DVer

DV2015 Selectee with Dual Citizenship - Questions

31 posts in this topic

What would worry me is an unprofessional consular officer... But I'll keep optimistic about that.

One thing about the DV process that seems to (pleasantly) surprise many people: the officers tend to be very nice. They are not there to try catch you out, they are in fact very happy to give out these visas to people who are eligible. If you have nothing illegal in your background you have absolutely nothing to worry about, although it probably will get frustrating if you are put on AP.

Filed: Timeline

Hello!

I have been selected in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2015.

For the "Country of eligibility for the DV Program" I selected Romania, because I was born there. I also have dual citizenship (Romanian, Hungarian).

In the DS-260 from, I need to give my nationality and my passport number. Unfortunately I do not have a passport from my Country of Eligibility, but I have a Hungarian passport.

My question is, that if I can use my Hungarian passport if I selected Romania at "Country of eligibility for the DV Program". I also have birth certificate which indicates, that I was born in Romania.

Hello!

I have been selected in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2015.

For the "Country of eligibility for the DV Program" I selected Romania, because I was born there. I also have dual citizenship (Romanian, Hungarian).

In the DS-260 from, I need to give my nationality and my passport number. Unfortunately I do not have a passport from my Country of Eligibility, but I have a Hungarian passport.

My question is, that if I can use my Hungarian passport if I selected Romania at "Country of eligibility for the DV Program". I also have birth certificate which indicates, that I was born in Romania.

Answered in other thread, please do not post the same question in multiple threads

Sorry about that. It will never happen again. I just wanted to be sure about my case. Right now I'm in Denmark, and it would take 90 days to make a passport at the Romanian embassy. But as I mentioned above, I have dual citizenship (Romanian, Hungarian) and I have a Hungarian valid passport, but for the country of eligibility I selected Romania, because I was born there. I think my case is very similar to the first one, but I hope you can confirm this fact form me,

Sorry about that. It will never happen again. I just wanted to be sure about my case. Right now I'm in Denmark, and it would take 90 days to make a passport at the Romanian embassy. But as I mentioned above, I have dual citizenship (Romanian, Hungarian) and I have a Hungarian valid passport, but for the country of eligibility I selected Romania, because I was born there. I think my case is very similar to the first one, but I hope you can confirm this fact form me,

Yes. They don't care what your current nationality or passport is. Your birth country is what determines eligibility and that is what they care about.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

What do you mean by AP?

Administrative processing ! The nightmare of the dv winners :(

Its like boogeyman for kids !

I'm not an official or an attorney!

Its all about a guess work...

I'm just a DVHOLIC :)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Administrative processing ! The nightmare of the dv winners :(

Its like boogeyman for kids !

AFAIK, APs start once the DS-260 is filed to KCC. So they should have from May 2014 till August 2015 (estimated interview date). That's a hell long time to look someone up or not?

We all Live in a Yellow Submarine...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

AFAIK, APs start once the DS-260 is filed to KCC. So they should have from May 2014 till August 2015 (estimated interview date). That's a hell long time to look someone up or not?

Haha no ! At the time of the interview, some get denied some get visa granted, some get put into AP for missing document for suspecious back ground ! And many various reasons...

The thing whith the AP is you never know when will it end it can take few days or several months :( and if your timeline is short you might hit the wall at the end of the fiscal year (30 september). And you will loos out :(

Hope that explains it

I'm not an official or an attorney!

Its all about a guess work...

I'm just a DVHOLIC :)

No. Firstly, KCC don't manage to get through the forms as soon as they are submitted. There are humans staffing the offices, and it takes a while to get through tens of thousands of forms, checking the entries, creating files etc. So even if you submit your form in May, KCC may well take a month or more just to get round to creating your file. Then, KCC will do a preliminary background check, but seeing as there are always a surprising number of people who return forms then don't show up for interview, they are not going to do full-on checks on everyone who has returned forms. If they decide to do AP, it is a consular officer decision, and they will start after the interview and it will be partly dependent on the actual answers etc given at the interview. Remember KCC does not have authority to make any decisions on things like who will get visas, who will go on AP and so on - that is all up to the consular officials.

Also remember they are all currently busy doing the admin, checks etc on people currently being interviewed for DV2014. It's not like everyone is sitting around waiting for DV2015 to begin without anything to do while they wait...

So being selected means nothing here. One gets the answer the interview day.

Now what kind of Questions they'd ask during the interview?

If you are selected and you meet the requirements, you get the visa. Easy. Have minimum education requirement, pass medical, no criminal record (or involvement with terrorists, etc), won't be public charge, didn't falsify entry form, visa is yours. So being selected only means "nothing" for those who did not read the entry instructions and entered without qualifying.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. They don't care what your current nationality or passport is. Your birth country is what determines eligibility and that is what they care about.

I submitted my DS-260 form. I paid much attention to every details. As you said, they don't care about my current nationality and passport. What determines eligibility is my birth country. In my case the country of birth is Romania, but my traveling document (passport) is a Hungarian one.

In the first letter, in which they mentioned that I have been selected, at the bottom of of the page beside the case number, they gave this information: Foreign State Chargeability: ROMANIA. As you said it means that my birth country will determines this.

After submitting my DS-260 from, including that I have Hungarian and Romanian nationalities as well, I got my confirmation page mentioning this: Country/Region of Origin (Nationality): HUNGARY.

I hope everything will be fine.

Edited by norbert

I submitted my DS-260 form. I paid much attention to every details. As you said, they don't care about my current nationality and passport. What determines eligibility is my birth country. In my case the country of birth is Romania, but my traveling document (passport) is a Hungarian one.

In the first letter, in which they mentioned that I have been selected, at the bottom of of the page beside the case number, they gave this information: Foreign State Chargeability: ROMANIA. As you said it means that my birth country will determines this.

After submitting my DS-260 from, including that I have Hungarian and Romanian nationalities as well, I got my confirmation page mentioning this: Country/Region of Origin (Nationality): HUNGARY.

I hope everything will be fine.

It looks fine and shouldn't be a problem at all. Both countries are EU region anyway so even if you had the wrong one it wouldn't actually be a problem!

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.