yskzymy

Divorced shortly after recieving my LPR, would this be any problems when apply for N400?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello all!

I'm getting more frustrated and stressed by the second here.

I have had my green card ever since 10/17/2007, through a marriage. Applied to remove the condition in apprx 07/2009, was approved and had the card in production by 01/20/2010. During this period of time, our marriage fell apart, as I had found out my husband at the time had reconnected w one of his female friends, and was indeed cheating on me right around the christmas time. We tried to work it out for couple weeks, yet nothing really helped. He filed for divorce, wrote down the separation date as 01/30/2010 in regards of our assets, i'm guessing his then girlfriend now wife suggested that. We had our divorce finalized on 06/02/2010. Now i'm trying to apply for the N400 under the 5 year rule. Would my divorce have any negative affects on this process??
He's an citizen through his parents when he was young. I haven't been married ever since, no children either. We sent in all of our proofs back in 2009 to have the condition removed, and i do not have anything with me anymore to prove such bona fide marriage for that long ago. I came here in 1998 to become a J-1 student, got into college to become a F-1 student for 7 years, graduated, had my OPT card valid for a year, dated my then husband through out most of my college years, and decided to get married after graduation. I have always paid my taxes on time ever since the PR status, always had a nice job, and never even had a traffic ticket in my life. I personally think i'm more than qualified to be a citizen now. I just really hope that the OI would see the bigger picture and weight out the good I would do to the country if i was approved :)
I know the dates are pretty close, but there's nothing i could do, and he's indeed married to the woman now. it was one of these things where people just wake up in the morning, and realized they had found the real true love of their lives. It must be nice to be him i guess, yet i still have to go through this lengthy process of being a proud citizen one day hopefully.
Thank you all for your time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to US Citizenship General Discussion, from Introducing our Members~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Based my relative's real experience (my auntie is dealing with hassles now)

She went to the US under IR1 visa, she received her 10yrs GC within a month. She filed divorced and it was finalized within few months after she arrived in Houston because the husband cheated and got STDs. It was 7 years ago, she applied N400 last year, and when she had her interview (she passed the tests), the IO asked for her divorce decree and noticed it was right after she received her 10yrs card, IO told her to submit all bona fide evidences and proofs before, she had NONE (they almost separated right after her arrival. After 2 RFE responses (from her lawyer) USCIS said they would review her GC from scratches without an exact timeline. She's spent thousands for lawyer.

Your case is somehow different from my autie's but to answer your concern, I input this response. I think you would be fine. Good luck to you.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

I think you will be fine. My girlfriend divorce her husband during applying 10 years green card. She still got the 10 years gc because the immigration office never know it. Last year she apply for citizen, she pass it, the never ask about the divorce things. It depends on the officer

<p>06/20/14: N-400 mailed06/23/14: N-400 Delivered06/26/14: I-797 in the mail7/1/14: Fingerprint notification via text and email7/8/14: Fingerprint Letter In the mail7/22/14: Fingerprint Appointment Date7/11/14: Walk-in Fingerprints completed7/24/14: SMS and Email about in-line for interview8/18/2014 receive yellow letter dated8/89/8/2014 interview txt/email9/11/2014 receive interview letter10/14/2014 interview date<p>10/21/2014oath date

I think you will be fine. My girlfriend divorce her husband during applying 10 years green card. She still got the 10 years gc because the immigration office never know it. Last year she apply for citizen, she pass it, the never ask about the divorce things. It depends on the officer

Yes, I believe same thing, it depends on IO perspective.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

You did 7 years of school? Really? Anyway, regarding your question: no you will not have issues, since you'll be filing for a 5 year of continuous residence, not through 3 years of continuous marriage to a US citizen. Al the best!

A PhD can take 7 years.

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Hmm....yeah, I guess each field is different...in our field they highly advised us to do our PhD as a MAXIMUM of 5 years. In our field if you stay longer than that university employers/companies think you were not competitive and just took the easy way for economic reasons. But I guess this view differs from fields to field. They scared the c.r.a.p. out of us, so I quickly did mine in 4 years. LOL

A PhD can take 7 years.

Timeline

Hmm....yeah, I guess each field is different...in our field they highly advised us to do our PhD as a MAXIMUM of 5 years. In our field if you stay longer than that university employers/companies think you were not competitive and just took the easy way for economic reasons. But I guess this view differs from fields to field. They scared the c.r.a.p. out of us, so I quickly did mine in 4 years. LOL

Timeline

Thank you guys for your response!

Well, it is true that different IO could be very different when it comes to the case and person they are reviewing during the interview. I'm usually a pretty brave person, yet I worked too hard and long to get to this point, especially all the emotional ####### I had to go through just so my ex could find his true happiness through an unfaithful relationship and I could find more complication in this process after all these years, but I guess that's just life :)

I am currently in a very happy and stable relationship myself w a natural born citizen, and he is thinking about proposing and being engaged with me soon. I'm thinking maybe it would be "safer" to wait till after we are married. I was also thinking about requesting all my previous evidence filed in 2009 on the I751, just in case they get picky with me on the interview day, at least I would be prepared.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Thank you guys for your response!

Well, it is true that different IO could be very different when it comes to the case and person they are reviewing during the interview. I'm usually a pretty brave person, yet I worked too hard and long to get to this point, especially all the emotional ####### I had to go through just so my ex could find his true happiness through an unfaithful relationship and I could find more complication in this process after all these years, but I guess that's just life :)

I am currently in a very happy and stable relationship myself w a natural born citizen, and he is thinking about proposing and being engaged with me soon. I'm thinking maybe it would be "safer" to wait till after we are married. I was also thinking about requesting all my previous evidence filed in 2009 on the I751, just in case they get picky with me on the interview day, at least I would be prepared.

Timewise, you're qualified to apply for citizenship, if you want to. Getting married to another USC won't make you more so. Be prepared to answer questions about your marriage truthfully and, like you said, bring bonafide evidence. People get divorced all the time, that shouldn't be a problem given you are applying under the 5-year rule. Good luck, pretty sure you'll be fine.

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

I was also thinking about requesting all my previous evidence filed in 2009 on the I751, just in case they get picky with me on the interview day, at least I would be prepared.

So you submitted your one and only copies of everything for the 751?

Hmmm.... Wasn't there ever a note in instructions for INS/DHS forms that said don't submit originals unless asked to? Long live photocopiers!

Perhaps you should get originals all over again from the Clerks offices involved (marriage/divorce etc) and be prepared JUST IN CASE. Be prepared to answer questions about it if the IO wants to know. You never can tell...

Plus no matter what your personal plans today, don't you think you should have all those documents in case you need to present them for other things in the future?

Citizenship Timeline (Dallas office):

N-400 sent: 03/26

NOA back: 04/01

Bio Appointment: 04/21

Inline for I'view: 04/23

Interview scheduled: 07/08

Interview: 08/12

Oath Ceremony: 08/12

Timeline

Well, I have the original marriage license, divorce petition, divorce degree. Credit card bills w both of our names, health insurance card w both of our names, traveling benefits w my work had his name on it as my husband, bank statements w our name n address on. I really can't remember exactly what I sent in anymore, only remember I sent in a lot, I just wanted to be sure to get as many as possible, because I didn't keep all the hallmark cards between us or any of the photos I don't think. Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.