7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey Guys! Im sure you all have seen this over and over.... but I have many questions unanswered after reading through all my research on the site.

First of all.. I am Mexican and have been in Texas since May 3, 2014. I got married on July 12. I had been so busy with wedding things and adjusting to the changes, that I hadn't really had much time to work on my AOS.

I found on the government page a checklist which I have here with me. Yet I have specific questions on some of them... Im sorry if some seem pretty stupid questions...

*Form I-485 :

- Where it asks my last name....Should it be my new last name (My husband's last name) or the one I have in my passport and with which I got my K1 visa? my name in my birth certificate is Fernanda Cortes but since Im now married... Fernanda Odum?

- A- number... it sounds familiar...am I supposed to have one? see, Ive been away from paper work for 2 months and feel all confused. Is it the Alien case number?

- Expires on: does it refer to the date the Officer wrote on the stamp or the expiration date of my passport?

* Copy of Passport (biographical page and stamp) and copy of visa (no questions here) :) (hahah)

* Electronic copy of I- 94 (HAVE IT)

* Copy of birth certificate:

-Should I send an original rather than a copy? I had 2 sent via mail from mexico... or should I hold on to the originals?

- The birth certificate is in Spanish... I know they state it should be translated but I talked to a friend I made in ciudad Juarez, she was also applying for her K1 visa.. she said she already sent her AOS and did not send it translated. She told me if its in spanish its ok... is it true?

* Copy of marriage Certificate...

-must it be a certified copy?

* G325a... I will do it shortly...

* 2 passport pictures (will take them tomorrow)

* I 693 Medical Exam.

- I had a medical exam taken on Ciudad Juarez on April, 2014. so I think that should do... but I read about vaccination requirements (DS3025)

and I have no clue what the DS3025 IS! I have a sheet they gave me at the clinic in Juarez with a CD, I think of my thorax? The sheet has only typed in my information (name, case number, date and panel physician name and signature) I need a lot of help with this requirement...as you can see I'm totally lost hahha

* I-864 affidavit of support:

-My husband was working in the Postal Service when he applied for my K1 visa. But he resigned 2 moths ago. He is starting his own business. How much can this affect ? any tips or suggestions on how to fill out?

* Copy of NOA2

- is that the letter we got in the mail when we were filing for the K1 visa?

* Im going to apply for the 1-765... will the stuff be sent in the same packet... to the same government office? and if I do what are the requierements? Will they see it as a bad thing that I would want to work given the fact that I came with a K1 visa? will they think wrong?

* I-131... Is it for a specific travel date? or will it allow me to travel if I want... whenever I want before the green card?

OMG THANK YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH!!! the date the immigration officer placed on the stamp on my passport is July 31.. Does that mean I must have sent the paper work by then or married?

Timeline

If you came on K1 the July 31st is your 90days dateline to get married which you have fulfilled.

Meaning only for marriage? how long for the change of status?

Timeline

Meaning only for marriage? how long for the change of status?

from what I researched no, it must be within 90 days..after that I'd be illegal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey Guys! Im sure you all have seen this over and over.... but I have many questions unanswered after reading through all my research on the site.

First of all.. I am Mexican and have been in Texas since May 3, 2014. I got married on July 12. I had been so busy with wedding things and adjusting to the changes, that I hadn't really had much time to work on my AOS.

I found on the government page a checklist which I have here with me. Yet I have specific questions on some of them... Im sorry if some seem pretty stupid questions...

*Form I-485 :

- Where it asks my last name....Should it be my new last name (My husband's last name) or the one I have in my passport and with which I got my K1 visa? my name in my birth certificate is Fernanda Cortes but since Im now married... Fernanda Odum?

- A- number... it sounds familiar...am I supposed to have one? see, Ive been away from paper work for 2 months and feel all confused. Is it the Alien case number?

- Expires on: does it refer to the date the Officer wrote on the stamp or the expiration date of my passport?

Use the name which you will use from now since you married. If you are taking your husband's name after marriage, then use that on everything from now on. Put your maiden name only where it asks for maiden name or other names used.

A# can be found on the I-129F approval notice near the beneficiary's name.

Expires on is the date your I-94 expires.

* Copy of Passport (biographical page and stamp) and copy of visa (no questions here) :) (hahah)

* Electronic copy of I- 94 (HAVE IT)

* Copy of birth certificate:

-Should I send an original rather than a copy? I had 2 sent via mail from mexico... or should I hold on to the originals?

- The birth certificate is in Spanish... I know they state it should be translated but I talked to a friend I made in ciudad Juarez, she was also applying for her K1 visa.. she said she already sent her AOS and did not send it translated. She told me if its in spanish its ok... is it true?

This is not true. Send a copy of your Mexican birth certificate and an English translation of it with this certification on the translated one. Anyone fluent in both languages can do the translation, even you. > http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

* Copy of marriage Certificate...

-must it be a certified copy?

Send a photocopy of the certified marriage certificate you received back from the court after your marriage was registered.

* G325a... I will do it shortly...

* 2 passport pictures (will take them tomorrow)

Send 2 passport photos for each form, so 2 for the I-485, 2 for the I-765 and 2 for the I-131

* I 693 Medical Exam.

- I had a medical exam taken on Ciudad Juarez on April, 2014. so I think that should do... but I read about vaccination requirements (DS3025)

and I have no clue what the DS3025 IS! I have a sheet they gave me at the clinic in Juarez with a CD, I think of my thorax? The sheet has only typed in my information (name, case number, date and panel physician name and signature) I need a lot of help with this requirement...as you can see I'm totally lost hahha

Juarez does not give K-1 applicants vaccinations. You may not have been given a DS-3025 or received a blank one. You need to see a civil surgeon for the missing vaccionations. You do not need a new medical though. If your medical was done within a year of filing for AOS, then it is not required again, just the vaccinations. You need to find a civil surgeon that will do just the vaccinations and not insist on a whole new medical. They can be hard to find, so call around and look in the thread about civil surgeons that don't rip you off to see if any are in your area. > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/231026-civil-surgeons-who-dont-rip-you-off/page-25

You will need the MMR, Tdap and varicella vaccinations, unless you already had chickenpox. It is not flu season, so you won't need that one. Just the 2(MMR and Tdap) are what are required for AOS in your case right now. Take any vaccination records you may have with you when you see the civil surgeon.

* I-864 affidavit of support:

-My husband was working in the Postal Service when he applied for my K1 visa. But he resigned 2 moths ago. He is starting his own business. How much can this affect ? any tips or suggestions on how to fill out?

Does he receive retirement pay or an income currently? Is it enough to meet the income requirement? If not, you will need to find a joint sponsor.

* Copy of NOA2

- is that the letter we got in the mail when we were filing for the K1 visa?

It is the approval notice from the I-129F petition being approved.

* Im going to apply for the 1-765... will the stuff be sent in the same packet... to the same government office? and if I do what are the requierements? Will they see it as a bad thing that I would want to work given the fact that I came with a K1 visa? will they think wrong?

You are a legal alien allowed to work. You just need the authorization while waiting for the green card approval. Of course it is ok.

All the forms are separate and have their separate supporting documents, but they are filed together in one envelope to the same address, the Chicago Lockbox.

* I-131... Is it for a specific travel date? or will it allow me to travel if I want... whenever I want before the green card?

Do not need to choose a date or provide an explanation of why you want/need it. Leave the date and length blank and then hand-write Unknown for those after printing it out.

Supporting docs for the I-765 and I-131 > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/472439-evidence-for-756-and-131/?p=6723671

OMG THANK YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH!!! the date the immigration officer placed on the stamp on my passport is July 31.. Does that mean I must have sent the paper work by then or married?

There is no time limit/deadline in which to file for AOS. As long as you married within 90 days then you are eligible to file based on your approved I-129F petition and fulling the requirements of the K-1 visa. However, you will be out of status and begin to accrue unlawful presence between your I-94 expiring and filing for AOS. Once you file for AOS, you then enter a period of authorized stay while waiting for your green card approval.

You should also check out the example forms here on VJ. They can be helpful > http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thank you so much!!! I will take my time to re-read your answers tomorrow morning! (my brain is semi fried after spending ALL day filling out forms and investigating on the matter)

I appreciate your time AND help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.