nijusjaanu

so tired of the south

228 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've gotten teased about my southern drawl many a times. When I flew through Boston (I say it Bawstun) the lady at the Delta counter would have me repeat things several times, and just laugh. You know, our kids here in school have some very strong southern, or country, accents too. Stronger than mine.

I've tried hard to get rid of my southern accent...but it just ain't happening. Joel told me, the first time we talked on the phone that "you really do have a southern accent!". can't go anywhere without someone saying to me "you aint from around here, are ya?" (here's your sign :D )

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
I've gotten teased about my southern drawl many a times. When I flew through Boston (I say it Bawstun) the lady at the Delta counter would have me repeat things several times, and just laugh. You know, our kids here in school have some very strong southern, or country, accents too. Stronger than mine.

I've tried hard to get rid of my southern accent...but it just ain't happening. Joel told me, the first time we talked on the phone that "you really do have a southern accent!". can't go anywhere without someone saying to me "you aint from around here, are ya?" (here's your sign :D )

You know what the really funny thing is......now that you said all of that stuff I read your messages with a southern accent in my head.

What the he11's wrong with me?

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

see, you can only hear my southern accent when I'm very very very angry. Most of the time I sound like the rest of us midwesterners.

I notice quite the opposite with Carly. She loses her Texas accent when she gets mad. I know it's usually a sign to run for the hills. :yes:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
see, you can only hear my southern accent when I'm very very very angry. Most of the time I sound like the rest of us midwesterners.

I notice quite the opposite with Carly. She loses her Texas accent when she gets mad. I know it's usually a sign to run for the hills. :yes:

LOL

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline
Fixin' to is a point of contention between my aunt (from Alabama) and my uncle (from Iowa). He refuses to accept that that is ok to say, it's funny to hear them argue about it! :)

Iowa? Who gives a rat's patoot what folk from Iowa think is okay to use? Iowa? Is that on some map somewhere? Your auntie is absolutely right. :yes:

Well, gotta go y'all. Fixin to watch a movie. :P

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is so cute.

I can remember the first time Roger and I talked on the Phone. I really couldnt make him out to good. :whistle:

When we first started talkin on the phone. I did have to ask him a few times what he said on several occasions.

I am used to it now thou. I am surrounded by Southern Folk.

His Southern accent is sexy to me. :P

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My hubby has a combo Texan/ Cali Surfer dude/Utahn Accent.

But when he gets really excited he talks fast and the texas twang comes out. :yes:

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Fixin' to is a point of contention between my aunt (from Alabama) and my uncle (from Iowa). He refuses to accept that that is ok to say, it's funny to hear them argue about it! :)

Iowa? Who gives a rat's patoot what folk from Iowa think is okay to use? Iowa? Is that on some map somewhere? Your auntie is absolutely right. :yes:

You forget, brother R, that I'm from Iowa - and now a Southerner. So how does that work?? :blink:

My family in Iowa quite enjoy hearing our Southern accents. I have a cousin there named Dixie (if you can believe it) - and she swears my sister pronounces her name 'Deek-see'. :lol:

I'm fixin to go to my mom's house over yonder.

See ya'll later.

:P

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

You forget, brother R, that I'm from Iowa - and now a Southerner. So how does that work?? :blink:

Don't worry about your past. You've been assimilated. It's all good! :yes:

Filed: Other Timeline

wow, I just read the post by the person who moved from NJ to NC and I must say, my experience in the area has been a bit different.

I moved from Toronto to the same area. First to Lenoir (6 months) now in Morganton (year and a half), and the friendliest people I've met here are people "from somewhere else", not the locals. The "locals" are outwardly polite, but not very friendly. As someone else mentioned, will ask which church I attend before they ask my name. As a Canadian, I still find that weird and rather frightening after a year and a half.

But to say that The Entire South would be just like it is here in Morganton would be wrong. I've worked with a woman who was from Gastonia who moved to Burke County and even SHE said its just plain backwards here, and even SHE has been treated like an outsider since she moved here. About 20 years ago :blink: And Gastonia is only an hour east of here! Not all areas of NC are like this by any means. Not all areas of the South are like this either.

Morganton is rather boring, not very multi-cultural at all, even tho at initial glance it may seem so. There's a couple of Chinese restaurants, a Greek restaurant, etc etc etc...but the food has been "dummed down" as I say, to appeal to local taste buds, so that to someone who has actually had Real Chinese or Greek food, its just downright blah and bland. And more than just a tetch disappointing. But having foreign food restaurants does not multi-cultural make, actually allowing multi-cultures to exist is multi-cultural.

Funerals here in Morganton are really different. Both of my parents in law have died since I moved here, and I was rather confused at their funerals. Nothing like back home at all, and nothing even like in the movie Elizabethtown, where the Southern cast and producers said its like that all over the South. It ain't. At least not here in Morganton, in my husband's family! Hardly anyone dropped by the house afterward, there was no wake, nothing. Just drop into the funeral service on your lunch break, shake hands, look sad, then back to work!

Take a drive up to Asheville, or down to the coast, and its completely different. Same State, different state of mind.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Y'all PWNED!!

lol :lol: yum.. is lent.. I want some cajun catfish.. or fishfry with hush puppies and of course, sweet tea

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Lived here (the South) my entire life and I love it :)

Although, where I live isn't a "typical" southern town, we're full of Engineers and Rocket Scientists, so things are a bit different from the more rural areas.

And it has been my experience (and from what I've heard from Northerners) that racism is bad across the country, it isn't only Southern.

Are you from Huntsville? Only place I can think of that has a scientific community. I was born and raised in Alabama, but have lived in New Mexico since 1994. I do miss the food (real BBQ and catfish) and "sweet tea", but I get my fix when I go back each year to visit the family. One things for sure...I don't miss the humidity!

Y'all take care!

War Eagle!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Although, where I live isn't a "typical" southern town, we're full of Engineers and Rocket Scientists, so things are a bit different from the more rural areas.

And it has been my experience (and from what I've heard from Northerners) that racism is bad across the country, it isn't only Southern.

Are you from Huntsville? Only place I can think of that has a scientific community. I was born and raised in Alabama, but have lived in New Mexico since 1994. I do miss the food (real BBQ and catfish) and "sweet tea", but I get my fix when I go back each year to visit the family. One things for sure...I don't miss the humidity!

Y'all take care!

War Eagle!!!!

Hello and I am from Bama too. Only thing is fighting words. ROLL TIDE. :lol: See your an auburn fan.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

A

Y'all take care!

War Eagle!!!!

Hello and I am from Bama too. Only thing is fighting words. ROLL TIDE. :lol: See your an auburn fan.

Yep, I BLEEEED orange and blue, and yes, those are fighting words for sure.... We might want to go ahead and call a truce now since most folks here really wouldn't understand the seriousness of this issue between us Alabamians!

I'm from 13 miles north of Montgomery...Millbrook.

Y'all take care!

War Eagle!!!!

Yeah Huntsville. Definitely has plenty of scientists and engineers! :)

WAR EAGLE!!! :D:thumbs:

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!