PBJ

Expecting denial, GOT APPROVED

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations and welcome to sunny Southern California!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Congratulations and welcome to sunny Southern California!

Thank you!

Today mostly sounds like this:

I surprised her with a proposal in Los Angeles, and this is how it went down!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You bet!

I'm sure everything is awesome after that bit of great news.

ETA: looking forward to you educating us about 'police cautions.'

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

I did promise a conclusion to my situation, if only for the permanent record and to sate any of your curiosities, so here goes.

Quick review of me: I am a UK citizen and K1 beneficiary via London. I have two arrests from 12 years ago resulting in UK police cautions - including one for controlled substance possession - and I was also potentially liable for misrepresentation due to travelling to the States on multiple occasions under the visa waiver programme. I have now completed interview stage and was approved, despite the above concerns, hence I feel there's plenty about my situation that may prove useful to others experiencing similar circumstances.

Firstly, its worth knowing that I, like many others in this complex and drawn-out visa process, spent hours/days/weeks trawling websites and forums, sponging up information and advice in a desperate attempt to answer one fundamental question: will my historic arrests, cautions and possible misrepresentation render me inadmissible to the United States and hence destroy my immediate dreams of happiness and new life with my fiancé? The answer is of course no, as is demonstrated by my approval.

In gleaming so much from the internet, and feeling painfully discouraged by much of it, I had inadvertently created a whole new mindset of stress, a maelstrom of self-serving worry and doubt and frustration that proved emotionally damaging as much as it was pointless. As I trawled through info pages, lawyer blogs, forums and random commentary, it was clear that finding accurate and enlightening material amongst all the speculation and opinion was as tasking as getting the visa in the first place. The internet is a truly powerful resource, and whilst brilliantly democratic in its constituent parts, it is also prone to misdirection for any researcher. The point being: do not believe everything you read! Stick to the facts presented by official organisations, learn the wisdom from legal professionals, and go light on the opinion and conjecture and sheer guessing which makes up the rest of the noise! Its not that this stuff is inherently wrong, just that it'll create a swirling noise in your mind making it difficult to see the wood for the trees. You have to be able to deduce the facts, whilst trying to keep your judgement from your emotion. In these matters, worry is not your friend, but totally understandable.

What i'm about to present here is the facts as I see them regarding police cautions, together with some anecdotal evidence based on my experience of completing this process. I did seek legal counsel prior to my interview, and whilst some of this guidance is included, you should not interpret this as legal advice. There is no replacement for talking to a real and experienced lawyer on these matters.

Edited by PBJ

Really well written post. And congratulations, by the way.

I have a question if you don't mind. You say you were asked a few simple, additional questions. So without being rude, did the CO address the cautions?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

Really well written post. And congratulations, by the way.

I have a question if you don't mind. You say you were asked a few simple, additional questions. So without being rude, did the CO address the cautions?

Thank you!

Yes, the additional questions related to the controlled substance arrest. I was asked to explain the incident, whether I was detained for any length of time, I was asked if I knew what the substance was, and whether I had ever otherwise been involved with drugs.

I was very surprised that the questions were so straightforward, although perhaps they appear that way since I was prepared for much more thorough line of interrogation. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence around suggesting that this would indeed be the case.

I would like to think the CO used his skill and experience to quickly measure my character and applied a reasonable level of discretion to his swift judgement, but I can't say for sure.

Upon reflection, I think one of the smartest things I did in preparation was to keep my emotions distinguishable from my reason. I was better able to see things for what they are. Yes it was a stressful time of great uncertainty, but I concentrated on the facts. Yes I sometimes felt hard done by, like our love was being unfairly punished, but thats not the purpose of immigration rules so I had to get over it. Yes I spent a long time regretting my mistakes, chastising a younger and more foolish version of myself, but hey thats life and the hardest lessons are sometimes the best ones in the end.

Well done then. It sounds like you are on your way to California. I hope your life there will be long and happy. :)

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

Congratulations on your approval!

Absolutely delighted for you and your fiancé!

You had a slightly tricky/unusual situation (and I am not meaning that in a bad way at all) however you didn't panic and remained calm and knew what you had to do.

It was very admirable.

Congrats again, and good luck for the future.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Congrats!!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Congratulations on your approval!

Absolutely delighted for you and your fiancé!

You had a slightly tricky/unusual situation (and I am not meaning that in a bad way at all) however you didn't panic and remained calm and knew what you had to do.

It was very admirable.

Congrats again, and good luck for the future.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm not sure I can agree about remaining calm, but I did try not to flood this place with my mania.

Seeing the 'ISSUED' screen update on CEAC today was just a dream. Possibly the best screen i've ever seen.

post-167016-0-30602400-1402324563_thumb.jpg

So happy for you and your lady! Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful trip over and enjoy California!

Also, cheers on the well-written posts. They will surely come in handy for many people in the future.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.