sparkles_

name change after marriage?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

To those ladies who did change their names after marrying a MENA man, which of the 2-3 last names did you go with? Ex: You man is Mustafa Ahmed Ali Amir.....did you change to Ahmed or Amir?? Silly example but it works. Thanks!

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

What is the legal name in USA after immigration? Whatever is the last name... use that. However, I'm totally NOT doing that. My fiance is **** Ali Moustafa and I will NOT have Moustafa as my last name. Ugh... "Hey, isn't that from the Lion King?" *face palm* I think we'll do a legal name change for him when we can and then I'll change mine to match his. Ali is nice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am saying if we got married outside the US, and I wanted to change it for example when I came back. My fiance's third last name is Grace and I totally love it.....4th one is Faragallah and honestly, I teach small children so having them stumble around with that one would end in me being called Ms. F which I just can't handle as a teacher, LOL.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

I am saying if we got married outside the US, and I wanted to change it for example when I came back. My fiance's third last name is Grace and I totally love it.....4th one is Faragallah and honestly, I teach small children so having them stumble around with that one would end in me being called Ms. F which I just can't handle as a teacher, LOL.

Then I'd suggest you choose whichever name you like, but try to make sure that you fill out his immigration paperwork with that as his legal last name when you file your petition. Attach a letter explaining his full name and how you prefer it in the documents maybe? I really don't think there is a "right" answer on this, but someone advised us to use the last name on his passport, which happens to be Moustafa even though his family identifies more with his third name, Elsayed. I realized later that that advice wasn't important and I wish I'd just gone with Elsayed from the beginning.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband only has one last year, but I haven't changed it. Yet. We'll see-- if we have kids, I think I'll try to change it.

I wish I didn't feel the need to be so secretive about my name here. I love the story of my husband's last name, but it's not common. Back when people had to register and officially give a last name to be recorded in the...1950s? 1960s? It might have been earlier. In any case, my husband's grandfather was known locally by a physical feature... sort of like, hey Sideburn-man! Or "yo beard-guy!" When they wrote down his name officially, rather than use "ben (great grandfather's name)," they wrote down "Sideburn-man." So-- it's a completely made up name. I love it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Post returned to thread minus removed quoted section:

Like I said before, he doesn't relate to that name. He has a total of seven names on his passport and that one just happens to be at the end. He has another legal name that is NOT included on his passport, and he identifies with his second and third name from a familial point of view. He doesn't want to be Mr. Moustafa and we just laugh about it together because neither one of us likes it.

The "poor guy" adores kids and loves OUR children as though they were biologically his own.

In regard to the other implications, refer to the private message I sent.

One post removed for dismissive, antagonistic language. Any similar posting behavior will result in administrative action.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband had 4 names. Ahmed M. A. A. When we filed back in the day it just became A.M.A on his paperwork which dropped the 2nd A (which was his grandfathers name) I knew that one day he would legally change his entire name so I never took his name. In 2012 he became a US Citizen and changed his name completely from what he was born with to just Adam Y. I still haven't changed my last name to his and we are fine with that. When we have a child one day she/he will have his last name & we are both fine with that and at that point I will decide what I want to do.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.