mikkopel

Think you're done? Not so fast!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Finland
Timeline

So, I got naturalized four months ago... What's happened since?

First of all the passport office lost my Certificate of Naturalization. First they said "Oh look we never returned it, sorry" then they changed it to "We looked for it but can't find it. So we must have returned it with the passport." At least I got the passport before they lost it, so I have that to fall back on.

Then on a related note, my grad school wants me to sign up for SSS. But I'm 36. I moved into the US when I was 27. They don't seem to understand the situation.

Awesome. At least I haven't received a jury duty summons yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

So, I got naturalized four months ago... What's happened since?

First of all the passport office lost my Certificate of Naturalization. First they said "Oh look we never returned it, sorry" then they changed it to "We looked for it but can't find it. So we must have returned it with the passport." At least I got the passport before they lost it, so I have that to fall back on.

Then on a related note, my grad school wants me to sign up for SSS. But I'm 36. I moved into the US when I was 27. They don't seem to understand the situation.

Awesome. At least I haven't received a jury duty summons yet.

That must be really frustrating. Do you have any recourse other than to apply for and pay for a replacement certificate?

On a lighter note, your last comment reminded me of the Stanley character from "The Office". In one of the earlier seasons, he says:

"I have been trying to get on jury duty every year since I was 18 years old. To get to go sit in an air conditioned room, downtown, judging people, while my lunch is paid for...that is the life."

:-)

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

That must be really frustrating. Do you have any recourse other than to apply for and pay for a replacement certificate?

On a lighter note, your last comment reminded me of the Stanley character from "The Office". In one of the earlier seasons, he says:

"I have been trying to get on jury duty every year since I was 18 years old. To get to go sit in an air conditioned room, downtown, judging people, while my lunch is paid for...that is the life."

:-)

I've been sent jury duty summons at least 3 times since becoming a LPR. The last one was at the beginning of this year. My USC husband has NEVER received one. Go figure!

I read somewhere that you can definitely get a replacement Certificate of Naturalization. At least you have your passport!

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Filed: Country: Finland
Timeline

Yeah I guess I could get it replace. But it does cost a lot of money. The letter from State Department seemed to suggest that they *might* reimburse me. Does anyone have any experience if they actually will?

The question is also, am I going to need it, since I already have a passport to prove my citizenship?

You definitely have to try and have them reimburse you for the cost of getting a new certificate that is so expense to replace if THEY lost it at their office.

I'm not sure if you could take them to small claims court, I know I would if they didn't want to reimburse me.

If it got lost in the mail, ask for a tracking number and find out with USPS since they usually send it back priority mail, it may have been insured.

Also, the important thing is that you have your passport. While a cert of naturalization is valid proof of citizenship, a passport is always an even better proof because they have to determine that you haven't lost your citizenship when issuing you a passport.

It is unnecessary to file for a replacement certificate immediately, so do so when you can and if you have to, it may show up. Good luck!

Yeah I guess I could get it replace. But it does cost a lot of money. The letter from State Department seemed to suggest that they *might* reimburse me. Does anyone have any experience if they actually will?

The question is also, am I going to need it, since I already have a passport to prove my citizenship?

This does not constitute legal advice.

Also for the SSS registration, since you came here after your 26th birthday, they cannot require you to register. Make them aware of the law by showing them a copy of the requirements on their website. File a complaint with the appropriate authority if you have to. I'm also not surprised they don't know the requirements, the staff in universities are idiots lol. You can print out and show them the following link or the chart:

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

This does not constitute legal advice.

You can apply for SSS and they will reject you and tell you you are too old. Then you could show your SSS rejection to your school ;)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

i hope you have an update by now. I got my citizenship back in end of May and I applied my passport in mid july, and now all of my documents have been returned to me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.