DVer

DV2015 Selectee with Dual Citizenship - Questions

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I'm an Syrian Canadian Citizen. I have Dual Citizenships. Born in Syria then immigrated to Canada some 10 years ago. Last year I applied for the DV2015 as a Syrian Citizen and I actually got selected.

Here are my Questions:

1- Is my CN 2015AS00016xxx high? And when shall I expect an interview?

2- if I get to the interview, I need a valid Passport. Can I use my Canadian Passport or do I have to use my Syrian Passport (I don't have a Syrian Passport, but I can get one)

Hope to find someone with a Dual Citizenship experience that can shed some light here.

Thanks!

We all Live in a Yellow Submarine...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You entered based on your Syrian citizenship and must have proof of that when you interview. They will want to put the visa in the passport you applied through.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Hello,

I'm an Syrian Canadian Citizen. I have Dual Citizenships. Born in Syria then immigrated to Canada some 10 years ago. Last year I applied for the DV2015 as a Syrian Citizen and I actually got selected.

Here are my Questions:

2- if I get to the interview, I need a valid Passport. Can I use my Canadian Passport or do I have to use my Syrian Passport (I don't have a Syrian Passport, but I can get one)

Hope to find someone with a Dual Citizenship experience that can shed some light here.

Thanks!

You entered based on your Syrian citizenship and must have proof of that when you interview. They will want to put the visa in the passport you applied through.

Sorry, that is incorrect.

DV has NOTHING to do with citizenship. It is about country of BIRTH (except in a few specialized cases). So, what he needs to have at the interview is his birth certificate (that shows the place of birth in Syria) and then his current passport. Whether that is a Canadian or Syrian passport makes no difference.

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Thanks guys. The Canadian Passport clearly indicates Place and Country of Birth. The <<< code also tell one's origin.

I'd love to hear more opinions on this.

That may be true, BUT, just to be clear, the instructions clearly define the birth certificate as being the document that establishes the proof of nativity. The passport by itself is NOT acceptable for that. The birth cert should be the long form type that shows (or at least has space for) both parents.

Britsimon is correct. There are people who have never been citizens of the countries they were born in so it is impossible for them to have passports from them. You need (1) proof of where you were born - via your birth certificate (2) a valid passport, doesn't matter who issued it as long as it is valid and has at least 6 months to expiry from your interview date.

Thanks again for the replies.

Please answer my 1st question:

It is too early to say for sure about how high your number is, although you will get a good idea from watching what happens this year to people with similar numbers from your region (not from Iran or Nepal).

As to when you will be interviewed. That is clearer - it will be very late, probably around August or September 2015. So you have around 18 months to wait...

Timeline

It is too early to say for sure about how high your number is, although you will get a good idea from watching what happens this year to people with similar numbers from your region (not from Iran or Nepal).

As to when you will be interviewed. That is clearer - it will be very late, probably around August or September 2015. So you have around 18 months to wait...

According to the Bulletin for Asia, May is at 6500 and June at 7400. My chances are slim. I need double luck here. One to be a Selectee and one to be a Winner.

I read they keep certain countries to the end (Arab/Muslim). This way if there's something missing you have no time left. It's soon September 30st.

BTW, what does it mean when a continent becomes "Current"? Asia became "Current" in July 2013.

According to the Bulletin for Asia, May is at 6500 and June at 7400. My chances are slim. I need double luck here. One to be a Selectee and one to be a Winner.

I read they keep certain countries to the end (Arab/Muslim). This way if there's something missing you have no time left. It's soon September 30st.

BTW, what does it mean when a continent becomes "Current"? Asia became "Current" in July 2013.

Current means all numbers are available for interview. For the past few years, all regions have been current by fiscal year end. This wasn't always the case for preceding years, and there are some of us who don't think it will be the case for DV2014... we'll find out for sure within a couple of months.

It's incorrect that they keep certain countries to the end. Some countries with very high numbers of applicants have lower cutoffs than the rest of their region but that is based on numbers (capacity) not religion. For example Africa and Asia will both include both Muslim and non -Muslim countries. You may be getting confused with administrative processing, which is more common for Muslim countries. Generally they spread interviews/numbers roughly equally over the year across regions.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Current means all numbers are available for interview. For the past few years, all regions have been current by fiscal year end. This wasn't always the case for preceding years, and there are some of us who don't think it will be the case for DV2014... we'll find out for sure within a couple of months.

Thanks SusieQQQ.

When all numbers are Current do they still go by Ascending order? Or they will go by 1st come 1st served?

Timeline

It's incorrect that they keep certain countries to the end. Some countries with very high numbers of applicants have lower cutoffs than the rest of their region but that is based on numbers (capacity) not religion. For example Africa and Asia will both include both Muslim and non -Muslim countries. You may be getting confused with administrative processing, which is more common for Muslim countries. Generally they spread interviews/numbers roughly equally over the year across regions.

The Security Checks are taking around 4 months for Muslim Countries. In some cases, the wife and kids get accepted and the husband is still pending the security checks. September is around the Corner and the family gets split. Then the husband needs to wait some 5 years for his wife to get naturalized to be able to petition or so I read.

Anyways, I don't believe it'll be my case as I have been in Canada for quite some time now, but it depends on the Counselor.

The Security Checks are taking around 4 months for Muslim Countries. In some cases, the wife and kids get accepted and the husband is still pending the security checks. September is around the Corner and the family gets split. Then the husband needs to wait some 5 years for his wife to get naturalized to be able to petition or so I read.

Anyways, I don't believe it'll be my case as I have been in Canada for quite some time now, but it depends on the Counselor.

You are getting your facts badly mixed up - don't believe everything you have read (and then interpreted in your own mind).

Thanks SusieQQQ.

When all numbers are Current do they still go by Ascending order? Or they will go by 1st come 1st served?

That...is one thing we have not been able to figure out the answer for... But it generally shouldn't make much difference.

It's true that sometimes the wife and kids are approved while the husband isn't, though obviously that only happens when the wife is the applicant - as the principal needs to have a visa issued before the derivatives can get theirs. It doesn't depend on the consular officer (not counselor), it depends on your name and background (country, where you have lived, what work you have done, have you done things like travel to certain countries regularly etc....). and how long it can take to do background checks etc. This means it can vary wildly, I have seen reports between 2 weeks to over 6 months. These checks are mandated by something central and not dependent on a CO's mood...

You also need to understand the processes a bit better. You do not have to be a citizen to petition for a spouse, you can start that process as soon as you get your green card. Also I feel obliged to point out that no-one forces the family to be split... If the family decides that the opportunity of living in the US is worth splitting themselves up for that is their decision...

Timeline

It's true that sometimes the wife and kids are approved while the husband isn't, though obviously that only happens when the wife is the applicant - as the principal needs to have a visa issued before the derivatives can get theirs. It doesn't depend on the consular officer (not counselor), it depends on your name and background (country, where you have lived, what work you have done, have you done things like travel to certain countries regularly etc....). and how long it can take to do background checks etc. This means it can vary wildly, I have seen reports between 2 weeks to over 6 months. These checks are mandated by something central and not dependent on a CO's mood...

You also need to understand the processes a bit better. You do not have to be a citizen to petition for a spouse, you can start that process as soon as you get your green card. Also I feel obliged to point out that no-one forces the family to be split... If the family decides that the opportunity of living in the US is worth splitting themselves up for that is their decision...

Thank you SusieQQQ. Your answers sound professional and straight to the point...

You are right, I'm learning about the US immigration system. At one point in life I was an expert on the Canadian immigration system. Amazing how things change in life.

As I said, I'm not exactly worrying about my situation as I was legal and a student in every country I lived in. I've been to the US so many times (I have relatives there). What would worry me is an unprofessional consular officer... But I'll keep optimistic about that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.