I AM NOT THAT GUY

Toyota Is Moving Its US Headquarters From California To Texas

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am comforted by the never ending sounds of humanity.

You would hate Nevada. I drove down one stretch of road between Las Vegas and Reno late one moonless night. I pulled to the side of the road to relief myself. I walked several hundred feet away from the car, and noted, except for the metallic cooling sounds coming from the car, there was absolute silence, no traffic sounds, no lights other than the stars, and except for the highway, no evidence on either side of the road as far as I could see, that humans exist on the planet.

When my wife first came here, and as she rode with me to see customers, as we drove through wooded areas, farmlands, even along the rugged Sonoma Coast, she would say, "So sad! Where are all the people?"

You would hate Nevada. I drove down one stretch of road between Las Vegas and Reno late one moonless night. I pulled to the side of the road to relief myself. I walked several hundred feet away from the car, and noted, except for the metallic cooling sounds coming from the car, there was absolute silence, no traffic sounds, no lights other than the stars, and except for the highway, no evidence on either side of the road as far as I could see, that humans exist on the planet.

When my wife first came here, and as she rode with me to see customers, as we drove through wooded areas, farmlands, even along the rugged Sonoma Coast, she would say, "So sad! Where are all the people?"

To the contrary, I love driving in the Nevada desert. I like the quiet, I like the open space, the sense of nothingness.

But I'd go insane if I lived there.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To the contrary, I love driving in the Nevada desert. I like the quiet, I like the open space, the sense of nothingness.

Just take some acid, all will be well.

When I first visited a friend and stayed the weekend in a small town, the first thing I noticed was the lack of convenience after dusk, and since he had no TV (and no internet back then), playing cards and listening to AM radio until one felt tired seemed poor entertainment. I have since adjusted. A city boy can learn to love rural life. I can't wait to get back to the peace and security of my little house in the woods. I have become such a homebody. Of course, the internet came and ruined all that, but I still find moments to enjoy the big outdoors.

Just take some acid, all will be well.

Guns, booze, and acid go well together, especially in the desert night air.

I was raised in SoCal, not too far from where almost every western you ever saw was filmed. The desert is in my blood, always.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I first visited a friend and stayed the weekend in a small town, the first thing I noticed was the lack of convenience after dusk, and since he had no TV (and no internet back then), playing cards and listening to AM radio until one felt tired seemed poor entertainment. I have since adjusted. A city boy can learn to love rural life. I can't wait to get back to the peace and security of my little house in the woods. I have become such a homebody. Of course, the internet came and ruined all that, but I still find moments to enjoy the big outdoors.

Guns, booze, and acid go well together, especially in the desert night air.

I feel like an assault rifle in hand while in the desert would be fun. Until I ran out of bullets.

Timeline

Out in west Texas it is desert. East Texas we get too much rain.

Both states are suffering from long periods of drought and will continue for a long time. Plants need water.

They probably wanted to be closer to their manufacturing plant...in Texas.

We're talking about a Sales and Marketing "plant" here. Just saying...

Texas taxpayers, Toyota's C-suite thanks you.

Texas offered Toyota $40 million to move to the Lone Star State, part of a Texas Enterprise Fund incentive program run out of the governor's office. It is one of the largest incentives handed out in the decade-old program--and costs more per job created than any other large award. Last year, Texas spent about $6,800 to lure each of 1,700 Chevron Corp. positions to Houston and $5,800 for each of 3,600 Apple Inc. jobs shifted to Austin. Texas is paying $10,000 per job for the Toyota relocation.

Texans need better math teachers.

Is $10,000 per job really too much?

Every job brings with it an entire family. These aren't families that will draw benefits. These are families that will pay taxes and contribute. Net net, they pay $10k for a job but get back a lot more over the long haul.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is $10,000 per job really too much?

Every job brings with it an entire family. These aren't families that will draw benefits. These are families that will pay taxes and contribute. Net net, they pay $10k for a job but get back a lot more over the long haul.

I guess if they had a declining population.