Luthias&Lee

lets have some fun

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

We rotate the noodles but I'm with you..I prefer the Canton too. I suggested we try Baby Back Adobo a few months back. Bam! It's a hit!

That sounds good and I know it would be a hit in our home too

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

good.gif on your "good" list.

& You are spot on about the Baka. We tried every which way to find a decent tasting Steak....strike out.

I thought - almost frozen San Mig was okay with some Calamansi and a salted rim. Reminds me a bit of Mexican Beers.

Chinook and I had some fabulous meals at Fridays Resort on Boracay, but the steak was a complete strike out, and it wasn't inexpensive either! I mistakenly thought that if anyone would serve a delicious steak, it would be Fridays. There's so much good food in the Philippines that I won't waste my time with steak anymore.

You're right about the San Mig. It goes down okay with plenty of calamansi...lol

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The good:

Fresh fruit juice or fruit shakes...mango...pineapple...watermelon...dalandan

Blue marlin

Gambas

Pancit molo

Prawns

Steamed clams

Kinilaw

Tinola

Monggo

Chicken inasal

Pork BBQ

And much more

The bad:

Steak

Hamburgers

Banana ketchup

Filipino beer

The ugly:

Bagaoong

Tuyo

Balut

Durian

thanks for the list. Looking forward to the new experience and some R&R

If I remember right, we were on the Bay Walk on Manila Bay, and I think my wife ordered fried baby octopus. We brought it back to our room and I forgot all about it, and picked up the bag with it in and looked inside, and the bag went flying through the air because it startled me so much. Those little tentacles and all, looking like fried giant spiders... Ugh! Even today my stomach turns at remembering.

But my favorite I suppose would be something that was quite simple. I liked the breakfast we had at our hotel most mornings of fried rice and hot dogs, with eggs and toast.

Edited by Brijo

Let's have some fun. I have not been to the Philippines yet. What is your favorite food you tried and what food you just can't stand yet your wife finds it funny because she loves it.

What food did I like? I like Jollibee. Yeah, I said it.

What can I not stand? Dried fish. Don't even let it in the house.

Its funny I never went to Jollibee the entire time I was there in phil. I love adobo, and siopao. I tried something when I was in Coron that was served on a sizzling hotplate, I'm thinking it was call sisig? I'm not good at remembering the names of food there lol. And balut? Yuk! The thought of eating that just makes me sick.

So when are you going to phil?

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Its funny I never went to Jollibee the entire time I was there in phil. I love adobo, and siopao. I tried something when I was in Coron that was served on a sizzling hotplate, I'm thinking it was call sisig? I'm not good at remembering the names of food there lol. And balut? Yuk! The thought of eating that just makes me sick.

I have made adobo so I would like to see how close mine is to the real thing lol. I should get my passport sometime next month. Maybe June or July and yes I know its going to be so hot. I will bring shorts and lots and lots of sunscreen :)

Jollibee is the first place we are going to eat

Jollibee is disgusting! Avoid it if you can.

I have made adobo so I would like to see how close mine is to the real thing lol.

Adobo recipes vary quite a bit depending on the region of the Philippines.

Timeline

True Story = Met Chester @ Caluwayan. Chester was on an extended vacation. Chester spent his days drunk and eating whatever he saw. Chester confided that he had already suffered E-Coli from eating "street food" & was still recovering. (but) That didn't stop him from eating it.

Chester's fiancée called our house 1 day to ask me "please hurry to the hospital". My wife and I were not home and the Bunso did not tell us until we returned. Too late. Not that I could do anything but I suppose he hoped I could or maybe give me stateside family contact info.

Anyway - last I heard...Chester was riding a block of Ice in the local Morgue. People at the resort told us he got E-coli again & due to his drunkard state = did not get on it before it got him.

Best be careful with the "street food". helpsmilie.gif

When you hit Manila - make your way to Shangri - La, Edsa. Some pretty good restaurant's in the plaza (inside and out). The Sushi joint - SumoSam (level 6) was one of our Fav's.

Other than that - anything and everything my wife cooks is masarap. (except I don't much like the Sinigang...not my wife's fault...just too sour for me)

I suggest you eat any and all seafood dishes put in front of you (except street food dishes). Fresh from the Ocean to your plate = no muddy flavor - the way it's supposed to taste!...now I'm hungry...

it's a good thing I'm not a drunk besides my woman will be taking me to the places likes. Thanks for the advice

Filed: Timeline

I love sizzling sisig. It's a Cebuano dish - but when I order it I ask the cook to make it with chicken instead of pork. Normally it's made with the meaty parts of the pigs head - I'm just not too keen on eating anything from the neck up.

Filed: Timeline

Let's have some fun. I have not been to the Philippines yet. What is your favorite food you tried and what food you just can't stand yet your wife finds it funny because she loves it.

I've been to Phil 3 times now and I have never had Jollibee. Went there once in one of the malls, looked at the menu and decided I'd rather go somewhere else. I figure if I am travelling half way around the world, no way i'm eating fast food.

My favorite dish by far is crispy patta - deep fried pig knuckles. So bad for you but it's def. masarap. I love kare-kare although it gives me the runs everytime, I think it's the peanut sauce that doesn't agree with me but I'll still eat it anyway b/c its that good.

This might be blasphemy but I'm not a fan of adobo - the main reason being is every time I have had it, it's salty. I don't like salty foods but my fiance said she will make it for me where it's not salty so looking forward to that :)

Also love pancit cantoon b/c it has liver in it, I love anything with liver or just bbq liver on a stick is good too. I want to try dinuguan but haven't had the opportunity to.

Never had street food. Ate Balut once and it was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted in my life. It smelled like dirty wet gym socks and the whole vision/smell senses almost made me gag trying to swallow it. I chugged a San Mig right after.

I don't like dried fish either but once I ate these real tiny dried fish, they looked like sardines but they were about the length of a fingernail. I actually liked them. Had kind of a earthy, fiberish taste/texture.

If you're in the provinces try to drink some tuba, just for the experience.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.