user19000

Please help me! My ex filed tax forging my signature

82 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Go through the proper channels that have been suggested here. You filed a return Filing Separately, which was correct. He filed a fraudulent Filing Jointly return. The IRS takes fraudulent returns VERY seriously and are not known for their forgiving nature.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Timeline

The only way you could be "forced" to file together was if it was agreed to in the divorce settlement and it would be next to unheard of to have that in a divorce. Without that or your consent he can't "use" you on his tax return. Just deal with the IRS , Let them deal with him

This would ONLY work if both parties were in agreement. Even still, it is not binding as far as the IRS is concerned.

Usually what happens is the couple negotiates a deal which is advantageous to both and if the judge sees that it is fair then will allow it to be included in the summary judgement. If the judge thought that one spouse was being unreasonable and the other was being taken advantage of, the judge may then grant the spouse out of favor a greater share of the marital assets as 'equitable' division of property, but they still could not order a tax return to be filed in a certain way - it is outside the scope of their jurisdiction.

No, again, no one could force the OP to file a MFJ return.

Thank you everyone for the valuable input!

I haven't gone to bed since yesterday morning when I got the letter. I'm more worried about how he's going to control my life than what the IRS might do to me. i know I didn't commit tax fraud. However, if my ex husband can get away with this then I don't know what more he will do to me. Thank God, all my neighbors in Pennsylvania where I lived with him and my friends on Facebook know me personally and they know I'm not a #######, not a thief, not a scammer, not someone who used all his money to travel the world (I haven't been out of the US since my arrival on a K1-visa). They have always been supportive and loving.

The posts you, my VJer fellows, have contributed made me cry, out of joy. At least there are kind-hearted people out there, and the world has not been taken over by evils.

Timeline

The posts you, my VJer fellows, have contributed made me cry, out of joy. At least there are kind-hearted people out there, and the world has not been taken over by evils.

I'm just happy I can help, as always.

6gai.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Help!

I was legally separated from my ex husband since mid 2013 and moved across the country from him since. The divorce was granted on January 3, 2014.

I didn't make any money last year. My ex husband did, as usual.

I've never met or talked with my ex since I moved. (He has been sending nasty emails and facebook messages to all my friends, making up horrible stories about me, and somehow came up with the idea that I am now working as a prostitute in Europe).

Today I received a letter from the IRS in my new address in California, stating that I owe them almost $3,000, and that on April 07, 2014 a return was filed under my name as "married filing jointly".

It must have been my ex husband filing and forging my signature.

I'm very worried. I dialed the number on the IRS letter 631-447-4826 but no one picked up and I was hung up on.

What do I have to do? I'm freaking out! Please help!

I googled that phone # that you listed and it comes up as a Patchogue number in Long Island, NY. There is no IRS office located there. Call 1-800-829-1040 and verify that you received a letter from them, it might be fraud.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the valuable input!

I haven't gone to bed since yesterday morning when I got the letter. I'm more worried about how he's going to control my life than what the IRS might do to me. i know I didn't commit tax fraud. However, if my ex husband can get away with this then I don't know what more he will do to me. Thank God, all my neighbors in Pennsylvania where I lived with him and my friends on Facebook know me personally and they know I'm not a #######, not a thief, not a scammer, not someone who used all his money to travel the world (I haven't been out of the US since my arrival on a K1-visa). They have always been supportive and loving.

Take a deep breath and calm down. I know it's hard. He cannot control your life. The IRS will help you and like it was mentioned, they take tax fraud very seriously. Your Ex is in DEEP $#!+. He will not get away with this. It is good that your neighbors can vouch for you.

See if any tax attorneys will give you a free consultation, too.

This will not end well for your ex and he had it coming by doing this to you and trying to get away with it.

You have our support here too.

Timeline

Thank you, Avery Cates.

May you have a wonderful weekend.

Thank you, Avery Cates.

May you have a wonderful weekend!

And you as well.

6gai.jpg

I googled that phone # that you listed and it comes up as a Patchogue number in Long Island, NY. There is no IRS office located there. Call 1-800-829-1040 and verify that you received a letter from them, it might be fraud.

No, morocogirlny, scammers wouldn't know what dates my tax returns were filed. I know this is from the IRS. In the letter they sent there's all my most confidential information, including my SSN. What else would scammers need from me? The address is: Internal Revenue Service, 1040 Waverly Ave, Holtsville, NY 11742. And as my ex husband confirmed to me this morning, he did file jointly.

No, morocogirlny, scammers wouldn't know what dates my tax returns were filed. I know this is from the IRS. In the letter they sent there's all my most confidential information, including my SSN. What else would scammers need from me? The address is: Internal Revenue Service, 1040 Waverly Ave, Holtsville, NY 11742. And as my ex husband confirmed to me this morning, he did file jointly.

Timeline

Post edited: Disregard, I looked at wrong information.

Edited by Avery Cates

6gai.jpg

I also would follow the step outlined here:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0008-tax-related-identity-theft

If he did file a tax return using your social security number without your permission, you can also file a police report for identity theft. I would not hesitate to do that.

Also, don't contact him any more for any reason. He's feeding off your reactions to his behavior and continuing to at least verbally and mentally abuse you (and perhaps also financially). Don't let him.

Go talk to a tax attorney and report him to the IRS!!!

Thank you for the idea. I've always tried to solve my problems in the most peaceful way possible. I'm also the type of person who is very easy to be intimidated. I've tried not to cause my ex husband any trouble lest he goes mad and gets even nastier. I know how vindictive that man is. I just wish I could wash my hands off of him, now that we are divorced, we shouldn't have anything to do with each other any more. The memory about the marriage and the thought of him tracking me down really haunt my dreams.

But this time I did think of going to the police. And if only I could see an attorney. But the situation I'm in right now is a little bit tough. No car, no public transportation, barely enough money to survive. I'm not whining, it's just the truth. I can't seem to find a job around here. I want to move to another state but am not sure if that would cause any inconvenience s regarding my pending ROC application, which was filed just a little bit over a month ago.

Supposed the police office is within the walking distance, which I 'll yet have to find out, and I can go there on foot next week, will they just take my words that my ex husband used my information fraudulently and do something? 'Coz the letter from the IRS only says two tax returns were filed under my name, it doesn't say my ex husband file the married filing jointly one without my permission.

Oh God, how I wish I could change my SSN!

Take a deep breath and calm down. I know it's hard. He cannot control your life. The IRS will help you and like it was mentioned, they take tax fraud very seriously. Your Ex is in DEEP $#!+. He will not get away with this. It is good that your neighbors can vouch for you.

See if any tax attorneys will give you a free consultation, too.

This will not end well for your ex and he had it coming by doing this to you and trying to get away with it.

You have our support here too.

Thank you so much, Sofialsabella. Your reassuring words really make me feel better.

File an amended return for tax year 2013. Filled married but separated. It will start changing all the numbers for him as well as you. (If you are married 31-Dec-13 then on the form you would be married)

"You should file an amended tax return if you need to correct any piece of information that will alter your tax calculations". Just inform him you have filed a 1040X

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.