ccdr14

MARRIAGE FRAUD

72 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Okay, AOS costs $315 plus $70 for fingerprinting, EAD, authorization to work is $170 or $180, can't remember exactly. My husband was able to get his social security soon after arriving on K-1 visa, but it said authorized to work only with DHS approval.

How long did you know this woman before she came to live with you? It is possible she didn't have a lot of clothes to bring with her to America and she probably believed you had a lot of money and would buy her new clothes and other things she never had back home. Remember, many people think all Americans are rich.

I am not going to accuse you of mistreating her, I hope you loved her and were good to her. Regardless, if you never filed AOS she can't adjust her status through you. She could claim abuse and get a green card on her own. This would incriminate you as an abusive husband and from what I hear these petitions can be processed quickly.

I'm sorry this happened and even if she didn't intend to use you or hurt you, if you feel used and hurt the pain is great no matter what her true intentions were.

You need to notify USCIS, get a divorce and then heal. You cannot control if she stays in the country. You can only control what you do with your life now. Breaking up is never easy.

Best wishes :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
What data -apart from her husband gives you- do you have to decide she is a fraud?

The mere fact she married her USC husband just to "immigrate" to the US.

So yes, it is IMMIGRATION FRAUD, regardless of a GC being involved or not.

Strict interpretation of INS law states that an alien can marry for the purposes of attaining permanent residency in the USA, as long as that is not the SOLE reason for marrying. In other words, one can be an alien and fall in love with a US citizen with the notion that one reason you love him/her is because he/she lives in America and as his/her spouse you will automatically become entitled to the same benefit of living in the USA permanently. This would not necessarily constitute "marriage for immigration benefit" because the statutes state that marriage fraud involves an alien entering into a marriage (note that I said entering into and not remaining in) for the sole purpose of gaining immigration benefits. As odd as it seems, that is the way the regulations are written.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

In other words, one can be an alien and fall in love with a US citizen with the notion that one reason you love him/her is because he/she lives in America and as his/her spouse you will automatically become entitled to the same benefit of living in the USA permanently.

So it's ok to marry out of interest, as long as love justifies it.

This would not necessarily constitute "marriage for immigration benefit" because the statutes state that marriage fraud involves an alien entering into a marriage (note that I said entering into and not remaining in) for the sole purpose of gaining immigration benefits. As odd as it seems, that is the way the regulations are written.

The great majority of aliens enter into marriage and remain in it for as long as it is necessary with the sole purpose of gaining immigration benefits. Others move out and change their address with the PO, but not with the USCIS right after the USCsubmitting the AOS paperwork, as to make it seem if they're still remaining

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
In other words, one can be an alien and fall in love with a US citizen with the notion that one reason you love him/her is because he/she lives in America and as his/her spouse you will automatically become entitled to the same benefit of living in the USA permanently.

This would not necessarily constitute "marriage for immigration benefit" because the statutes state that marriage fraud involves an alien entering into a marriage (note that I said entering into and not remaining in) for the sole purpose of gaining immigration benefits. As odd as it seems, that is the way the regulations are written.

The great majority of aliens enter into marriage and remain in it for as long as it is necessary with the sole purpose of gaining immigration benefits. Others move out and change their address with the PO, but not with the USCIS right after the USCsubmitting the AOS paperwork, as to make it seem if they're still remaining

Thats bullshit :no:

Well at least not from where I come from

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey you what :whistle:

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

wow thats wrong :blink: ... good luck

Thanks all for your continuing comments. I cannot fault anyone who posted, either positive or negative.

I try to always keep an open mind and always consider what the other persons feelings and thoughts maybe. Some of you have stated that youhave only heard one side of the story...mine. Well as correct as that maybe I can't change that. I really do wish I could as I have been told as of yesterday what she has been saying about me to other Russian friends of hers.

I never brought her any clothes, feminine hygeine products. I kept her inside the house and would never let her go out. I refused to get her a Social Security Card in order to work. That I refused to let her work period.

O.K. so lets take this step by step. How many of you have filed or know about filing for an Adjustment of Status??? It is a long drawn-out process that involves many documents and cost around 500.00. I did not file for her AOS as soon as she got her as the holidays were coming and there were presents to buy for the family and friends. So instead of going financially into the hole I waited until after the holidays to start the process. AS well as having this years income tax statement completed to include with the AOS. AS you know part of the AOS is also a Employment Authorization Document. That has to be approved by USCIS before I can take her to get a Social Security Card.

I was not about to let her work anywhere without one, as my wife's Russian frined suggested I do.

So, the entire process from start to Finish for the AOS process can take as long as 6. 8 or more months. That's if everything else goes smoothly. My wife was not ready to accept this. SHe believed her Russina friend who told her that I she had to do to get a S.S. card was to go to the S.S. Administration.

The very first week my wife was here, Me and my daughter took her out clothes shopping since she arrived with one one pair of jeans, one skirt and one top. She was never denied and type of helth care products. SHe went with her friends and our neighbors shopping many times. I would always give her money for this.

And I could go on and on but there is no sense. I know some of you will think I'm simply an American who got a woman over here and abused her and there are others who will see this for what it is..

Thanks Again.

While not even having the LPR status attaches you the dignity and freedom of action/movement as citizenship does you refrained from getting your spouse that status.

Do you have any idea what it is to be living in limbo? You can not expect your spouse to live in a vacuum...live like a tourist.

There is no shame in demanding a dignified status.

If you thought your spouse as a household help only..then it is different. But apparently your wife did not like or expected this status beforehand.

If you do not want to pay immigration fees..or wait then you should let your feelings be known to your representatives. As far as I see everyone is happy with this fu.ked-up system...

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

dmartmar,

I had no idea you're an Anti-fraud investigator for USCIS! My apologies, appearances can be deceiving. :whistle:

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

report this fraud immediately so the authorities know what she did. if u get a divorce she might be able to petition herself by reporting to the immigration that you have been a bad husband or been abusive husband. Its in one of the laws that if the marriage fails the beneficiary can petition his or herself but it depends on the circumstances..goodluck

Filed: Other Timeline
Okay, AOS costs $315 plus $70 for fingerprinting, EAD, authorization to work is $170 or $180, can't remember exactly. My husband was able to get his social security soon after arriving on K-1 visa, but it said authorized to work only with DHS approval.

K3 cannot get SSN until they have an EAD card in hand. So even if he had applied as soon as she landed, it would still be a few months before she'd have legal eligibility to work. She probably knew that ahead of time, but is playing dumb.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

u better kicked her out from the United States.U have to call the INS in your area and ask them how to deport her since she is a K3.Goodluck to u!!!!!! :dance:

Met online - December 2002

Met face-to-face - May 28, 2004

Engaged - June 4, 2004

I-129F mailed - June 16, 2004

Received by NSC - June 21

NOA1 date - June 28

NOA2 online - September 20

Petition received in Manila - September 30

Packet 3 Received - November 27

Medical Exam - January 5, 2005

Immunizations - January 12

Interview scheduled for January 21

Approved!!!! - January 21

Visa in hand!!!!! - January 25!

CFO Seminar- January 27

Pumpkin will return to the Philippines - February 3

Home in Denver with my Pumpkin- February 8

Received Social Security Number - February 24

Civil Marriage - February 24

Adjustment of Status App. received at CIS - April 18

Employment Authorization App. received at CIS - May 11

Passed written test - received Driving Instruction Permit - May 23

Biometrics - June 11

EAD Approved Online - July 6

Second fingerprint appointment - July 16

Catholic Church Wedding Ceremony November 26

RFE received by the CIS - January 6

AOS APPROVED! - January 21

2.png

dmartmar,

I had no idea you're an Anti-fraud investigator for USCIS!

I'm not. I just speak from firsthand experience.

First off, I don't want to ride you, because I am aware of your experience and I know that it can be a very hurtful and painful experience that many would have a diifficult time understanding. I also would not find it surprising that scars that can form as a result, but my point was that it's your firsthand experience, and not necessarily to be applied in the general sense.

When you make sweeping statements like above, it appears that you aren't restricting it only to your specific case, but to many if not most. And that's not accurate, in the first place, and not just either. There is no doubt that some aliens might contemplate entering marriage for the sole purpose of immigration benefit, in fact, the regulations are written in the way that they are as a by-product of a percentage of aliens that have done just that. Some of those aliens are also savvy enough to realise how to navigate the process so that they achieve their goal. That can include aliens that remain married just long enough to secure the residency and not a moment longer. It's not that I do not agree with what you are saying, but it's a hazard to state it in such a way that is appears to represent a large body of people.

P.S. In the event of an alien moving and only placing a forwarding order with the Post Office and not with USCIS, if USCIS sends notification of approval of the GC without an interview, and if the envelope bears certain language it cannot be forwarded and would be returned to the Service Centre, which would alert USCIS to look into the matter with a little more scrutiny. Now, I'm not saying that all notifications are mailed this way, because I happen to know they aren't, but some are.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.