Cwood81

Argentina-LA; K-1, CR-1 or get married in the US

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you want to be together sooner rather than later I suggest you go the K1 route because if you're in LA you will be processed through the CSC which takes less than 6 months.

To clarify: this does not mean you'll be together inside 6 months. There are still places to go, consulates to visit, after the service center. (Also, worth noting that just because the service center is running fast now is no guarantee it will continue running fast. Last year, our K-1 was processed at TSC in super-fast time; about three weeks later it turned into the morass it is now. So,...)

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Another thing to consider as you're going to be a student with little to no income is that if you file for a K-1 and then AOS after you get married, meaning you wife won't be able to work for that initial period, either, that costs quite a bit more (I believe) than the CR-1. For the K-1 you have to pay all of the filing fees, and then when you AOS you have more fees to pay at that time, too.

As much as it sucks, my husband and I chose to go the CR-1 route because while it does mean we are apart now, he can continue to work in England while we're waiting for the process since he's not the type that would have been able to handle sitting around for 3-5 months doing nothing, waiting on an EAD if we had gone the K-1 route.

Thank you for pointing this out. We are considering this. I think she really wants to leave her current job and may use the 90 days for other projects.

In your experience, did the CR-1 come out to be $903 in total fees after everything was finished as stated in the comparison chart?

If you want to be together sooner rather than later I suggest you go the K1 route because if you're in LA you will be processed through the CSC which takes less than 6 months.

As far as your taxes go they ask for the past 3 years of taxes. If you fall under the required income which currently is something like $19,500 (folks please correct me if I'm wrong on the number) you do need a co-sponsor.

A co-sponsor can be anyone, they do not have to be related to your or your girlfriend. However they need to be made aware that if they are going to co-sponsor it's not just signing a piece of paper but officially stating that in case your girlfriend needs financial support they are willing to take it on. The co-sponsor would also have to sign and submit an I-134 (this happens after the NOA2) together with 3 most recent years of income tax or they can submit 2 years of income tax and most recent pay stubs.

Thank you for this information. I will begin looking for a co-sponsor. I will also investigate further for the burdens and qualifications.

This will NEVER happen, but are there any repercussions for the co-sponsors for other things like if she were to commit a crime? Are there others besides financial burdens? I just want to let potential co-sponsor know everything they are getting into.

Thank you for pointing this out. We are considering this. I think she really wants to leave her current job and may use the 90 days for other projects.

In your experience, did the CR-1 come out to be $903 in total fees after everything was finished as stated in the comparison chart?

I can't say just yet. We are only 2 months into the process, so still waiting on NOA2. So far we've only had to pay the $420 to file the I-130.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Timeline

To clarify: this does not mean you'll be together inside 6 months. There are still places to go, consulates to visit, after the service center. (Also, worth noting that just because the service center is running fast now is no guarantee it will continue running fast. Last year, our K-1 was processed at TSC in super-fast time; about three weeks later it turned into the morass it is now. So,...)

uff.... sorry to hear that. I'm starting to understand how big of an undertaking this all is.

Unfortunately I have to leave her in the middle of September which will mean being apart for awhile.

I've read that with a CR-1 Visa she wouldn't be able to enter the US while we are involved in the process of obtaining the visa. So if we wanted to see each other, I would have to return here or meet somewhere outside the US?

Is this the same for a K-1 Visa? A few months from now while everything is being processed, could she come visit me on a tourist visa?

uff.... sorry to hear that. I'm starting to understand how big of an undertaking this all is.

Unfortunately I have to leave her in the middle of September which will mean being apart for awhile.

I've read that with a CR-1 Visa she wouldn't be able to enter the US while we are involved in the process of obtaining the visa. So if we wanted to see each other, I would have to return here or meet somewhere outside the US?

Is this the same for a K-1 Visa? A few months from now while everything is being processed, could she come visit me on a tourist visa?

She will be able to visit while you're going through the process, but being from Argentina she will need to apply for a B-2 visa, and when she visits she will have to show that she has ties to Argentina and reasons to go back and not stay illegally in the US. Here's a thread which also applies to CR-1, and a link to the B-2 process.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Timeline

She will be able to visit while you're going through the process, but being from Argentina she will need to apply for a B-2 visa, and when she visits she will have to show that she has ties to Argentina and reasons to go back and not stay illegally in the US. Here's a thread which also applies to CR-1, and a link to the B-2 process.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html

Nice link. She went with me to the US last year. She used a Spanish passport to enter. I don't think there will be a need to get the B-2 visa.

A sponsor or joint sponsor must be domiciled in the US. If abroad, they would need to show that the reason for this is temporary.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

This will NEVER happen, but are there any repercussions for the co-sponsors for other things like if she were to commit a crime? Are there others besides financial burdens? I just want to let potential co-sponsor know everything they are getting into.

No the only repercussions for a joint sponsor is if the beneficiary uses means tested benefits and if the main sponsor (petitioner) cannot pay.

No the CR1 is most than $903. That is just the payments to the USCIS and NVC. There is the cost of the medical (varies by country and doctor), of obtaining documents, mailing of forms (or use of courier services), travel expenses etc...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

A sponsor or joint sponsor must be domiciled in the US. If abroad, they would need to show that the reason for this is temporary.

well there goes that plan! Thanks! Is there an FAQ or very informative thread about co-sponsors. I briefly looked yesterday and didn't find one.

No the only repercussions for a joint sponsor is if the beneficiary uses means tested benefits and if the main sponsor (petitioner) cannot pay.

No the CR1 is most than $903. That is just the payments to the USCIS and NVC. There is the cost of the medical (varies by country and doctor), of obtaining documents, mailing of forms (or use of courier services), travel expenses etc...

Good to know.

Just to be clear, first the financial responsibility would fall on me (even though for now I cannot show proper income) and then afterwards on the co-sponsor?

Thanks again everyone. If I would have created this thread 2 weeks ago you all would have saved me 5 headaches and some anxiety attacks.

Have you read through the I-864 instructions?

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Another question, what kind of complications/problems/anything can arise if we proceed with a K-1 visa, and while we are going through the process, my girlfriend finds a job and the visa/work permit can be obtained through her work?

She recently informed me that an old boss said there were a couple of positions opening up now in LA and she has sent resumes and applied. Can I begin the paperwork (I-129) while she sorts this out and then abandon getting a K-1 if she gets hired or is it if we begin the work towards a K-1, that is the only way she will be able to immigrate?

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.