christy1127

Education question!

22 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am a DV2015 selectee and my case # is AS38XX. I came to the US to attend high school but I didn't graduate. I kept myself in status and eventually got my BS and just finished grad school (MBA).

I am worry now cause the us gov website states that "selectee must have completed a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to 12 years of elementary and secondary education (high school) in the U.S. "

Am I still qualify with my BS and master degree?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate all your efforts.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Other people know this better than me, but my understanding is they want high school graduation. Some embassies accept university but most want to see high school.

Have you done two years of qualified work experience?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

What do you guys think I should say if the IO ask me during the interview about high school diploma?

I have my BS in business from California state and MBA from a US accredited private university.

Thanks a million guys!

What do you guys think I should say if the IO ask me during the interview about high school diploma?

I have my BS in business from California state and MBA from a US accredited private university.

Thanks a million guys!

Just give him/her copies of your qualifications.... If specifically asked tell the truth - say you didn't complete it but have done higher since...

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Anymore advise?? Thanks!

In theory, the high school requirement is meant to indicate you could gain admission into a US University. You've clearly demonstrated that, however technically you need high school.

It's really going to come down to the immigration officer in the interview. Many will think "University > High School = Visa", maybe another official will be inflexible and decide differently.

I think you stand a very good chance, but it's going to be a nervous time for you like many of us.

Filed: Timeline

I have a GED and currently on my master degree OPT. No two years of qualified work experience. I am super worry right now. :(

I think this is a dicey situation. 9FAM 42.33 N7.2 Education Requirements states:

We interpret the phrase "high school education or its equivalent" to apply only to formal courses of study. Equivalency certificates (such as the G.E.D.) are not acceptable. To qualify, an alien must have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States or a comparable course of study in another country. Evidence might consist of a certificate of completion equivalent to a United States diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued by the person or organization responsible for maintaining such records, which specify the completed course of study

source:http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

This clearly shows G.E.D is not acceptable. However, because you're processing AOS, an issue may not be made of it because most of the IOs who process DV based AOS cases are not too familiar with the exact requirements of DV. Also, the fact that you've gone ahead and completed both undergrad and grad studies in the US works highly in your favor. If all you had was just the GED qualification, that could possibly have been a major issue they would have easily caught at the time of the interview.

Edited by Sm1smom

It's still a grey area because in practice it seems a lot of consulates see the high school requirement as a minimum, and there are a few people who have reported being asked only to show their highest qualification to the interviewing officer - so have received a visa after showing a bachelors or masters degree but not showing high school diploma.

Filed: Timeline

I think this is a dicey situation. 9FAM 42.33 N7.2 Education Requirements states:

source:http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

This clearly shows G.E.D is not acceptable. However, because you're processing AOS, an issue may not be made of it because most of the IOs who process DV based AOS cases are not too familiar with the exact requirements of DV. Also, the fact that you've gone ahead and completed both undergrad and grad studies in the US works highly in your favor. If all you had was just the GED qualification, that could possibly have been a major issue they would have easily caught at the time of the interview.

Same source/link as yours:

9 FAM 42.33 N2 REQUIREMENTS FOR DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT PROGRAM

To qualify under INA 203© (8 U.S.C. 1153©) as a diversity immigrant, the following requirements must be met:

(1) The alien must be a native of, or chargeable to, a diversity country

AND

(2)The alien must have at least a high school education or equivalent.

The key words are "AT LEAST". I understand it as: if you have more than high school, then you qualify.

Any person who qualified with a BA, Master or so because he/she lost her high school diploma or simply did not complete high school? If yes, please let us know how your interview went.

Same source/link as yours:

9 FAM 42.33 N2 REQUIREMENTS FOR DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT PROGRAM

To qualify under INA 203© (8 U.S.C. 1153©) as a diversity immigrant, the following requirements must be met:

(1) The alien must be a native of, or chargeable to, a diversity country

AND

(2)The alien must have at least a high school education or equivalent.

The key words are "AT LEAST". I understand it as: if you have more than high school, then you qualify.

Any person who qualified with a BA, Master or so because he/she lost her high school diploma or simply did not complete high school? If yes, please let us know how your interview went.

You omitted the reference to the rule itself . The correct quote is:-

(2) The alien must have at least a high school education or equivalent (see 9
FAM 42.33 N7); or
So then if you check the rule you can see how they interpret education. It says:-
9 FAM 42.33 N7.1 Definitions
(CT:VISA-910; 10-23-2007)
The Department’s interpretation of the term “high school education or its
equivalent” means successful completion of a:
(1) Twelve-year course of elementary and secondary study in the United
States; or
(2) Formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to
completion of 12 years elementary or secondary education in the United
States. Because a United States high school education is sufficient in itself
to qualify a student to apply for college admission, in order for a foreign
education to be equivalent to a United States education, it should be
sufficient to allow a student to apply for college admission without further
education. Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further
academic study will not be considered equivalent to United States high
school education.
This specifically refers to elementary and secondary education. In practice, most people that go on to further education will have met the requirement, but not always. You can place your focus on the "at least" wording BUT an experienced CO may not see it that way. Some people have shown only higher degrees and been approved, others have been asked for "high school" evidence.

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Or is it really depend on you go on embassy/consulate interview or Adjustment of status in the US?

There is a better chance of getting through without issues if you are doing aos. Adjustment of status for DV cases is relatively rare so COs will not be that aware of the rules, just as Sm1smom stated above.

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.