together2USA

NOT ENOUGH INCOME, NO CO-SPONSOR, DCF in Bangkok. Advice & Experiences Pls!!!!!!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Thanks so much Christi85. I'm not sure Is that the reason why the lawyer told us that we need 5x instead of 3x or not. (I thought may be they require more in Thailand.)

To tell you the true, I know that our case won't be that easy. I just hope that we present ourself good enough for them to prove our case.

At first I was very worry about our case because I was reading somewhere online and they said that If you don't have a job or a steady income from other sources (such as retirement income), you will likely have to get a co-sponsor for your spouse, even if your assets are adequate. The USCIS looks very closely at current income and not just the assets :( I hope this is not true.

About the co-sponsor, I thought I got one til I found out that this year he didn't make enough income. If I can just show tax transcript, we'll be just fine lol I'll keep looking just incase, but so far I didn't have any luck. Could you pls tell me how long USCIS will need to prove for US income? (In case of people who need to go back to US to find a job.) I just want to be prepared for everything.

Thank you all again for helping us out. You guys are awesome :)

Don't worry too much. Just focus on building a strong case and you'll be fine. If you had to go back and find a job, I think even an offer letter or signed contract would satisfy the requirement for US-incurred income. At least that's how it was back in the day when we were doing DCF. You don't have to prove that you have been working there for X amount of time, although I'm sure that would be viewed as 'steadier' if you were. If your friend is willing to make you a job offer and write an offer letter for you, then that might very well be all you need income and domicile-wise. Good luck!

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply Ning. I got an invitation letter from my friend to stay at her place while we try to get a job. I was wonder If we really need to stay there at all? We prefer to get our own place. Also a job offer letter that my friend will write for me. Do you know how many pages do I need to write a basic plan for? I've no idea what to write besides try to find a job and a place to stay lol

I know what my husband did after living in Thailand for two years. He wrote out a plan that covered the first 6 months of our stay in the USA. That included where we would live meaning what town or city not a specific address. He explained where he would be employed. Where our daughter would go to school. Things like that. They don't care about the details but no one would simply fly to LAX without a plan of how they would begin the life they wanted to live in the USA. You need to think over the responses so they are more defined than " try to find a job ". Don't develop a mystery for them try to understand or the interview may be very long and difficult. Anticipate what questions they will want to ask.

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

Don't worry too much. Just focus on building a strong case and you'll be fine. If you had to go back and find a job, I think even an offer letter or signed contract would satisfy the requirement for US-incurred income. At least that's how it was back in the day when we were doing DCF. You don't have to prove that you have been working there for X amount of time, although I'm sure that would be viewed as 'steadier' if you were. If your friend is willing to make you a job offer and write an offer letter for you, then that might very well be all you need income and domicile-wise. Good luck!

Thank you so much once again Christi85 :) Yes, you're right. We'll do our best and stop worry about what we can't control loll

Timeline

I know what my husband did after living in Thailand for two years. He wrote out a plan that covered the first 6 months of our stay in the USA. That included where we would live meaning what town or city not a specific address. He explained where he would be employed. Where our daughter would go to school. Things like that. They don't care about the details but no one would simply fly to LAX without a plan of how they would begin the life they wanted to live in the USA. You need to think over the responses so they are more defined than " try to find a job ". Don't develop a mystery for them try to understand or the interview may be very long and difficult. Anticipate what questions they will want to ask.

Thanks a lot Ning!!! That makes a lot of sense. I'll get to work on it right now.

Timeline

Thanks a lot Ning!!! That makes a lot of sense. I'll get to work on it right now.

Please keep in mind not many would have the cash assets you have so that is a huge plus. I suggest you include a simple projection of expenses to indicate you have thought about that aspect. I would also include something indicating you are aware of the improving economy and job market and only expect to be seeking employment for a short time while acknowledging your probable acceptance of the job you mentioned. The idea is to show you are considering all options and will certainly find a way to support your family which is what they want to hear most of all. My husband did all of this; had assets similar to yours and we experienced no real problems at the embassy. Its seemed easy to me and only took about 15 minutes in the end.

The anxiety of the time leading up to that day is far worse than the event.

Timeline

Please keep in mind not many would have the cash assets you have so that is a huge plus. I suggest you include a simple projection of expenses to indicate you have thought about that aspect. I would also include something indicating you are aware of the improving economy and job market and only expect to be seeking employment for a short time while acknowledging your probable acceptance of the job you mentioned. The idea is to show you are considering all options and will certainly find a way to support your family which is what they want to hear most of all. My husband did all of this; had assets similar to yours and we experienced no real problems at the embassy. Its seemed easy to me and only took about 15 minutes in the end.

The anxiety of the time leading up to that day is far worse than the event.

Once again thank you so much Ning!!!! This really help me to see the bigger picture. At least I'm very happy to hear that somebody who had a similar situation got an approval. I hope you don't mind me asking a bit more just to be sure. As I understand, your husband used an Assets as Affidavit of support (About 75k, All in cash). Did he shows anything else like property, car or insurance? The only reason I asked because I only have 75k in US bank account (After I sell stuff in Thailand. Right now I only have about 30k) and a small piece of land worth about $10,000. That's all I have. I'm not sure how USCIS in Thailand works but I've been told that foreign assets doesn't count. Your husband also wrote a 6 mths plan letter. I guess you both don't have a problem about an intent to domicile. Wow you had no idea how happy I am right now :)Even though there still no guarantee for our case. At least I start to see a light at the end of the tunnel :)

PS. I also plan to show my credit score, a voter registration notification and also a job search on career builder. (They sent me job recommendations and also a position that I may be interested in based on information from the resume )

Timeline

Once again thank you so much Ning!!!! This really help me to see the bigger picture. At least I'm very happy to hear that somebody who had a similar situation got an approval. I hope you don't mind me asking a bit more just to be sure. As I understand, your husband used an Assets as Affidavit of support (About 75k, All in cash). Did he shows anything else like property, car or insurance? The only reason I asked because I only have 75k in US bank account (After I sell stuff in Thailand. Right now I only have about 30k) and a small piece of land worth about $10,000. That's all I have. I'm not sure how USCIS in Thailand works but I've been told that foreign assets doesn't count. Your husband also wrote a 6 mths plan letter. I guess you both don't have a problem about an intent to domicile. Wow you had no idea how happy I am right now :)Even though there still no guarantee for our case. At least I start to see a light at the end of the tunnel :)

PS. I also plan to show my credit score, a voter registration notification and also a job search on career builder. (They sent me job recommendations and also a position that I may be interested in based on information from the resume )

Keep in mind your assets must be liquid to be acceptable. This means things like property, cars or anything that isn't easily converted to cash wont be considered. I suggest you think this thru, write out your rough draft letter while also thinking of a backup plan which should include a co sponsor.

Your letter should include info about how and when you will establish domicile which of course you have to do anyway.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

If the money you stated is a savings account, you shouldn't have any problems

It's also interesting to see the different requirements in the filing countries: presenting assets and domicile while doing DCF in Frankfurt was like 5 minutes incl. my wife's interview.

Edited by Mark88

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

Keep in mind your assets must be liquid to be acceptable. This means things like property, cars or anything that isn't easily converted to cash wont be considered. I suggest you think this thru, write out your rough draft letter while also thinking of a backup plan which should include a co sponsor.

Your letter should include info about how and when you will establish domicile which of course you have to do anyway.

Thank you Ning. Yes, the assets that I show will be money in my US bank account. I plan to transfer about 45k to US bank account when my land in Thailand is sold. I also have some money in stocks and bonds in Thailand which I can converted to cash. (If I have to) Eventually, I should be able to show about 75k since I only have 30k right now. I'm so sorry If I confused you. My point is cash in US bank account and a small piece of land worth about 10k, that's all I got for Affidavit of support since I couldn't find a co-sponsor.

The reason I asked you about property and car is because I think I need to provide to prove that I have established my domiciliary. I sold my car when I came to Thailand last year. I also rent a room from my friend's place, so I never have a house. I hope this won't be an issue.

Timeline

If the money you stated is a savings account, you shouldn't have any problems

It's also interesting to see the different requirements in the filing countries: presenting assets and domicile while doing DCF in Frankfurt was like 5 minutes incl. my wife's interview.

Thank you so much Mark88. That would be amazing, If I can get my husband to US with using assets alone for the Affidavit of support.

I should have enough assets according to the 125% of Poverty line for 2014. Then again I heard that It's depend on the consulate. Yes, It'll be very interesting to see the different requirement in different countries. Congrats to both of you!!! Thank you for sharing your experience with me. That's way I can hope for the best and prepare for the worst lol

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I've read elsewhere that the IO can still deny the Visa even if you meet the supplement income criteria as they strongly prefer either a co-sponsor or employment. Again, that's what I've read after searching high and low on this website. I'm in the same situation and have US cash well over the the requirement for the supplement income but will still be seeking a co-sponsor.

Edited by sanchez411

Timeline

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I've read elsewhere that the IO can still deny the Visa even if you meet the supplement income criteria as they strongly prefer either a co-sponsor or employment. Again, that's what I've read after searching high and low on this website. I'm in the same situation and have US cash well over the the requirement for the supplement income but will still be seeking a co-sponsor.

Thank you so much sanchez411. Sad but true. Yes, that's why I was so worry. I still be seeking for a co-sponsor as well, but I got no luck so far lol At this point I leave everything in God's hand :) I used to be in front of the computer all the time, try to seek for an answer. I was going crazy!!!!! Now I figure I can't just worry about things I can't control. Pls keep me posted. Good luck to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.