Gizzmondo

Marriage, working for a UK company

8 posts in this topic

Hi

Firstly let me say what a great place to gather information, on which I thought was a minefield.

My situation :

I currently live in the UK - the company I work for has already said I can work remotely for them in the USA, potentially they would open up an office in the USA to accommodate the time difference (currently I would have to be up and working at 4am EST) and allow me to build on said office in the USA and employ local employees - this option wont happen straight away, but more in the future. So I would be working remotely for maybe 6 months, but being paid in the UK to a UK bank account (does anyone know an account that doesn't charge the earth to make withdrawals in the USA? )

My lady is a USA resident, we love each other so very much, soul mates is how we describe and feel about each other. Hoping to get engaged in September when she comes to the UK for a visit, I'm back there in July. If things go as planned we aim to file the marriage license in January, having a ceremony in early spring, the idea in January is to start the process of filing papers to allow me to be with her, live with her and share our lives.

I am after advice on what would be the speediest visa to obtain, what my options would be to allow me to be with her as fast as is possible ?

Thanks in advance

K-1 visa (fiancee)normally 5-6 months process

Thanks for the speedy response, Im still unsure about the whole K-1 process, Ive searched for some guidance

If / When we applied for the K-1 we have 90 Days to get married, do I have to be resident in the USA throughout the process ?

We then apply for the visa adjustment, again do I have to leave or can I be a resident ? Whats the time scale for the adjustment ?

I did read some of the guides, but couldnt locate the answers to my questions

Thanks again

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

With K1 you can not leave the US after your marriage, but when you filed for AOS you can add AP to it so as to be able to go and come back while your Adjustment is ongoing.

I think AP should come within 30-60days after you filled, but the whole Adjustment took us 6-7months.

My opinion is not to get you angry, if it suit you, good, if it does not... Look away!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi

Firstly let me say what a great place to gather information, on which I thought was a minefield.

My situation :

I currently live in the UK - the company I work for has already said I can work remotely for them in the USA, potentially they would open up an office in the USA to accommodate the time difference (currently I would have to be up and working at 4am EST) and allow me to build on said office in the USA and employ local employees - this option wont happen straight away, but more in the future. So I would be working remotely for maybe 6 months, but being paid in the UK to a UK bank account (does anyone know an account that doesn't charge the earth to make withdrawals in the USA? )

My lady is a USA resident, we love each other so very much, soul mates is how we describe and feel about each other. Hoping to get engaged in September when she comes to the UK for a visit, I'm back there in July. If things go as planned we aim to file the marriage license in January, having a ceremony in early spring, the idea in January is to start the process of filing papers to allow me to be with her, live with her and share our lives.

I am after advice on what would be the speediest visa to obtain, what my options would be to allow me to be with her as fast as is possible ?

Thanks in advance

Firstly hello and welcome to the forum!!!.

The two options you have are to either file for the K1 Fiance Visa or the CR1 Spousal Visa.

Both have their pro's and con's but achieve the same outcome.

With the K1 you will be required to get engaged then return to the UK and process your application from there. You will be required to attend an interview at the Consulate in the UK. This process will take about 6 months. Once in the US you are required to get married within 90 days. The biggest problem with the K1 is that you CANNOT work for between 3 - 6 months after you enter on the visa. This is due to needing to adjust your status to that of a permanent resident. This is called AOS (Adjustment Of Status). You must apply and wait until you receive the EAD (Employment Authorization Declaration) which takes a few months and means your stuck at home until the EAD is processed and in your hands.

The alternative is the CR1 Spousal visa. This takes markedly longer at approximately 12 - 15 months. With this visa you actually get married to your partner, Then apply for a spousal visa but the biggest difference is that you apply for your AOS and the Spousal Visa at the same time and are given a Green Card (Permanent Resident Status) as soon as you enter the country and can work almost immediately.

The biggest concern is if you proceed with the faster K1 visa route then you CANNOT be paid from your UK employer until you have the EAD.

Even though your income is from the UK the United States classes it as Foreign Income and subsequently it must be declared on your US taxes. As a K1 visa holder does not have an EAD or Social Security Number (SSN) until you apply and are approved you cannot declare this income on your taxes.

If you are caught working then its grounds for deportation not to mention tax evasion. Its just problems all around and not advised LOL

Hopefully this gives you a little more insight :D

My AOS Journey

11/11/14 - POE

12/12/14 - Married

12/15/14 - AOS/EAD Submitted

12/22/14 - NOA 1

01/13/15 - Biometrics

03/20/15 - Notice Of Potential Interview Waiver Received - 6 Month Delay

09/21/15 - NPIW Expired

10/16/15 - Service Request 1 submitted - Local office past my case

10/17/15 - Service Request Response - Currently being adjudicated, No timeline. Please wait

10/19/15 - Contacted Local Congressman. Request Submitted

11/19/15 - Response from congressman. Currently being adjudicated. Please wait. No Timeline

11/27/15 - Letter from Local Field office requesting missing I-693.

12/21/15 - Infopass Appointment regarding notice - I-693 not required for K1 Visa. Officer stated he would request local officer to contact me

12/22/15 - 1 Year since NOA 1

12/29/15 - Had original K1 I-693 medical form transcribed by US panel doctor and submitted to USCIS.

01/06/16 - Service request 2 submitted

01/19/16 - Interview Appointment Received

02/09/16 - Interview - APPROVED

02/12/16 - 2 Year Green Card In Hand

12/26/17 - ROC Submitted

01/08/18 - ROC NOA1 Recieved

10/06/18 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

01/17/19 - Removal of Conditions - Approved

01/23/19 - Received 10 year Green Card.

My Citizenship Journey

12/06/18 - N400 Submitted

12/18/18 - N400 Biometrics Appointment Received

12/26/18 - Biometrics Complete - Expected completion Feb 2020 (13 Months)

04/28/19 - So far lots of USCIS "nothing has changed" bi weekly status update e-mails.

05/07/19 - Received notification that my N400 interview had been scheduled.

05/08/19 - N400 Interview letter was available to view online.

05/13/19 - Received physical copy of N400 interview letter in mail.

06/14/19 - N400 Interview Passed. Recommended for citizenship.

06/22/19 - N400 Approved

07/24/19 - Oath ceremony scheduled

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

You said your fiancée is a US resident -- do you mean she's a green card holder or are you just saying that she is living in the US (but is a US citizen). If she's not a US citizen, she cannot file a K-1 fiancée visa petition for you.

You will likely get yourself in serious trouble continuing to do your job in the US, even though being paid into your US bank account. US immigration would most likely consider this to be working in the US, especially if your company then plans to use you to open up a US-based office....may not make sense, but it is what it is.

Filed: Timeline

You said your fiancée is a US resident -- do you mean she's a green card holder or are you just saying that she is living in the US (but is a US citizen). If she's not a US citizen, she cannot file a K-1 fiancée visa petition for you.

You will likely get yourself in serious trouble continuing to do your job in the US, even though being paid into your US bank account. US immigration would most likely consider this to be working in the US, especially if your company then plans to use you to open up a US-based office....may not make sense, but it is what it is.

For some reason, can't edit this....meant to say "...even though being paid into your UK bank account".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.