morpheus1234

Shipping G.C from the US to my origin country - what service to use?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you are planning to move back to your home country permanently? If that's the case you will have to give up your green card. Green cards are for living in the US, not for living abroad in your home country.

Hi Guys,

I received my GC, but came back to to my origin country (planning to move permanently soon) and need to ship the GC to my origin country.

What is the most 1.reliable 2.cheap way to do that?

Thank you!

you are planning to move back to your home country permanently? If that's the case you will have to give up your green card. Green cards are for living in the US, not for living abroad in your home country.

Because of the DV process, it's quite common for someone to activate their green card by entering on an immigrant visa, going back home to wrap things up, and then move across to the US permanently some months later.

Morpheus, firstly you don't need to ship it over if you have someone to keep it safe till you get back - your immigrant visa when stamped for entry becomes a temporary green card for a year and you can use that for re-entry into the US. If you do want the GC nevertheless before you return, reputable courier company like DHL or FedEx would be the way to go. (You are less interested in cheap than you are reliable. Do you know what the fee for replacing a lost green card is?)

Edited by SusieQQQ

I meant moving back to the US permanently.

Because of the DV process, it's quite common for someone to activate their green card by entering on an immigrant visa, going back home to wrap things up, and then move across to the US permanently some months later.

Morpheus, firstly you don't need to ship it over if you have someone to keep it safe till you get back - your immigrant visa when stamped for entry becomes a temporary green card for a year and you can use that for re-entry into the US. If you do want the GC nevertheless before you return, reputable courier company like DHL or FedEx would be the way to go. (You are less interested in cheap than you are reliable. Do you know what the fee for replacing a lost green card is?)

Thanks!

BTW, what is the fee?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Oh OK!. If you decide to have it shipped just make sure it's with a reputable company, if a green card is lost it costs a lot to get it replaced. Best of luck!

Thanks!

BTW, what is the fee?

There is no way for any of us to tell you the fee, you will have to call to find out how much it is

Thanks!

BTW, what is the fee?

No clue, depends where you are. Get a quote from them. Usually easier, safer and cheaper to leave it with the recipient in the US (who presumably you trust to receive it in the first place) and pick it up when you get back.

No clue, depends where you are. Get a quote from them. Usually easier, safer and cheaper to leave it with the recipient in the US (who presumably you trust to receive it in the first place) and pick it up when you get back.

Problem is - US is big and when I'll get back, I will not necessarily get back to the same place, but I guess it still safer to ship it within the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.