Lights

K1 Visa approved, moving things just before POE?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have an approved K1 Visa and I am planning my POE. I've been looking for moving companies and some give various rates, like if I give them more time (2 weeks versus a few days) or if I move during the week or in the middle of the month versus end of month.

If I plan my POE on at the end of next month, but want to send my things through earlier for a better rate (mid month/during the week and it'll take a week or two to get to where I am), would I be allowed to do that? I'm thinking like 2 weeks max before my POE?

Thanks!

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Some do and will place your belongings in storage for a certain period of time as long as you have an intended move in date at your new address. Now with that said, I am not sure about international moves but I don't see why it would be any different other than a customs issue perhaps. Best to call a few companies and ask.

There is always PODS. http://www.pods.com/ Again. not sure about international moves or even if they exist up there, but they leave a big container in your driveway and you pack it at your leisure and then place it in storage until given a move in date. Then they deliver it to the new address and you unpack at your leisure.

Edited by Texasav8r

02/28/2014 - I-129f Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center / Я-129F Принято и направляется в сервисный центр Техаса

03/04/2014 - NOA1 Notice Date / NOA1 Уведомление Дата

03/05/2014 - NOA1 Received via Email & Text / NOA1 полученных через электронную почту и текст

03/05/2014 - Check Cashed by TSC / Чек обналичены TSC

03/06/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed / Регистрационный номер иностранца Изменен

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1 Hard Copy / Поступило NOA1 Печатная

10/09/2014 - NOA2 Received via Email & Text / NOA2 редакцию по электронной почте и текста (219 DAYS!!)

10/14/2014 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy / Поступила NOA2 Жесткий диск

10/16/2014 - Case Shipped to NVC / Дело Отгружено NVC

10/23/2014 - Case Received by NVC / Дело Поступило NVC

10/24/2014 - Case Number Assigned by NVC / Номер дела, присвоенный NVC

10/27/2014 - Case Left NVC for Moscow Consulate / Дело Левый NVC для Москва консульства

10/29/2014 - Moscow Consulate Received Case and Changed Status to Ready / Москва Консульство получил случай и изменила статус Готов

11/24/2014 - Medical Exam / Медицинский экзамен

11/26/2014 - K-1 Interview (Approved!!) / K-1 Интервью (утвержденный!!)

event.png

I think you'll find the best answers in the Canada forum to be honest.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread moved from K-1 Case Progress subforum to the Canadian regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

You won't be able to move your belongings to the US before you yourself have crossed the border with your K-1 visa. The moving company is required to provide documented proof that the contents of any shipment they have belong to someone who is legally living or allowed to live in the US. Until you use your K-1 you have no legal presence in the US, so your belongings are not allowed to be there either.

You could have the movers pick up your belongings a few days before you intend to cross the border yourself and they will hold them in storage until you send them back a photocopy of the validated K-1 visa. They also used to require a copy of the I-94 but with the electronic I-94s now a days I am not sure what they do about that.

Or, you could do what I did. I had everything ready and gave the key to my apartment to one of my friends who met the moving company there 2 days after I had crossed the border and had arrived at my new home in the US. I faxed the stamped K-1 visa and the I-94 back to the moving company. They scheduled their arrival the following week and they informed me that they did need to show documentation for the 3 loads they had on the van: mine as a K-1; someone relocating on a work visa, and a returning US citizen. If they had not had that proof they would not have been allowed to cross the border until they had unloaded the undocumented items.

Here is a link to the official information about moving belongings to the US - you are allowed to bring them with you or after you (up to 10 years afterwards, in fact) but they cannot precede you:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/354/kw/trade

The moving company should have all of the forms you need to complete to satisfy US customs requirements. You just need to provide proof that you have legal presence in the US.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

You won't be able to move your belongings to the US before you yourself have crossed the border with your K-1 visa. The moving company is required to provide documented proof that the contents of any shipment they have belong to someone who is legally living or allowed to live in the US. Until you use your K-1 you have no legal presence in the US, so your belongings are not allowed to be there either.

You could have the movers pick up your belongings a few days before you intend to cross the border yourself and they will hold them in storage until you send them back a photocopy of the validated K-1 visa. They also used to require a copy of the I-94 but with the electronic I-94s now a days I am not sure what they do about that.

Or, you could do what I did. I had everything ready and gave the key to my apartment to one of my friends who met the moving company there 2 days after I had crossed the border and had arrived at my new home in the US. I faxed the stamped K-1 visa and the I-94 back to the moving company. They scheduled their arrival the following week and they informed me that they did need to show documentation for the 3 loads they had on the van: mine as a K-1; someone relocating on a work visa, and a returning US citizen. If they had not had that proof they would not have been allowed to cross the border until they had unloaded the undocumented items.

Here is a link to the official information about moving belongings to the US - you are allowed to bring them with you or after you (up to 10 years afterwards, in fact) but they cannot precede you:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/354/kw/trade

The moving company should have all of the forms you need to complete to satisfy US customs requirements. You just need to provide proof that you have legal presence in the US.

Great, thanks so much!

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.