pfroehlich2004

Obtaining Tourist Visa After Voluntarily Giving Up Green Card

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Does anyone here have experience obtaining a tourist visa after having chosen to give up their green card?

I am a USC and my Vietnamese wife is an LPR. However, we only applied for an immigrant visa due to the consulate's repeated refusal to grant her a tourist visa. We live in Vietnam and want to be able to visit the US together from time to time. However, we cannot afford to fly to the states every six months. Therefore, we are considering going to the consulate to turn in her greencard. It seems like doing so should be concrete proof that my wife does not wish to immigrate to the US, but I can't be certain that the next visa officer she encounters will take this view.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Certainly there is no guarantee that the embassy will issue her any visa, B-2 or otherwise.

A green card is not intended to be used as a B-2 visa.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you. That was immensely helpful.

I've never heard of anyone doing that for this particular reason, but in your case it might actually work. It proves that she could immigrate if she wants to, but she doesn't.

Just out of curiosity, what documents did you try presenting so far that they didn't think were sufficient to prove she'd go back? Work documents, property, family ties?

Filed: Timeline

First she can apply to be a re-entry resident, and that covers 2 yrs only

if by then U both are absolutely sure about giving up GC ...take to her

embassy in her country explain she has no desire to live in the US however

family visits with\ in-laws and vacations she would like to do and apply for her

visitors visa then ,there is no guarantee she'll get one , but its highly in her favor

Timeline

I've never heard of anyone doing that for this particular reason, but in your case it might actually work. It proves that she could immigrate if she wants to, but she doesn't.

Just out of curiosity, what documents did you try presenting so far that they didn't think were sufficient to prove she'd go back? Work documents, property, family ties?

My wife has a small business, so we brought her business documents and evidence of assets. I'd expected her to have no problem as she'd already traveled as a tourist to the EU, but after being rejected three times we decided it would be safer to go the immigration route.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, i just returned the greencard and applied for a visitor visa just to visit the in-laws family this summer, and was approved, visa 's issued and now in the process of delivery.

I am Thai ,married to the American husband, now both of us live in China ( my husband teaches for co-program of American University), we applied from the consulate in Shanghai.

I think it's just all about intention, if you can make it clear that you just want to make a visit, not go for another GC ( in case the GC is expired or broken status,like mine) then it's pretty easy.

The thing is , you need to download form 407 from the website,and sign - with other supportive documents :)

wish ya goodluck!

Gev

Timeline

Yes, i just returned the greencard and applied for a visitor visa just to visit the in-laws family this summer, and was approved, visa 's issued and now in the process of delivery.

I am Thai ,married to the American husband, now both of us live in China ( my husband teaches for co-program of American University), we applied from the consulate in Shanghai.

I think it's just all about intention, if you can make it clear that you just want to make a visit, not go for another GC ( in case the GC is expired or broken status,like mine) then it's pretty easy.

The thing is , you need to download form 407 from the website,and sign - with other supportive documents :)

wish ya goodluck!

Gev

Hi Gev,

That's great to hear. I'm curious though, before you got your GC had you ever been refused a visitor's visa? My wife was refused three times, so we're a little paranoid!

Kob Kun Krab,

Patrick

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Gev,

That's great to hear. I'm curious though, before you got your GC had you ever been refused a visitor's visa? My wife was refused three times, so we're a little paranoid!

Kob Kun Krab,

Patrick

Considering that people get family-based green cards after being in the country illegally for years, I don't think you'll have a problem. Your marriage just has to be bonafide.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.