johnstonl

Immigrant Fiance, Rental agreement...

22 posts in this topic

You can have people on your tenancy agreement that are listed as an "occupant". When I first came here I had no SS# and no job. My husband was the lease holder and I was added as the occupant. No SS# or job required.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I came to the US as a K1 visa holder and my hubby included me in the lease, they just required us to submit docs like my passport with visa since that's the only doc I had when I entered the US, just expect to have some add'l amount in you billing like water bill and electric bill

.I don't know how it works in your area..

It's best to be up-front with your landlord about your situation; perhaps they can work something out. I was able to work something out with my landlord straight away and she was kind and understanding about it. All she said she needs to do is scan his Visa and Passport. If the landlord isn't understanding about it the best you can do is have a court wedding within her first two weeks there and get a Social Security Card as soon as possible.

Edited by corvusheart

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Here is a thought from one who used to work as an apt manager for a low income complex. Why would that person be denied. When they run the credit and back ground checks. They will come back clean. They have no records in the US. So there is nothing to deny the person on. We used to deal with Russian immigrants all the time. Famly would put in the application we would run the Checks ( They are run in the US only) and nothing would come back so there is no reason to deny them.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

You can have people on your tenancy agreement that are listed as an "occupant". When I first came here I had no SS# and no job. My husband was the lease holder and I was added as the occupant. No SS# or job required.

That sounds great, but I'm afraid it's just not the case in terms of my lease agreement. Everyone over 18 years old must be screened and added to the lease.

Here is a thought from one who used to work as an apt manager for a low income complex. Why would that person be denied. When they run the credit and back ground checks. They will come back clean. They have no records in the US. So there is nothing to deny the person on. We used to deal with Russian immigrants all the time. Famly would put in the application we would run the Checks ( They are run in the US only) and nothing would come back so there is no reason to deny them.

Interesting... I hope it turns out to be the case!

I guess the only other concern is a job/income and rental history. However, we did prove via i134 that I can provide for her, and I've obviously been paying the rent/bills. We could get rental references, but they would be in France and Japan. No English...

Thanks everyone for all your replies! This is a great community!

So I have a bit of an issue that's making me nervous.

My fiance is set to be here on June 18th, we'll be getting married in August.

The house I am currently renting needs every person over the age of 18 to be on the lease, and they will need to be screened. The process includes credit, rental history, proof of employment, etc. All the typical things I suppose.

I'm sure she's going to get denied if we have her apply. Also, I never told me landlord about this because I was nervous about the situation.

Can I be evicted (lawfully) if she is found to be living here without being on the lease? Are there any loopholes because of her visa status?

What should I do? Any advice?

Oh and I'm in Oregon if that makes a difference...

Thanks in advance!

Before assuming you'll be denied, why don't you talk to your landlord asap, about the situation. Worst case, they will tell you no go in which case you are in the same spot you are now. Until your soon to be spouse arrives, there should be nothing different. At best, they will tell you no problem. If the worst scenario occurs, then get busy finding another place.

They might still tell you that it would've been best to bring it up earlier, but so be it. Unless they are extremely unreasonable (which is always possible, but in that case, you don't want to be there anyway), there will likely be a simple solution.

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.