Propofol

Got scammed through marriage, what are the consequences?

43 posts in this topic

Greetings everybody,

I am seeking for an advice in regards to my case.

Actually, I came to USA 3 times before, on the last time I entered the states on B2 visa for a clinical externship and couple of courses and conferences (I am a doctor) and it happened on last November 2013. Actually while I was in the states last time, I got married to a girl whom I already knew for 1 year before that and the marriage papers were signed and done on December 2013. As my wife was a LPR, she petitioned i-130 only for me and it got approved later on March 2014.

Anyway, we had our wedding on February 2014 and actually things went downhill really fast right after the wedding. That happened for 1 reason, those people (Her parents and her) planned on getting a Divorce right after the wedding as they have the old culture of a girl should be a VIRGIN if she is never married, and the girl WAS NOT and all what they did was to cover that up, and at the same time they will get some money from the marriage (As per Arab's marriage culture, the man pays some amount of money and jewelry to the girl before the marriage which I already did and it costed me 35,000$) . Basically, I would say it was a scam.

I have traveled back to Saudi Arabia on March 2014 and ever since her parents called me twice and asked me for the religious Divorce and not the legal divorce but I didn't do anything regarding that. They all blocked me on every sort of contact form, changed all their phone numbers and they are even telling all our shared contacts to not give me any information about them.

Before we dip deeper into this, I had 2 marriage papers (The first is the religious islamic marriage certificate which we do with the presence of a religion man and which gives the marriage its religiousness. The second is the legal marriage certificate from the county which we only did for the USCIS paperworks for the immigration benefits).

At the mean time, me and her are considered married (Legally) as we had a marriage certificate at the county and also she sent that marriage certificate to the USCIS when she petitioned i-130 for me. She, and her parents are not willing to make a legal divorce case against me for many reasons (1- They are not affected by that paper as if they got the religious islamic divorce she can simply marry anyone within the states without doing the legal part and only do the religious part..... 2- They want to keep it as it is so they make a case against me once I am in the states on the next time, so they can win it and get a share of my wealth too).

I have some concerns regarding that case and I really pray that I can find some answers for them:

1- What is the best action to do regarding that legal marriage certificate? They already scammed enough money of me, and they want to take more!

2- What will happen the next time I enter the US and when USCIS see on their system that I am married and have i-130 approved? They wont even believe that I am separated or divorced, and also they will grill me to death and I don't think they might allow me in...correct me if I am wrong...

3- Its causing too much headache for me and I really want to find a solution to get out of this trouble without causing any problem for me on my subsequent entries or visas. I am a doctor and I go once every year for 2-3 months for couple of conferences, courses and some externships which benefits my working experience and benefits me in my country.

4- Also, please give me any other adivce you might think about other than my concerns or regarding the whole situation.

May God bless you all,,,

Thanks

Edited by drhosamhb

If they have the thing about virginity, then why do they have a problem that their own daughter is not when she gets married.

In the US, your religious marriage and legal marriage can all be the same. You get a marriage license, have your marriage how you like, and your religious leader can sign your license, showing that you got married. I am not sure why you did two weddings; that was unnecessary.

I also would not have granted a religious divorce without a legal divorce, personally.

In some states, an Islamic marriage is legal even if it is not connected to the civic data. She cannot marry anyone legally, even though she thinks she can.

You need is a divorce lawyer to help you file divorce. You file for divorce and your wife must respond. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Greetings everybody,

I am seeking for an advice in regards to my case.

Actually, I came to USA 3 times before, on the last time I entered the states on B2 visa for a clinical externship and couple of courses and conferences (I am a doctor) and it happened on last November 2013. Actually while I was in the states last time, I got married to a girl whom I already knew for 1 year before that and the marriage papers were signed and done on December 2013. As my wife was a LPR, she petitioned i-130 only for me and it got approved later on March 2014.

Anyway, we had our wedding on February 2014 and actually things went downhill really fast right after the wedding. That happened for 1 reason, those people (Her parents and her) planned on getting a Divorce right after the wedding as they have the old culture of a girl should be a VIRGIN if she is never married, and the girl WAS NOT and all what they did was to cover that up, and at the same time they will get some money from the marriage (As per Arab's marriage culture, the man pays some amount of money and jewelry to the girl before the marriage which I already did and it costed me 35,000$) . Basically, I would say it was a scam.

I have traveled back to Saudi Arabia on March 2014 and ever since her parents called me twice and asked me for the religious Divorce and not the legal divorce but I didn't do anything regarding that. They all blocked me on every sort of contact form, changed all their phone numbers and they are even telling all our shared contacts to not give me any information about them.

Before we dip deeper into this, I had 2 marriage papers (The first is the religious islamic marriage certificate which we do with the presence of a religion man and which gives the marriage its religiousness. The second is the legal marriage certificate from the county which we only did for the USCIS paperworks for the immigration benefits).

At the mean time, me and her are considered married (Legally) as we had a marriage certificate at the county and also she sent that marriage certificate to the USCIS when she petitioned i-130 for me. She, and her parents are not willing to make a legal divorce case against me for many reasons (1- They are not affected by that paper as if they got the religious islamic divorce she can simply marry anyone within the states without doing the legal part and only do the religious part..... 2- They want to keep it as it is so they make a case against me once I am in the states on the next time, so they can win it and get a share of my wealth too).

I have some concerns regarding that case and I really pray that I can find some answers for them:

1- What is the best action to do regarding that legal marriage certificate? They already scammed enough money of me, and they want to take more!

2- What will happen the next time I enter the US and when USCIS see on their system that I am married and have i-130 approved? They wont even believe that I am separated or divorced, and also they will grill me to death and I don't think they might allow me in...correct me if I am wrong...

3- Its causing too much headache for me and I really want to find a solution to get out of this trouble without causing any problem for me on my subsequent entries or visas. I am a doctor and I go once every year for 2-3 months for couple of conferences, courses and some externships which benefits my working experience and benefits me in my country.

4- Also, please give me any other adivce you might think about other than my concerns or regarding the whole situation.

May God bless you all,,,

Thanks

Did they just want her to marry you because of the dowry? But then isn't the religious marriage enough for that? This is confusing.

Since you shown immigration intent with the approved petition, I believe you need to document your trips to the US very well and carry with you evidence as in you're going to respect your entry visa conditions and leave when you're supposed to. Expect secondary inspection often.

A country of Immigrants, that hates new Immigrants... Maybe if education was a right and NOT a luxury, it would be different.

Hi! Sorry to hear this.. :(

I believe you should hire a lawyer!That's the only option you have..To seek REAL answers

Zach, thank you very much for your kind words...I just had to go through it... and yeah I am thinking about hiring a lawyer but I dont know who or where? Because simply I am outside the states for the time being...and definitely I will hire one once I am again in the states on this December...

If they have the thing about virginity, then why do they have a problem that their own daughter is not when she gets married.

In the US, your religious marriage and legal marriage can all be the same. You get a marriage license, have your marriage how you like, and your religious leader can sign your license, showing that you got married. I am not sure why you did two weddings; that was unnecessary.

I also would not have granted a religious divorce without a legal divorce, personally.

In some states, an Islamic marriage is legal even if it is not connected to the civic data. She cannot marry anyone legally, even though she thinks she can.

You need is a divorce lawyer to help you file divorce. You file for divorce and your wife must respond. Good luck.

Thanks Harpa for your valued information I really appreciate your response.

Anyway, they had a problem before the whole marriage with that, and in order to cover it up they wanted their daughter to be a divorcee (As simple as that) and at the same time, as I previously explained, an amount of money on top of that will not harm them. So basically they just achieved both their goals.

For the second line, well, we got the marriage license, but the islamic marriage certificate has some other details which cant be written down on the legal marriage certificate (Includes the jewleries, the paid money, and some other conditions). We didn't have 2 weddings though, we only had one wedding party. The religious ceremony was done and held in their home there and then we went to the county to do the papers.

They wanted it all to look like true, and once they got everything, after the wedding, after I spent a 2 weeks with her in the Cosmopolitan hotel in Las Vegas, and when I went back to Denver she just left me and went to her parents home and then the 3 of them asked for the divorce.

Oh by the way, I didn't plan to overstay or anything, and I wasn't planning to stay in the US. After my marriage I was planning to just stay till March (as intended) and then leave back to my country (which actually happened).

Well, you kinda raised a question with what you mentioned, WHAT will happen if I went to a court here in Saudi Arabia and kinda made the divorce and got a Divorce Decree? Will that void my legal marriage in the US? I mean, will that be suffice for the CBP to show that I am already divorced and such? And even when it comes to my wife, will that divorce decree will be suffice to break the marriage in the states and void any case she would hold against me?

I have consulted a lawyer already, but that lawyer is their FAMILY's friend and I really doubt in his answer...he just told me that I can get a divorce decree from Saudi Arabia, get it translated and then attested and no body can make any claim against me or such when I go to the states.

Again, thanks for your kind reply, I am in debt :)

Did they just want her to marry you because of the dowry? But then isn't the religious marriage enough for that? This is confusing.

Since you shown immigration intent with the approved petition, I believe you need to document your trips to the US very well and carry with you evidence as in you're going to respect your entry visa conditions and leave when you're supposed to. Expect secondary inspection often.

Yes, just because of that...What else can explain their request from me to Divorce her right after our honeymoon? And they did everything to me just to show me that it is genuine and in good faith...

What else can explain their attitude? Let me clarify abit more, that happened right after they got their hands on the Wedding's video DVD and sent it to their home country Iraq...... And the dad told me that clearly though, that he did this cuz he wants his daughter to marry her cousin in Iraq and he cant do that if she is not virgin...but he can do it if she is a divorcee...

He also threatened me to go to the court and file a divorce against me and get 50% of my wealth or even more... And he will file it once I come back to USA...

Well, I have very strong ties to Saudi Arabia, I am hired by 2 hospitals, I have 2 jobs, I am getting paid very high, I get letters from both my employers that I am on vacation for educational and scientific purposes, both letters contain my return date, I have return ticket always, and I have properties and a small business here too.

I didnt overstay any of my 3 entries to the states, and I was always authorized to stay 6 months. The first time I stayed for 10 days (Only to attend 2 conferences in Texas). The second time was 1 month (2 Conferences and 1 course then I had the remaining of my vacation in California). The third time was 5 months (3 months for externship and 2 surgical conferences and 1.5 months as vacation).

I wouldn't bother with secondary inspection though, its not a problem. But to deny me entry is the problem.

Thanks again for your reply :) I appreciate it.

Well, my point in all of this is, I don't want to be harmed more than what happened already. And I know no matter what I do, I wont get any benefit and it will cause more headache to me. So I am just letting this go and focusing on my career and future, I can make what I already lost in a very short time.

I just don't want to get embarrassed through a denied entry to the States for example, or to get a case filed against me and drive me to more financial or emotional losses.

If anybody knows a good Lawyer in these regards please share it with me, I will be thankful and grateful for that.

Dude just get a divorce what can a man in Iran do to U..I am confused about the virginity part

seem like that concern should be on your part.....Trying to enter the US in the future U have to

be honest that U R married and petitioned for (it will be in their system) I don't know if U will be

allowed to enter , but U can afford to contact a a US atty from there since U have money. As to

the money U paid, here in the West it can come off as a Dowry or as payment for a business

marriage by a well to do person...so contact an atty beore trying to come back or the Embassy

in your country....good luck

Edited by Jawaree

Why are you asking a lawyer who is her family's friends?? That's the LAST thing you want! He can backbite any moment (or already chewing on you). Get a lawyer who is completely independent, does not know each partner. Honestly, I don't know if your divorce certificate back in Saudi would be recognized in the US when one married in the US. I wonder if you can consult a US lawyer and check after this. That would be both the easiest, and the cheapest. Meanwhile, I wonder if you could get in contact with USCIS and tell them that you were applying with your wife to change your status, but things are becoming rocky with your wife (you don't have to mention all the details that you mention here!!!) and thus, you would not like to continue the process. I know the petitioner can withdraw a petition, but I wonder if the "beneficiary" could also indicate somehow to USCIS that they themselves are no longer interested, or will just USCIS tell them that the petitioner needs to withdraw the application. Although, next time you come to the US (if they let you in) start filling out papers for divorce. All the best!!! So sorry to hear this, you are definitely in a tough situation!! And gosh, you spent $35000 on jewelry??? Can I marry you? ;) Just kidding! But that's a lot of money!!!! I wonder if you could demand that back somehow? Or, simply have her return the jewelries to you and you can either resell them, or await for the real lady who will fully deserve it. :/ Good luck!

I'm no accountant but it sounds to me like taking into consideration your Vegas honeymoon you pretty much paid more for your i130 visa than anyone I have run across on visa journeys. Get as far from this woman and her family as you can! your a doctor and I would think that puts you at the top of the dating food chain :)

LOL Hennagirl!! That's a good one! I was going to first post to tell him to drop that woman like a bad habit...but yours is way better...

I'm no accountant but it sounds to me like taking into consideration your Vegas honeymoon you pretty much paid more for your i130 visa than anyone I have run across on visa journeys. Get as far from this woman and her family as you can! your a doctor and I would think that puts you at the top of the dating food chain :)

You're a man. Divorce laws in Saudi Arabia are on your side.

For her to divorce you in the U.S. would probably take three months (to be sure she isn't pregnant). You want to be the one to divorce (and lying about her virginity should be sufficient) because you don't want her to walk into a U.S. court with your signature on a nikah saying you'll give her however much money if you divorce her - not that it's guaranteed, but there's no way to know what a judge will do.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

If you can afford, I would just walk away and seek a good divorce attorney. He should have it through with her consent in a couple weeks, couple months max.

You can start with yelp if your searching for one: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=divorce+lawyer&find_loc=Beverly+Hills%2C+CA

On the other side, you could always file for an annulment, and sue their "posteriors" due to fraud and try to get your money back. Assuming you have evidence she just married you to then marry another.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.