TYorke1

Social Security Number issue

6 posts in this topic

Hi all

So today marks 6 weeks since I arrived in the states & I still have not received my SSN despite indicating on the DS260 that I wanted one.

I called the Social Security Administration and the person I spoke to said it can take up to 10 weeks, sometimes even longer but a lot of people on here say you should go and apply in person if you haven't received it within a month. I really need a number asap so I thought I might go to the office tomorrow. Do you guys think this is the right thing to do? I just don't want to wait another 6 weeks and receive nothing.

Does anyone know a number for homeland security that deal with the SSN part of the DS260? I've looked everywhere and can only find the general helpline at the SSA.

Thanks guys!

Yes, go to the office in person and apply. VJ recommends doing this after 3 weeks.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think you should walk into a SSA office near you and try to apply.

Once you have your passport and a copy of your I-94, you should be fine. If you explain your case, they should be able to provide the best advise. But I have a feeling they'll accept a walk-in application. No one benefits from having two copies of the same SS# anyway. I came via K1, so my case is a bit different.

Give it a shot.

05/27/14 - Sent AOS package via USPS05/28/14 - Package received by USCIS06/02/14 - Text and Email NOA1s received06/06/14 - Hard copies of NOA1s received06/10/14 - Biometrics appointment received (for June 24th)06/24/14 - Biometrics completed08/06/14 - SMS/Email notifications of EAD/AP combo card in production08/11/14 - EAP/AP card received.<p>09/13/14 - "Notice of Potential Interview Waiver" received04/13/15 - AOS Approved

I think you should walk into a SSA office near you and try to apply.

Once you have your passport and a copy of your I-94, you should be fine. If you explain your case, they should be able to provide the best advise. But I have a feeling they'll accept a walk-in application. No one benefits from having two copies of the same SS# anyway. I came via K1, so my case is a bit different.

Give it a shot.

The OP came on a IR1/CR1 and has a GC already and was not issued an I-94. The issue is not two copies of the same number but being issued two different SSNs. They are supposed to get the SSN mailed to them based on the information of the DS-260. Sometimes it does not work.

OP: Go to the local SSA office and apply. Do you have the actual GC yet? Is your name on the mailbox? It is possible that the USPS sent your SSC back--this happened to us. If the DS-260 was successful, you can get a printout of the number when you go to the local office.

Dave

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

@ Dave&Roza........ Thanks for the correction.

@TYorke1, apologies if my post was misleading. That's why I added that my case might be different cos i came via K1. But that's the beauty of VJ, someone will definitely get you in the right direction.

All the best.

05/27/14 - Sent AOS package via USPS05/28/14 - Package received by USCIS06/02/14 - Text and Email NOA1s received06/06/14 - Hard copies of NOA1s received06/10/14 - Biometrics appointment received (for June 24th)06/24/14 - Biometrics completed08/06/14 - SMS/Email notifications of EAD/AP combo card in production08/11/14 - EAP/AP card received.<p>09/13/14 - "Notice of Potential Interview Waiver" received04/13/15 - AOS Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from "Moving Here & Your New Life" forum to the Social Security Numbers subforum -- topic is purely about SSN. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.