ArmyVet2010

Husband abandonds wife and daugther while filing I-130

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Thanks for all the answer guys it was what I expected, maybe not what i wanted to hear lol. Sending money to the spouse while waiting for the visa to be approved is something thats expected in the PI also like many parents over there expect their children to support them! ### backwords in my opinion but the Army pays you BAH extra allowance for being married normally over 1000 a month and legally part of that money belongs to the spouse thats why she was able to call his commander and get it. I think is the other way around he migth have enter the marriage looking for money, bc he just have gotten divorce so he was losing the BAH over $1000 and then was expected to pay child support plus allimony another $1200, so marrying her will set him back up some.

But regarding back to the little girl without divorce papers I'm definetly not gona have her here and risk getting in a custody battle. I used and internet website to track his phone number and I believe I know where he stays at or at least where the cell phone number is billed at just in case we ever need it. The ball is in his court so unleash he makes a move we stuck. SIL already planning to go to Malaysia for work. Sucks there no laws in place to protect someone in her situation but got to move on with life no reason to stress about something is out of your control. God Bless!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Guys i did a little brain storming and i just realized why he most likely dont want to send divorce paper, thats because he got a medical discharge and most likely recieving VA benefits as married more $$$ all you need for proof is a marriage certificate. Scumbag not only took advantage of my SIL but us taxpayers from a system that is put in place to help people. So much rage!! Lol sorry for venting in here. On another note the 6 month residency is not a requirement but major reason for denial. Debating on getting a lawyer just to expose him.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hire a lawyer who works has office/contacts in Philippines . He or she will drag this absentee father to court for child support, does not matter where in the world he is.

I can give you an example here. One of my friends who is Turkish got pregnant by a French guy when she was a student in the US. The French guy was also a grad student. But he refused to do anything with the baby and left for France before the baby was born. He never saw his kid. After lots of moping and crying, my friend finally hired a lawyer who contacted her office in Paris and they took him to court. The guy not only pays child support now, but he also paid any back child support he owed the mother.

Think about it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How much is the issue, what would the PI courts award and how much would it cost to get it enforced?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hire a lawyer who works has office/contacts in Philippines . He or she will drag this absentee father to court for child support, does not matter where in the world he is.

I can give you an example here. One of my friends who is Turkish got pregnant by a French guy when she was a student in the US. The French guy was also a grad student. But he refused to do anything with the baby and left for France before the baby was born. He never saw his kid. After lots of moping and crying, my friend finally hired a lawyer who contacted her office in Paris and they took him to court. The guy not only pays child support now, but he also paid any back child support he owed the mother.

Think about it.

Enforcing a French court's decision is much easier in the US since the US has high regards for the French courts.

Enforcing a Philippines court's decision is incredibly difficult since there is a high degree of corruption and improper outside influence.

Not all foreign court orders are given equal consideration in the US because the US recognize that in some countries, the courts are not exactly trustworthy.

And as Boiler pointed out, you did not take into consideration how much a PI court would grant for child support - maybe $200 or $300 versus the cost of hiring a US lawyer to file suit in the jurisdiction where the father lives - $200 or $300/hour. So in practical terms, it would cost more for the lawyer than she can hope to receive on a difficult case to have a US court enforce a PI court order.

Edited by aaron2020

Enforcing a French court's decision is much easier in the US since the US has high regards for the French courts.

Enforcing a Philippines court's decision is incredibly difficult since there is a high degree of corruption and improper outside influence.

Not all foreign court orders are given equal consideration in the US because the US recognize that in some countries, the courts are not exactly trustworthy.

And as Boiler pointed out, you did not take into consideration how much a PI court would grant for child support - maybe $200 or $300 versus the cost of hiring a US lawyer to file suit in the jurisdiction where the father lives - $200 or $300/hour. So in practical terms, it would cost more for the lawyer than she can hope to receive on a difficult case to have a US court enforce a PI court order.

There is also the lack of a treaty to enforce such orders also. Their system will not accept our family court orders, so our system does not accept their's. Also its very rare to hear of child support being paid in the Philippines.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.