suzy0985

Do you need a Passport?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So my fiancé is a refugee living in france, he was granted religious asylum thank God in march, but he doesn't have a French passport. I went to immigration to ask the officer before I submitted my application for the k1 visa and he told me not to include any of his asylum documents in the file because it will only slow things down. When I asked how he can enter the US if he is God willing granted the visa she said that he can be given a one time pass to come to America since he doesn't have a passport yet and cant get one for a while. Now I never heard of this one time pass so I just want some assurance or information about it, I have been reading different forums and everyone says they go into the interview with a passport so I am getting nervous please help thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have never heard of being able to get a K-1 visa without a passport. Ask your consulate directly. Explain your situation. They would be the ones to tell you if getting a K-1 visa and traveling to the US without a passport is a possibility at all, or if you must have a passport no matter what.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

If he is not a French citizen then he is not eligible for a French passport. He either needs a passport from his home country (which he could probably obtain at a local embassy/consulate), or he needs to investigate whether or not he is eligible for a French refugee/asylee travel document. This would function as a passport for travel but would not confer citizenship. He will need an international ID so I don't see how he can hide his asylee status to the US gov. He will also need a police clearance from his old country, no matter what.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

So my fiancé is a refugee living in france, he was granted religious asylum thank God in march, but he doesn't have a French passport. I went to immigration to ask the officer before I submitted my application for the k1 visa and he told me not to include any of his asylum documents in the file because it will only slow things down. When I asked how he can enter the US if he is God willing granted the visa she said that he can be given a one time pass to come to America since he doesn't have a passport yet and cant get one for a while. Now I never heard of this one time pass so I just want some assurance or information about it, I have been reading different forums and everyone says they go into the interview with a passport so I am getting nervous please help thanks!

He must request a French refugee travel document. I am not sure what the precise route would be but I would recommend he seeks further info at his local Mairie..

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

He needs to go to the Prefecture. And ask for a "travel document". You can check on the website of the French government "droits et services" they explain what he has to do.

Sent : 04/16/2014

Received : 04/21/2014

NOA1: 04/23/2014

Alien registration number : 04/28/2014

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.