AP sent

April 2 - USCIS received

April 9 - NOA1

May 6 - Biometrics

May 7 - Case is ready for interview

May 21 - Request for EAD expedite

May 26 - contact congressman for EAD expedite

June 1 - EAD card in production

June 2 - EAD approved

June 6 - EAD/AP combo card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, it went up Friday sept 12, 2014.

Costs are 340 to file petition 129f

265 to apply for the visa once petition has been approved and is ready at the consulate

1070 aprox once you are in the US to adjust status

Philippians 4: 6-7. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Timeline

I guess I did misunderstand.

So I-129F at $340

Once approved the visa itself is $265?

Then Approximately $1070 When? When she gets here or when she applies for residency?

TIA

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : California Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Caracas, Venezuela I-129F Sent : 2014-09-15 I-129F NOA1 : 2014-09-19

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Damn....I should have read this yesterday before I sent out my app. I sent the 265.00 What should I do???

Everything you sent will get returned to you and you'll have to re-send it with a check for the correct amount included this time. You'll lose a couple weeks' time, but nothing that will affect the success of your petition in the long run.

EDIT: Many people on these forums will tell you to do this process by yourself instead of hiring a lawyer, and in most cases I agree. But you're dealing wiht the federal government, and you have to be extremely detail-oriented for things to go smoothly in the least amount of time possible. Every time you read instructions for filling out a form or submitting anything, make sure you understand all the terms and ask here first if you don't.

Edited by sma1488

Then Approximately $1070 When? When she gets here or when she applies for residency?

Once your fiancee arrives and you both get married within 90 days, the $1070 is for Adjustment of Status (AOS), which is her application for her green card (permanent resident card). Advance Parole (AP) and Employment Authorization (EA) is free when filed along with AOS, so effectively $1070 is for all three. AOS can take up to and sometime more than 12 months (mine took 8 months; average), but she will be able to travel outside of the US (AP) and work (EA) usually after approximately 60 days of filing, don't forget to apply for her AP/EA alongside your AOS.

AOS will grant her a conditional 2 year green card, after which she will need to apply for Removal of Conditions (ROC) which costs $585, that will replace her conditional 2 year green card for a 10 year standard green card (no longer conditional of marriage).

Technically there is no time frame for filing AOS, as long as you legally marry within 90 days, however it's strongly recommended you apply for it before the 90 days expires, because your wife will then be 'out of status' as soon as the 90 days elapses.

Then there's citizenship :protest: ...

Good Luck! :dancing:

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Timeline

Thank You GrayL. Good information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.