ninadrianna

How to change consulate from Montreal to Vancouver?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi. There are two US consulates in Canada that process K1 visas: Montreal and Vancouver. I live in Vancouver. My fiance is in San Francisco. So, why would they assign Montreal for my interview?? Any ideas on how to change it?

Is buying a plane ticket, travelling to the other side of the country, and taking two days off work, to go to the interview simply another hurdle required to prove how much I love this man?

Thanks for thoughtful insight.

Nina.

what are your first 3 letters of your new case number? VAC?

Then you are in Vancouver. The generic letter generally, almost always, says Montreal because people are lazy and have never changed it.

Only be worried if your first 3 letters are MTL.

~~moved to Canada forum from K1 process and procedures as question is regionally specific~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

It looks like it could be a mistake if you're a k1 , unless Vancouver suddenly is no longer processing them. Odd.

I'd email Montreal and say hey, was this a misfile somewhere? And see if it can get transferred.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

You can't email Montreal :(

http://canada.usembassy.gov/contact/public-inquiry-form.html

this is the only way to contact them.

If the file has left the NVC by Monday and you cannot change the consulate from them, then contact Montreal ASAP asking them to reassign your case to Vancouver.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Everything is done over email in MTL, address is MONTREAL-IV-DV@STATE.GOV

Put your case number in the subject with a note to transfer to Vancouver. If they say no, then your stuck, but I can't imagine them ignoring a request to reduce their workload unless Vancouver isn't processing them. Or you can check directly with Vancouver and see if they can arrange the transfer for you. vancouverk@state.gov

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Oo I looked for that email and couldn't find it!

THANKS for sharing that for the OP!!!

YAY!!

Timeline

I called the NVC. They told me Vancouver is now only processing K3 visas. Which um seems incorrect?

Meanwhile I emailed the Vancouver consulate: they said to ask Montreal to transfer it to them.

And I've also emailed Montreal, and filled out their form on their site for K visas. I haven't heard from them.

Not sure what to do now given that from what I've read Montreal isn't always responding to people. Maybe just go to Montreal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It might take them a bit to reply to you but they are really good at transferring when you live in Vancouver's half of the Country.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

have seen it happen a fair bit here on VJ over the yrs....and others have done what you have done (email) and the case gets tx'd to Van. May even hear about it first from Van,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Montreal may take up to a week or two to respond but they likely will transfer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.