Kaptan

DS-260 question about secondary education

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi,

Regarding the education section of the DS-260, is it necessary to provide a document such as a diploma or transcript for EACH school/level completed, or would the most recent/highest one be sufficient?

The highest level degree I have obtained is a master's and I do have my original diploma for it. I also have official transcripts in English pertaining to my bachelor's degree. However, I do not believe I have my high school diploma anymore. Should I contact my high school to obtain a duplicate copy or some other kind of proof? Or would it perhaps not be a big deal since I would be providing documents pertaining to my bachelor's and master's anyway? Not sure if they would really look for proof that I finished high school if I am already able to prove higher levels of education.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi,

Regarding the education section of the DS-260, is it necessary to provide a document such as a diploma or transcript for EACH school/level completed, or would the most recent/highest one be sufficient?

The highest level degree I have obtained is a master's and I do have my original diploma for it. I also have official transcripts in English pertaining to my bachelor's degree. However, I do not believe I have my high school diploma anymore. Should I contact my high school to obtain a duplicate copy or some other kind of proof? Or would it perhaps not be a big deal since I would be providing documents pertaining to my bachelor's and master's anyway? Not sure if they would really look for proof that I finished high school if I am already able to prove higher levels of education.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

This seems very embassy dependent, and even officer dependent. Some only want to see the highest qualification obtained, some only want to see the high school diploma and don't care about further study, and some (like the guy who interviewed me) wanted to see both my high school diploma and my highest degree (masters). So it is best to get hold of a copy of your high school diploma, in case you get one of those as your interviewing officer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Without the original of your high school diploma, you will be denied if you chose to qualify on education.

I'm not an official or an attorney!

Its all about a guess work...

I'm just a DVHOLIC :)

Thanks for all your feedback. In that case, I'd better get to work finding my dusty old diploma or obtaining a duplicate copy from my high school, just in case.

Yeah, the thing about this process is: it is the easiest way in the world to get an immigrant visa (if you qualify obviously), but you need to be sure all your ducks are in a row. The golden rules are (1) ensure that you have read and followed all instructions (2) better safe than sorry when it comes to proving eligibility requirements.

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi Mario,

Really? It has been such a long time that I cannot remember whether the university kept my high school diploma or not. I will take your word for it. In that case, it might be necessary for me to approach my high school for a duplicate diploma (if possible) or a letter confirming my attendance and graduation at the very least.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.