r0ck_s0lid

PLZZZ HELP!!!!!! USMLE B1/B2 visa question

19 posts in this topic

Hey everyone this is my first post here , I'm an IMG ( international medical graduate) and I've already completed my step 1 and step 2 ck exam with good scores and I want to apply to Sep 2015 Match. I'm intending to travel to the US to attend my step 2 CS exam and do an unpaid externship. The thing is, my whole family are American citizens, with my mom and two brothers currently residing in the US. I have have an immigrant visa application at the NVC and I'm expecting to get my Green Card in approx~5-7 months. If I want to apply for a B1/B2 visa right now, what are my chances of getting it, because honestly I don't want to waste 7 precious months (maybe more) waiting for my GC if I could be doing something (externship, observership, medical research) to improve my chances of getting into residency in the US. BTW, and I'm not getting paid while staying in the US and I'm not doing anything illegal. Can I hide the fact that I have an immigrant visa application and that I have relatives in the US and just choose "NO relatives" in my DS-160 form or will I be getting myself into trouble.

Plz advise me

PD 1 Aug 2007

Filed: Timeline

the DoS computers are linked in with NVC - they will know instantly that you have an immigrant visa petition pending...so, when applying for a B1, what believable reasons are you planning to offer as to why you would return insteat of staying put?

Your future plans are not relevant to overcoming 214b....what matters to the CO is whether or not they believe you will return as promised...and with an IV about ready to become current, well, I cannot imagine what excuses you might try....but none of them are going to sound credible.

That would be dis-honest, jumping the line by misrep

earning U a lifetime ban, as a medical student U should

be aware that the State Dept. knows everything, so no one

here can or should aid U into being deceptive in applying

for a tourist visa as U suggested with only a few more mths

to LPR. They most likely will not issue U a tourist visa

because of immigrant intent

Thank you everyone for your reply. I guess I wont be going through with it. Honestly, I never thought it had such a grave consequences but I will apply, nevertheless, for a B1/B2 visa because it's extremely important for my future to have at least some medical experience in the US before I apply for residency in Sep 2015. I will explain my situation in details to the visa officer and bring along with me a letter from the ECFMG to prove that I have an exam to attend. Hopefully, I will get my visa then

PD 1 Aug 2007

unpaid externship ? IF it is something that is normally a paid you can't legally do it as unpaid on a visitors visa

Externship is a type of US clinical experience in which you pay a fee in return of getting medical training in a hospital or a clinic. I just wanted to clarify that I wont be getting any money, on the contrary, I will be paying 2k/month for this

Edited by r0ck_s0lid

PD 1 Aug 2007

One can do an unpaid 'observership' on a B1, but what will matter to the CO is not WHY you want to go to the US, but WHY you will return instead of camping out waiting for the immigrant visa. AGain, your future plans about your career is not up for consideration when applying for a B1/B2 visa...what matters the most is convincing the CO you will return to your own country...and that sounds like it will not be the case....what reasons (that are credible) could you give? You don't have a job, your family lives in the US....

One can do an unpaid 'observership' on a B1, but what will matter to the CO is not WHY you want to go to the US, but WHY you will return instead of camping out waiting for the immigrant visa. AGain, your future plans about your career is not up for consideration when applying for a B1/B2 visa...what matters the most is convincing the CO you will return to your own country...and that sounds like it will not be the case....what reasons (that are credible) could you give? You don't have a job, your family lives in the US....

I'll tell the CO the story as it is and explain to her what I will be doing in the coming months and how vital it is for my application. Of course, I will return to my country because I have an interview for an immigrant visa in a few months time, which IMO is a better motive than having a job. I will only try once and hope it works

Thank you all for clarifying this point and stopping me from making the biggest mistake in my life.

PD 1 Aug 2007

claiming you will return for an interview instead of doing an AOS is not believeable....way too many people have 'forgotten' to return and instead have had the ever popular 'mind change' that seems to befall them at baggage claim. An interview for an immigrant visa is NOT considered a strong reason (nor any reason) to return to one's country....and besides, your last statement is in direct conflict with your first posting.

since you were so willing to 'hide the fact' that an immigrant visa is pending is a strong indicator that you have zero intentions of ever returning if granted a B1/B2 visa...

claiming you will return for an interview instead of doing an AOS is not believeable....way too many people have 'forgotten' to return and instead have had the ever popular 'mind change' that seems to befall them at baggage claim. An interview for an immigrant visa is NOT considered a strong reason (nor any reason) to return to one's country....and besides, your last statement is in direct conflict with your first posting.

since you were so willing to 'hide the fact' that an immigrant visa is pending is a strong indicator that you have zero intentions of ever returning if granted a B1/B2 visa...

What's an AOS, can I attend the interview in the US instead of the American embassy in my home country and how does that contradict my first statement. My plan was to take the tourist visa, do a couple of months externship and then return to my home country a few days before the interview, get my Green Card and then return to the US to finish my training instead of pissing away 6 precious months waiting for a GC. Edited by r0ck_s0lid

PD 1 Aug 2007

What's an AOS, can I attend the interview in the US instead of the American embassy in my home country and how does that contradict with my first statement. My plan was to take the tourist visa, do a couple of months externship and then return to my home country a few days before the interview, get my Green Card and then return to the US to finish my training instead of pissing away 6 precious months waiting for a GC.

PD 1 Aug 2007

What's an AOS, can I attend the interview in the US instead of the American embassy in my home country and how does that contradict my first statement. My plan was to take the tourist visa, do a couple of months externship and then return to my home country a few days before the interview, get my Green Card and then return to the US to finish my training instead of pissing away 6 precious months waiting for a GC.

PD 1 Aug 2007

Quote....Can I hide the fact I have immigrant petition pending, this

contradict all U R now saying ...Quote I don't want to wait 7 mths.

If its on the up & up Y fish here on how to deceive...But go ahead

and apply as U said U will U may get lucky in not disclosing the

facts, who knows many things may fall thru the cracks ...good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let us know how it goes

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.