41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

now the apartment we stayed at in toronto is suing us :angry: apparently, we had to give 2 months notice when we were going to leave ... but when you're a ) deported, and b ) unexpectedly get a visa, how in the hell are you supposed to give that kind of notice? why would the freaking landlord not say anything about it when we told her we were leaving?

dammit dammit dammit!!

Edited by nijusjaanu

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

** them

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I assume that they do have that in writing, about the two months notice.....?

If they don't, tell them to bring it on. If they do, you may be able to offer them payment to cover for the time the apartment was unrented until the end of your contract, pro-rata'd monthly. It's not an ideal solution financially for you, but it may be a lot quicker and cheaper than being sued.

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
:angry::angry:

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

So how can they even sue you if you're not there?

Hey, it's not your fault you can't go back to Canada to defend yourself :P

that's what i'm thinking!! i'm honestly not sure what they can actually do to me if i ignore them completely ... they can't cross the border with that kind of stuff, can they?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you've both left the country, I'd be inclined to think your landlord is SOL. How do you even know about this though? Did you provide a forwarding address?

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

Since you've both left the country, I'd be inclined to think your landlord is SOL. How do you even know about this though? Did you provide a forwarding address?

when he got into the US, he had to send the apartment a letter stating that he had left the building -- on the envelope was the new adress, and i suppose he must have put the phone number in, in case they had questions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh... that sucks. change your phone number :D

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I've had this sort of thing happen to me. Some low-life knows that once you are out-of-state, or out of their area it is easy to sue you or whatever to get some extra money. They know it will cost you more than the supposed debt to travel back and fight it.

They're hoping that you'll just send the money. I'm not sure about the laws in Canada, but in the US, it's easy for anyone to claim you owe money and add that claim to your credit report. You either pay them or get denied credit wherever you apply for the next 7 years.

12/06/05 Mailed I-129f to TSC

12/12/05 NOA1 date from CSC

03/14/06 NOA2 date from CSC

03/22/06 case mailed from NVC to Kiev

03/25/06 Received snail mail notice from CSC, application mailed to NVC

04/05/06 Kiev Embassy mailed Packet 3

04/16/06 Fiancee received Packet 3

04/26/06 Fiancee faxed KEV-1 checklist to embassy

05/04/06 Kiev Embassy mailed Packet 4

05/29/06 Medical exam

05/31/06 Interview in Kiev

06/02/06 Received Visa

06/24/06 POE JFK

09/15/06 Married!

I've had this sort of thing happen to me. Some low-life knows that once you are out-of-state, or out of their area it is easy to sue you or whatever to get some extra money. They know it will cost you more than the supposed debt to travel back and fight it.

They're hoping that you'll just send the money. I'm not sure about the laws in Canada, but in the US, it's easy for anyone to claim you owe money and add that claim to your credit report. You either pay them or get denied credit wherever you apply for the next 7 years.

does credit cross the border??

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's not some low life, in Ontario it is the law that you give 60 days notice when vacating your apartment.

does credit cross the border??

Depending on their collection agency, they might be able to catch up with your husband.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.