deleted-05292014

Neil DeGrasse Tyson reveals age of Earth, creationists’ heads collectively explode

99 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Science is only one approach to understanding the universe. Science lacks an explanation for many phenomena experienced by humans, and some other approaches offer an explanation of their own for those. Pragmatically speaking, whatever works, works. Because one group of people clings to one set of beliefs, does not make them wrong, it just makes them different. Newtonian physics does not explain the way things act in the minuscule, but does a fairly good job of explaining what most humans encounter in their daily lives. However Newtonian Physics alone would have not produced many of the products we use in our modern, daily life. I am almost certain that much of what we consider the culmination of all science and truth today, will be eventually dismissed as ancient superstition someday. We can only hope our simpleminded ways will not cause future generations to fail to see the significant strides we have made thus far to understand the world around us.

Because one group of people clings to one set of beliefs, does not make them wrong, it just makes them different.

That's simply not true.

If someone believes in a flat earth, or that there's a Man in the Moon, or that your DNA does not encode your phenotype, then they are not just different. They are flat, outright wrong. No if's and's or's about it.

I am almost certain that much of what we consider the culmination of all science and truth today, will be eventually dismissed as ancient superstition someday.

And I am quite certain that much of what we consider the culmination of current scientific knowledge today will absolutely stand the test of time and not be dismissed. Will it be refined, extended, added to? Of course. But can we be quite certain that the universe began from a singularity, expanded rapidly to form the known cosmos with matter dominating antimatter, with 4 basic forces: strong, weak, electromagnetic, and gravity? You're darn tootin'. No turning back on these, and many other, discovered truths.

As to the show:

"m 'meh'.

The whole "Ship of the Imagination" breathlessness doesn't do it for me at all. He's trite, superficial in his coverage.

I'm enjoying far more "Your Inner Fish" with Neil Shubin on PBS. Pity it was only 3 episodes.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Because one group of people clings to one set of beliefs, does not make them wrong, it just makes them different.

That's simply not true.

If someone believes in a flat earth, or that there's a Man in the Moon, or that your DNA does not encode your phenotype, then they are not just different. They are flat, outright wrong. No if's and's or's about it.

I am almost certain that much of what we consider the culmination of all science and truth today, will be eventually dismissed as ancient superstition someday.

And I am quite certain that much of what we consider the culmination of current scientific knowledge today will absolutely stand the test of time and not be dismissed. Will it be refined, extended, added to? Of course. But can we be quite certain that the universe began from a singularity, expanded rapidly to form the known cosmos with matter dominating antimatter, with 4 basic forces: strong, weak, electromagnetic, and gravity? You're darn tootin'. No turning back on these, and many other, discovered truths.

As to the show:

"m 'meh'.

The whole "Ship of the Imagination" breathlessness doesn't do it for me at all. He's trite, superficial in his coverage.

I'm enjoying far more "Your Inner Fish" with Neil Shubin on PBS. Pity it was only 3 episodes.

scandal!!! Hooray!!!

Filed: Timeline

religious zealots and bible thumpers are quick to poo poo science....when it seemingly interferes with their own feeble attempts to brain wash the masses (so as to collect the cash)...but oddly, these same bible thumpers who believe science is the work of the devil gladly climb aboard airplanes (which were invented thanks to science!), have no trouble buying one of these with the social security checks sent in by brain dead believers, they use the science of TV to broadcast their constant pleas for cash....they use cell phones....aren't they using the tools of that very clever entity, the Devil? Or perhaps hypocrisy might better describe their views....

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

religious zealots and bible thumpers are quick to poo poo science....when it seemingly interferes with their own feeble attempts to brain wash the masses (so as to collect the cash)...but oddly, these same bible thumpers who believe science is the work of the devil gladly climb aboard airplanes (which were invented thanks to science!), have no trouble buying one of these with the social security checks sent in by brain dead believers, they use the science of TV to broadcast their constant pleas for cash....they use cell phones....aren't they using the tools of that very clever entity, the Devil? Or perhaps hypocrisy might better describe their views....

Creationists believe that the Bible is science. :(

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

And Tibetans believe the Universe can be manipulated by a prayer wheel. I think the outrage against religion is selective.

What outrage? :huh:

What I have is disdain for certain tenets of each form of religion, some more than others. ;)

2011-11-15.garfield.png

That's simply not true.

As to the show:

"m 'meh'.

He lives!!!!!! Good to see you post, it's been a long time. I figured you've been busy going to the symphony and forgot about all of us. :devil: :devil: How have you been?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you bothered to pay attention, you wouldn't need to ask that question. <_<

Yes or no would have been a sufficient answer, as it is you gave no answer at all.

Who are the Creationist you speak for?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Yes or no would have been a sufficient answer, as it is you gave no answer at all.

Who are the Creationist you speak for?

The Creationists I speak of are those who insist on having the Biblical story of Creation taught in Science classes at schools. Creation, a story wholly reliant on faith in a written text, with no record of substantiation beyond the realm of human history.

Answer enough for you? <_<

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Satan, which is just another made up entity...

You never met my Ex or you would believe with fervor

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

He lives!!!!!! Good to see you post, it's been a long time. I figured you've been busy going to the symphony and forgot about all of us. :devil: :devil: How have you been?

Hiya spooks. No time for the symphony,alas.

I just came by to check how the flock of sheep are doing.

Any sign of Booyah?