szym

DS 260 - Questions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

I know that DS-260 will be available for us on May 19th, but looking on the screenshots of DS-260 sample I have few questions.

I have a high CN so I need to prepare all documents precisely so (if I will get the chance to be on interview) my visa will be issued quickly (no AP) before Sept. 30th.

1. My passport has expired. I have to do a new one. It will take about 30 days in my country to get a new passport, so I was thinking about filling out the DS-260 forms after I get a new passport. Would it be a problem (sending DS-260 30days later)? Will it be beter to select some other travel document (for example ID from my country instead of passport?)

2. I have a 3-year-old baby. The baby does not have any ID. My country will issue only temporary ID/passport (because of low age) valid only for 1 year, so it will expire before the interview (I can only hope for interview in August or September 2015). What should I do in this case? Use birth certificate as travel document?

3. We are expecting another baby at the end of this summer, so the baby will be born after filing DS-260 and before interview. How to resolve this situation? Write something extra in DS-260 forms (that my wife is currently pregnant)?

4. I was in USA twice on a J1 visa. It was long time ago. When I was issued the second J1 visa, the first one was "cancelled without prejudice" (I have a large stamp on this visa in my passport). I thought it's nothing wrong (normaln procedure), but when I saw a question on DS-260: "Have any of your U.S. visas ever been cancelled or revoked" I had a second thought... Is "cancelled without prejudice" a normal procedure?

5. Somebody wrote that the faster you file DS-260 the sooner you will have your interview if your CN becomes current. Personally I don't think it is true, but if anybody has someting to say about it, than feel free to share your opinion...

1. My passport has expired. I have to do a new one. It will take about 30 days in my country to get a new passport, so I was thinking about filling out the DS-260 forms after I get a new passport. Would it be a problem (sending DS-260 30days later)? Will it be beter to select some other travel document (for example ID from my country instead of passport?)

** if you have a high number a month's delay in submitting the forms will make absolutely no difference. Even if you have a low one it will barely matter.

2. I have a 3-year-old baby. The baby does not have any ID. My country will issue only temporary ID/passport (because of low age) valid only for 1 year, so it will expire before the interview (I can only hope for interview in August or September 2015). What should I do in this case? Use birth certificate as travel document?

** you will need to find out how this is usually dealt with in your country

3. We are expecting another baby at the end of this summer, so the baby will be born after filing DS-260 and before interview. How to resolve this situation? Write something extra in DS-260 forms (that my wife is currently pregnant)?

** after the baby is born send a DS260 through for the baby, as well as updated ones for you and your wife (showing the baby as a new dependent)

4. I was in USA twice on a J1 visa. It was long time ago. When I was issued the second J1 visa, the first one was "cancelled without prejudice" (I have a large stamp on this visa in my passport). I thought it's nothing wrong (normaln procedure), but when I saw a question on DS-260: "Have any of your U.S. visas ever been cancelled or revoked" I had a second thought... Is "cancelled without prejudice" a normal procedure?

** yes it's a normal procedure, don't worry about it. (I had one too)

5. Somebody wrote that the faster you file DS-260 the sooner you will have your interview if your CN becomes current. Personally I don't think it is true, but if anybody has someting to say about it, than feel free to share your opinion...

** Untrue.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hey,

i have a similar situation with the passport expiry thing.. except my passport is expiring in 2018 but i need to convert it to Machine Readable Passport (MRP) which takes about 3 to 4 months if i have to send it back to Nepal from Sweden via Danish Embassy. so i was thinking of filling up the form now rather than wait for my new passport since it takes so much time. But the real problem is that the informations on my passport might change after the MRP conversion... like passport number or expiry date but im not sure if these changes will occur. So will this affect the process at later dates like interviews and such?

Hey,

i have a similar situation with the passport expiry thing.. except my passport is expiring in 2018 but i need to convert it to Machine Readable Passport (MRP) which takes about 3 to 4 months if i have to send it back to Nepal from Sweden via Danish Embassy. so i was thinking of filling up the form now rather than wait for my new passport since it takes so much time. But the real problem is that the informations on my passport might change after the MRP conversion... like passport number or expiry date but im not sure if these changes will occur. So will this affect the process at later dates like interviews and such?

Doesn't matter, many people have passports expiring/new ones issued between sending in DS forms and the interview. They will just update the details at the interview.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

** yes it's a normal procedure, don't worry about it. (I had one too)

I'm interested in this too. How do you answer the question?

I renewed a work visa so they cancelled the first visa.

Yes, visa cancelled, or no, visa not cancelled?

Timeline

** after the baby is born send a DS260 through for the baby, as well as updated ones for you and your wife (showing the baby as a new dependent)

So should I fill the DS-260 right now (without the newborn that will be born in Spetember 2014) and file another DS-260 (DS-260 update?) after the baby will be born?

Is it a normal thing to send updated DS-230? This year we will send DS-230 via internet, so will there be a possibility to update it once it was submitted?

I have a high CN number, so I want to be sure that everything is ok and I do not want to complicate the paperwork for KCC guys.

Maybe I should wait until the baby in born and then fill out and submit DS-230 for all familly members? I expect my interview in August/September 2015

I called the embassy in my country but the answer was like the lady never had such a situation and was not 100% sure. I wrote an e-mail to KCC but they wrote me back with general guidance that does not include my special situation.

Thanks in advance for all your answers.

So should I fill the DS-260 right now (without the newborn that will be born in Spetember 2014) and file another DS-260 (DS-260 update?) after the baby will be born?

Is it a normal thing to send updated DS-230? This year we will send DS-230 via internet, so will there be a possibility to update it once it was submitted?

I have a high CN number, so I want to be sure that everything is ok and I do not want to complicate the paperwork for KCC guys.

Maybe I should wait until the baby in born and then fill out and submit DS-230 for all familly members? I expect my interview in August/September 2015

I called the embassy in my country but the answer was like the lady never had such a situation and was not 100% sure. I wrote an e-mail to KCC but they wrote me back with general guidance that does not include my special situation.

It's not really a special situation, has happened to many people! You can either fill out now and send updated forms later or wait for the baby; if you have a high case number, submitting your forms in Sept/Oct 2014 won't make any difference to your interview date so you may prefer to wait till then as it will be less complicated to submit one set of forms that doesn't have to be updated later. Just don't forget to do it in all the excitement of the new baby!!!!

Timeline

I was writing about DS-260 (not DS-230 - my mistake, sorry)

Timeline

It's not really a special situation, has happened to many people! You can either fill out now and send updated forms later or wait for the baby; if you have a high case number, submitting your forms in Sept/Oct 2014 won't make any difference to your interview date so you may prefer to wait till then as it will be less complicated to submit one set of forms that doesn't have to be updated later. Just don't forget to do it in all the excitement of the new baby!!!!

:) Sure. Thanks for the advice.

Good afternoon all... Please my name is Christian and am new here.. Please how do i apply for the diversity lottery visa.. Am from Nigeria

Nigeria is no longer eligible for participation in the DV lottery. DV2014 was the last year it participated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.