spookyturtle

Obama has been on a third as many vacations as George W. Bush had at this point in his presidency

14 posts in this topic

Even with all of Obama's golf time he still has a long way to go to catch up to Bush's down time. I guess Republicans like to take time off at taxpayers expense too.
  • Obama has taken 20 vacations compared to George W. Bush's 58
  • Bush also spent substantially more days on vacation Obama
  • The current occupant of the White House has played golf more frequently and attended loads more political fundraisers, however

President Barack Obama has been on a third as many vacations as George W. Bush had at this point in his presidency, according a statistical analysis of the two presidencies that was published today.

By CBS News Correspondent and White House historian Mark Knoller's count, President Obama has taken 20 vacations, including the one he is currently on in Martha's Vineyard, since he took office in January of 2009.

Bush had taken a whopping 58 vacations midway through his second term, Knoller told Yahoo News.

The current occupant of the White House still has his predecessor beat by a long shot in terms of the number of fundraisers he's attended and golf games he's played, however.

Obama has hit the links 186 times since taking office, according to Knoller's records. Bush only played 24 rounds of golf throughout his entire presidency.

Then-president Bush put a halt to the hobby after the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, explaining years later that he felt 'playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.'

'I don't want some mum whose son may have recently died to see the commander-in-chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them,' Bush said in 2008.

Meanwhile, President Obama has went golfing three times this week already while on holiday in Massachusetts even as the U.S. launched airstrikes on Islamic extremists in Iraq and contemplated a humanitarian rescue of Iraqis stranded on a mountain.

Bush attended far fewer political fundraisers that Obama while living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, as well.

In announcing Obama's 400th fundraiser as president on twitter Monday, Knoller said Bush had headlined 224 cash-gathering events at the same point in time.

The frequency of Obama's golf outings and appearances at events to raise money for the Democratic Party has contributed to the perception that he has spent less time working than his Republican counterpart.

But Bush also spent substantially more days on vacation than Obama, Knoller notes.

As of yesterday, Obama had taken a total of 129 full or partial vacation days compared to Bush's 381.

And those are just the days and times Bush visited his Prairie Chapel ranch in Texas. He also vacationed at his family's property in Kennebunkport, Maine, seven times for a total of 26 days.

Knoller said he did not count trips to presidential retreat Camp David as vacations. But even if he had, Bush would have Obama beat in that category, too.

Obama has only taken 33 trips to Camp David throughout his two terms and has spent a total of 84 days there. Bush frequented the getaway stop 108 times over the same length of time and stayed there for a total of 341 days.

Yahoo points out that not all of days Bush spent at his Texas ranch were true 'vacation days' as he sometimes played host to world leaders there. His getaways to Maine and numerous visits to Camp David more than offset the difference, however.

To take the title of vacationer-in-chief from Bush, Obama would need to take 879 days off before the end of his second term, the Washington Post states.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724270/Obama-went-vacations-George-W-Bush-point-presidency.html

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Bush was a figurehead for his father's business interests. When he got elected he decided he was on a gravy train and it wasn't as though he was actually making any decisions. He just signed the paperwork.

Edited by Hail Ming!

where's beer? this seems like a thread he'd want to dispute..

He's looking at right wing blogs and Fox news as we speak. Those are the only places he gets his "facts" from.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

He was blindsided by a 2X4 in another thread. He's probably still recovering.

where's beer? this seems like a thread he'd want to dispute..

He's looking at right wing blogs and Fox news as we speak. Those are the only places he gets his "facts" from.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

He was blindsided by a 2X4 in another thread. He's probably still recovering.

Hey, Teddy tried to warn him. Not my fault he walked into my swing... :rofl:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Both sides pointing fingers is non-sense and has nothing to do with the issues.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It doesn't take away from the falling of the Bush Administration. He was blatantly a figurehead for Halliburton etc. It didn't make any difference how many days Bush went on holiday, he wasn't pulling the strings snyway. He may as well have taken both terms as an 8 year sabbatical. The end result would have been the same.

Edited by Hail Ming!

Killjoy.

I know it's like coming down off of a High, when I bring the voice of reason and moderate politics crashing down.

You shouldnt be countin vacations should be lookin at a vacant mind.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Even with all of Obama's golf time he still has a long way to go to catch up to Bush's down time. I guess Republicans like to take time off at taxpayers expense too.

• Obama has taken 20 vacations compared to George W. Bush's 58
  • Bush also spent substantially more days on vacation Obama
  • The current occupant of the White House has played golf more frequently and attended loads more political fundraisers, however

President Barack Obama has been on a third as many vacations as George W. Bush had at this point in his presidency, according a statistical analysis of the two presidencies that was published today.

By CBS News Correspondent and White House historian Mark Knoller's count, President Obama has taken 20 vacations, including the one he is currently on in Martha's Vineyard, since he took office in January of 2009.

Bush had taken a whopping 58 vacations midway through his second term, Knoller told Yahoo News.

The current occupant of the White House still has his predecessor beat by a long shot in terms of the number of fundraisers he's attended and golf games he's played, however.

Obama has hit the links 186 times since taking office, according to Knoller's records. Bush only played 24 rounds of golf throughout his entire presidency.

Then-president Bush put a halt to the hobby after the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, explaining years later that he felt 'playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.'

'I don't want some mum whose son may have recently died to see the commander-in-chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them,' Bush said in 2008.

Meanwhile, President Obama has went golfing three times this week already while on holiday in Massachusetts even as the U.S. launched airstrikes on Islamic extremists in Iraq and contemplated a humanitarian rescue of Iraqis stranded on a mountain.

Bush attended far fewer political fundraisers that Obama while living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, as well.

In announcing Obama's 400th fundraiser as president on twitter Monday, Knoller said Bush had headlined 224 cash-gathering events at the same point in time.

The frequency of Obama's golf outings and appearances at events to raise money for the Democratic Party has contributed to the perception that he has spent less time working than his Republican counterpart.

But Bush also spent substantially more days on vacation than Obama, Knoller notes.

As of yesterday, Obama had taken a total of 129 full or partial vacation days compared to Bush's 381.

And those are just the days and times Bush visited his Prairie Chapel ranch in Texas. He also vacationed at his family's property in Kennebunkport, Maine, seven times for a total of 26 days.

Knoller said he did not count trips to presidential retreat Camp David as vacations. But even if he had, Bush would have Obama beat in that category, too.

Obama has only taken 33 trips to Camp David throughout his two terms and has spent a total of 84 days there. Bush frequented the getaway stop 108 times over the same length of time and stayed there for a total of 341 days.

Yahoo points out that not all of days Bush spent at his Texas ranch were true 'vacation days' as he sometimes played host to world leaders there. His getaways to Maine and numerous visits to Camp David more than offset the difference, however.

To take the title of vacationer-in-chief from Bush, Obama would need to take 879 days off before the end of his second term, the Washington Post states.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724270/Obama-went-vacations-George-W-Bush-point-presidency.html

As long as the guy with the secret briefcase tags along really who cares how much golf he plays?

Bush was a figurehead for his father's business interests. When he got elected he decided he was on a gravy train and it wasn't as though he was actually making any decisions. He just signed the paperwork.

War can be a profitable enterprise as long as you're not the guy holding the rifle in the front of the line.

What I would really like to know is who has gotten freaky more times in the WH-Bush or Obama..