christy1127

Education question!

22 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I called both KCC and USCIS this morning and neither of them could give me a firm answer. The first operator asked me what is my highest education and I told her is master degree from US university, she said is fine. The other lady told me it really comes down to the IO.

It all comes down to how you handle the interview. It's like a Job interview. Make sure you are in command.

Lol. I'm really not sure that's the best advice. Or let me put it this way, if you are going to be "in command" during a visa interview you need to be damn sure you have copies of the legal rules to back yourself up. Just in the same way that a cocky person who thinks they know everything but can't back it up won't get a job.

I called both KCC and USCIS this morning and neither of them could give me a firm answer. The first operator asked me what is my highest education and I told her is master degree from US university, she said is fine. The other lady told me it really comes down to the IO.

I am almost 100% sure you will be fine, especially as you are doing AOS and the degrees are US degrees.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Lol. I'm really not sure that's the best advice. Or let me put it this way, if you are going to be "in command" during a visa interview you need to be damn sure you have copies of the legal rules to back yourself up. Just in the same way that a cocky person who thinks they know everything but can't back it up won't get a job.

Yeh I think attitudes like that are always a bad idea. It's like people who are rude to the police always have stories about how the "pigs" "picked on them" for minor infractions. How come they never do that to me?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

If you're doing AOS, you should be fine. But don't do AOS unless your number is reasonably low...

I have read that to mean at least high school degree. A master's degree from a US university should count way more than a high school degree from another country (if only because you know what that person studied and that it's exactly what Americans study). In general anyway, a university degree should prove you're educated enough to find a job and contribute to society.

(Parenthetically, what if you were home-schooled and then went on to go to college and maybe get your PhD? How can that make you not good enough?! I had lots of friends in college, Americans though, that had been home-schooled, so would have had no high school diploma to speak of).

Them saying you don't qualify because of that would be ludicrous, and I doubt they'd do it. Be respectful and nice, and explain your situation if asked specifically for a high school diploma. Explain that you qualified for a bachelor's degree and did well enough to get into a master's program.

That being said, I wish you luck! I was super panicky about finding my (otherwise useless, because who else cares except USCIS) Romanian high school diploma, so I do understand being scared about missing your chance over something stupid...

Born in Romania, been living in the US since 2007 (F1 visa)

F1 visa 2007-2011, 2011-2016 - OPT received August 25, 2014

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number EU30,7xx - Interview estimate: May/June 2015 (?) - Might try to do AOS though it looks like it might be worse this year

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.