N_ick85

Newbie. Wowzers.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie on here,it seems like its a mine field out there with all these visas etc. so I'm not sure if I have the right place or not. So please tell if I'm wrong. I have just asked my girlfriend in the US to marry me. I live in the UK at present and will be looking to move to the US to be with her, so first of all is this the visa?!

Any help/advice will much appreciated.

Nick

Yes if your girlfriend is your fiancée now, then you will be pursuing the fiancé visa or K-1 visa.

The K-1 visa guide will help you: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

This will also help: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Read the guides, and study the example forms. If you have any questions at all about the process feel free to ask. We are all here to help. Good luck on your journey and welcome to VJ!

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie on here,it seems like its a mine field out there with all these visas etc. so I'm not sure if I have the right place or not. So please tell if I'm wrong. I have just asked my girlfriend in the US to marry me. I live in the UK at present and will be looking to move to the US to be with her, so first of all is this the visa?!

Any help/advice will much appreciated.

Nick

Hi there! Welcome to VJ! Don't worry, moderators will move your thread in a more appropriate forum, if needed.

Just to add to what Zedayn said, is your fiancee-to-be a US citizen? If so, then she can file an I-129f petition for you. And also, you both have to be free to marry and have seen each other within 2 years prior to filing the I-129f.

There are more information on the links (blue header) atop any VJ page. The "guides" like the ones posted above by Zedayn are good enough for you to get the big picture.

All the best! :thumbs:

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Follow the k-1 guides and don't forget to pop into the UK regional forum for more specific advice. :)

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Don't just jump into the K1 route.

A few things to note.

A fiance(e) visa will take between 6 and 11 months from application to POE ( point of entry) into the US.

You will then have to marry your fiancee within 90 days.

At this point you wont be able to work and if you leave the US, you will have to start again.

Then you process AOS (adjustment of status). This is more paperwork and cost ($1,070.00)

You can apply for EAD (employment Authorisation) and AP (Advanced Parole). the cost for these two items are free with AOS.

EAD and AP will come in about 3 months. At this point you can work and leave the US and return.

AOS will complete in about another 2 to 3 months. If all is well you will have a conditional green card for 2 years.

Then there is ROC (removal of conditions). After that you will have your ten year green card. This also costs $$.

Or you can marry your fiancee and apply for a Spousal visa. Your wife would then petition for you using the I130 form. this also generally a cheaper option.

This process can take longer than the K1 I129F route but the upside is when you enter the US at your POE the CBP will stamp your passport with I551 stamp. This is a 1 year temporary greencard until they issue you the real plastic card by mail.

You will be able to work immediately and apply for driving licenses and the such.

You will probably still have to ROC after 2 years.

I dont want to overwhelm you but there are options.

With plenty of people online here to help you.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum -- OP is weighing visa paths. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Welcome to VJ. Feel free to come in and say hi in the UK section of the forum we're a friendly bunch and there's some useful step by step guides :)

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

hi there,

thank you for the replies.

wow, my heads spinning!

I have no idea what is the best route to take. my fiancé is an US citizen. So can she fill out some of the forms too? or do i fill out the k1 as I've read and send her the copy of the 1st pack i make up?

Im aware of the no working situation once we marry which is why I've built up savings to show i can support myself whilst i wait on a working visa? this other route that has been mentioned i130 is this a better route to take? I must admit the thought of not being able to work is dreadful. If i do not follow the ei130 route and wait for the working visa EAD and PA, can i leave the US once these have been applied for to continue woking in the UK? or is it a case once i enter the US and marry thats it i cannot leave?

im so scared at getting something wrong throughout this process! it means so much to get it right any answers to the above will very much appreciated.

Nick

Read this and disregard K-3 and DCF. http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Okay, good, so you have chosen a path. The first step involves the USC sending in a petition (I-129F) and evidence that proves that you are engaged, and once approved, makes you eligible to apply for the visa.

This explains all the steps. http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

The K-1 guide is also linked above. You can also just follow the form instructions carefully, look at uscis.gov for forms and instructions. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thank you for the reply.

I am due to return to see her in august, this is still ok with this process ongoing?

Yes you can visit.

Believe me, there will be plenty of time between petition and visa issuance for several more visits. Looking at a few recent time lines about 11 months.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Timeline

Ok thank you,

new problem well not so much a problem but more of a delay my partner cannot find her birth certificate and has to apply for a new one. she does not have a passport. so we have to wait for that to come through before we can send the pack off, untill then i plan on collecting all the proof we have etc photos, emails, conversations etc to add into the pack. as this will be a few weeks and I'm due out there in august i was thinking would it be best to send everything off from my august visit in the pack too? this will be my third visit this year. i have split each visit into packs with the information i do have from each visit etc.. this sound ok or too much? then obviously start collecting proof etc from that date onwards to prove of our ongoing relationship?? as il be heading back out there in november too.

Nick

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.