Jekt

US Tourist Visa for Ukrainian friend/girlfriend.

112 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Her asserted reason: To be immersed in English and get better at it. (She already speaks better English than I do because of her professional training in grammar and usage.) Her real reason was to come here and live with me for a while.

So she lied?

Not a very good bit of advice to give.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One post contributing nothing to the discussion removed, thread bans will follow for any more posts that do nothing more than bait and/or stir up drama.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Do you know if the US embassy will check social networks? Facebook, Vkontakte? before approving a visa?

I don't know if they do. I believe I read in another thread entitled "Tourist Visa for Ukrainians" someone asked the same question and someone replied, "absolutely".

So everyone, I'm traveling to Kiev April 30th to May 16th. If all goes well, which I predict it will, I see myself getting involved in an international relationship. It scares me because #1. they're difficult enough as it is with distance. #2 sometimes I feel like it will be impossible to bring her here then I will be left with two difficult choices, take a risk and marry her, or move on with my life. My family thinks I'm crazy.

She's planning on re-applying for a tourist visa later this summer, as well as applying to masters programs, or even looking for a job if there are any available with her skillset. I may have mentioned this before.

btw, I appreciate everyone's responses and interest. I will keep you all updated, maybe post a picture or two from Ukraine.

Edited by Jekt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jekt,

The only thing difficult about an international relationship is the time apart. Look at traveling to Kiev not as only fulfilling your K-1 meeting requirement, but also a chance to see a place in the world you have never been.

Your family can think you are crazy, but they will be the ones without the experience of Kiev.

My family thought I was crazy too, but once my fiancee (now wife) arived in the USA, they warmed up to her and were obviously less skeptical. So don't let your family sway your decision, they are already happily married. It's now your turn.

Edited by Mike-eeh and Odie

Timeline

Jekt,

The only thing difficult about an international relationship is the time apart. Look at traveling to Kiev not as only fulfilling your K-1 meeting requirement, but also a chance to see a place in the world you have never been.

Your family can think you are crazy, but they will be the ones without the experience of Kiev.

My family thought I was crazy too, but once my fiancee (now wife) arived in the USA, they warmed up to her and were obviously less skeptical. So don't let your family sway your decision, they are already happily married. It's now your turn.

How long did it take for you to bring your wife over? Did you end up spending most of your time on skype with only a few visits before you got her a K1 Visa?

Also, what if you applied for a K-1 Visa, and you couldn't get married in the allotted 90 days. I understand the K-1 Visa only allows entry into the country 1 time, but is it frowned upon if you didn't get married, and reapply for another K-1 Visa?

It wouldn't make sense to apply and receive a K-1 visa only to allow the 90 days to run out. It takes months to be approved for the visa and it's costly. If you apply, make sure you can get married legally in the 90 days. Take your time. You don't need to meet once and decide to get married. Being in a long-distance relationship for a while, visiting when you can and seeing if you're right for each other in the long run is much better than a snap decision, especially if you're feeling uncertain.

05/14: We were married!!

06/04/14: Finally marriage license was recorded & we got a copy

06/05/14: AOS package mailed via Fed Ex overnight to USCIS Chicago Lockbox

06/06/14: (Day 00) Confirmation of delivery & receipt date recorded by USCIS

06/11/14: (Day 05) NOA 1 Hard copy of receipt received

06/13/14: (Day 07) Form I-797C received, Biometrics appointment scheduled for July 8

07/01/14: RFE for co-sponsor salary and tax info, which was already sent with original package. Resent a copy on 07/08/14.

07/08/14: (Day 32) Biometrics appt.

08/10/14: (Day 65) Noticed that USCIS status has changed from Initial Review to Testing & Interview!

08/21/14: (Day 76) Received EAD/AP in the mail!

09/25/14: (Day 111) Email notice with interview date set for OCT. 29!

10/29/14: (Day 145) Interview day - APPROVED!!!

09/21/16: Mailed in I-751 Removal of Conditions

10/14/16: Biometrics appointment

8/8/17: Mailed N-400 Naturalization Application

8/15/17: USCIS texted that they've received N-400

9/8/17: Scheduled for biometrics 

10/11/17: In Line to be Scheduled for N-400 Interview
6/23/18: N400 Interview (recommended for approval pending I751)

8/1/18: I751 Interview - approved

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I feel for you. The K-1 process is pretty straight forward and there are not nearly as many gothca's as in the tourist visa process. My advice. When you in Kiev start thinking as if you'll be applying for a K-1 in the future. Take some pictures together at places that have background that is clearly in Ukraine. Keep your boarding pass. If you go to a show keep the ticket stubs and be sure to take a picture of the two of you together. One piece of advice on what NOT to do under any circumstances... do NOT get married to her while you are overseas. Doing so means you then must apply for a spousal visa and the process is MUCH MUCH longer. So no matter how things go realize that your time apart would be elongated by getting married in her country As for the K-1 one of the requirements for obtaining it is a affidavit from both of you saying you intend to marry within 90 days of entering the USA. Therefore to use the K-1 as a tourist visa without the intent to actually get married within 90 days of entering would be considered Visa Fraud. Have a great time in Ukraine.. Take the opportunity to try to see the USA from a foreign perspective. It is extremely educational to get such a perspective on the USA

-

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Jekt, Im in similar issue as you regarding vistor visas.

Im from ND and my GF is from east ukraine. She came here on a j1 and married to a man that was abusive so after a messy divorce she now has a green card and after finding me :D we have been struggling to get her brother and mom a visa to come visit us on some holidays. With half a dozen property and tons of banks accounts etc etc.... you frikn name it. All the Officer ever asks is questions about my gf and how she divorced so quickly after getting her greencard. Its a rediculous situation for honest familys to be in. Her familys visas seems to be denied becasue she left an abusive man making her status look like the general stereotype.

Advice i have read about on other forums for reapplications are requesting a letter from a senator and or having them apply for visa to another country to add to proof. Neither of these are really applicable to your situation. Your basically stuck marrying the woman and doing K-1. I can promise you that you will never be bored with a ukrainian woman though, but when you piss her off she will cut your nuts.. SO up to you.

Let us know how your trip is

To bad the protests have destroyed downtown kiev. Its quite gorgeous.

Timeline

I'm in Kiev right now. It's a nice city. The subway smells like piss but otherwise its a cool city.

Here are a few pictures. We took an image of our receipt from visiting St. Sophia Cathedral in Kiev.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whxa3dnv1kd48a4/Photo%20May%2001%2C%205%2041%2029%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqzpdg2s2t96hi3/Photo%20May%2001%2C%206%2002%2059%20PM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How long did it take for you to bring your wife over? Did you end up spending most of your time on skype with only a few visits before you got her a K1 Visa?

Also, what if you applied for a K-1 Visa, and you couldn't get married in the allotted 90 days. I understand the K-1 Visa only allows entry into the country 1 time, but is it frowned upon if you didn't get married, and reapply for another K-1 Visa?

It took about 9 months for her to come over, but we were taking our time (delayed the interview) so she could come over in January (we applied in May). If we didnt delay it would have taken 5 months as our initial packet was approved very quickly (by July). We spent most of our time on Skype, LINE/Viber Chat applications. And we also visited in Singapore for two weeks to satisfy the K-1 requirements.

If you dont get married in 90 days, legally she would have to return home and then reapply again. There are no limits on how many times you can apply, but each time she applies she will have to genuinely prove she is going to the USA to marry. She would also need to explain why she did not marry the first time as a CO may suspect she is using a K-1 to briefly live there a few months and return home.

Timeline

Oh I couldn't go that long without seeing her at this point. I'm definitely going back to Ukraine if she can't get any other type of visa. I leave here the 16th, it's going to be very difficult for the both of us.

As for K1, do you need to show some type of income? I am currently waiting on applications to physician assistant programs here in New York. If I get accepted, I won't be working. How will that affect things? Will I need my family to sponsor her/us?

Edited by Jekt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As for K1, do you need to show some type of income? I am currently waiting on applications to physician assistant programs here in New York. If I get accepted, I won't be working. How will that affect things? Will I need my family to sponsor her/us?

For the embassy you will need an I-134 with proof of income meeting the requirements. A co-sponsor is also an option, but some embassies may not accept co-sponsors. I'm not sure about Ukraine one way or the other in that regard.

If the visa is granted and you get married here, you will need to meet the requirements of the I-864 before you can apply to adjust her status. (Which costs $1,070 to do.) Be aware that if you don't file for the adjustment of status prior to the expiration of her I-94, she will be considered out of status and can technically be deported. (Although this is very rare, it can happen.)

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.